Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Caprica 1x12 "Things We Lock Away" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Caprica 1x12 "Things We Lock Away" $$
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what was up with that second Zoe that kept showing up this week? Is she an imaginary friend/hallucination, or are the angels from BSG making a comeback?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing angels, but they usually take the form of somebody the person knows, not the person themselves. It's even more strange considering this "Angel Zoe" has existed since real Zoe was a child.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm 99% sure that's one of the messengers. As for appearing to Zoe as her older self, one of them did (or rather, will) appeared to Baltar as Baltar at one point, so it's hardly unprecedented. As for knowing what she'd eventually look like, it's a
either a simple DNA extrapolation or they simply have a broader, non-linear view of time than humans. Indeed, where else did Pythia and the proto-Hybrid get their prophecies from?

The curious thing though is that it's encouraging Zoe to create artificial life raises the question are they trying to break the cycle started on Kobol (the impression one was left with from Galactica) or perpetuate it? I mean they must know the five "Earth Cylons" are already on their way at near relativistic speed. If there was no Cylon War on when they arrived, how differently would things have gone?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well RIP Caprica.

http://trekmovie.com/2010/10/27/syfy-cancels-ron-moores-caprica-moore-talks-trek-technobabble-nitpickers/

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good. like i said on the thread in TM, id rather beat off to miget pr0n than watch the utter bullshit 'Sci-Fi' puts out...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Well it was a good show, I just don't think it moved at a fast enough pace for the general "SyFy" audience. In other words, it needed more wrestling. Though don't touch that midget pr0n yest, cause another BSG prequel is coming, BSG: Blood and Chrome.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not at all unexpected; I gather the ratings were utterly abysmal.

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw that some shows find an audience early on and some don't but in this case I think a big problem was the fact that the very early episodes were deathly slow and spent too time wheel spinning and wallowing in the immediate aftermath of the pilot rather than pushing forward.

A shame overall since it was always an interesting show and has been getting really good of late, but in some regards I think it squandered an opportunity.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to the proposed "Blood and Chrome" series. On the one hand, what little we saw of the first Cylon war in Razor was certainly fun, on the other it rather smacks of dead horse beating. Either way, Bear McCreary had better be the composer. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Are you kidding me, his music is like the soundtrack to my soul. Interestingly enough, Blood and Chrome won't be a combined effort between Ron Moore and David Eick, but soley an Eick production. That might really affect the quality of the storytelling, but who knows.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mars:
quote:
Well it was a good show, I just don't think it moved at a fast enough pace for the general "SyFy" audience
Indeed, but the problem was twofold. You had the glacial development and countless molassy "brooding" scenes, where people brood, combined with super-shaky camera focus in extreme closeup almost all the time, preferably in a siderolling tracking shot to top things off.

I feel like Denis Leary. "Clerk says to the police: yeah, he came in asking for sci-fi-flavored sci-fi, whatever the hell THAT is, then he called me a Haiku-writing motherfucker. I'm glad he's dead, I really am."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back I said I wanted to see a mini series of the first Cylon war. By mini series I don't mean just 4 to 6 episodes but possibly a full season worth of 22 to 24 episodes. Only because 6 isn't enough for the whole story and it would feel rushed. But a regular series risks drawing out the story too long like Caprica did.

If it were me, I'd focus on young Adama through out the war. Ending with the arrival of the Five and making a deal with the Cylons to end the war. Possibly with the first of the human form Cylons being created. Not sure exactly when Cavil killed the Five and having their memories wiped and placed within the colonies.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Not at all unexpected; I gather the ratings were utterly abysmal.

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw that some shows find an audience early on and some don't but in this case I think a big problem was the fact that the very early episodes were deathly slow and spent too time wheel spinning and wallowing in the immediate aftermath of the pilot rather than pushing forward.

Well, that's what happens when you build a frakking SIX MONTH HIATUS into the middle of your first season. And change the time slot, too. It's no wonder they didn't draw an audience. Idiots, the lot of them.

There is a fundamental flaw in how a television audience is measured, and science fiction is getting the short end of the stick because its audience tends to be much savvier. And I can sum the problem up in one word: Nielsens.

TV networks worship at the altar of almighty ratings, which magically determine whether a show lives or dies. Fair enough; if people really aren't watching a show, then it's not going to make money, and doesn't deserve to be produced. That makes sense. But these days there are a dozen ways you can watch a show; live, recorded, online, DVD.... And yet, the Nielsens only count direct TV transmissions. Hell, until two years ago, they didn't even count people who recorded the episode to watch later!

I paid $45 to subscribe to the show with iTunes, so I can watch the show when and where I please. (I don't pay for a TV service.) Given the networks' current business model, my money was pure profit for them. But did my purchase count towards any audience figures at all? I seriously doubt it. I suspect that Caprica's audience was a fair bit larger than they ever counted.

So, for all the geek sci-fi fans who watch their favorite shows on iTunes or Hulu (or other, arguably less than "legal" sources), those people aren't counted at all. People who buy the DVDs later because they enjoy the show aren't counted. And so, the high cost of production gets a deceptively smallish audience accounting. It's no wonder sci-fi shows rarely last long.

*sigh* I think I need to find a new favorite genre. But then again, if I watch any "reality' TV, I might as well just blow my brains out.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Don't watch reality shows. Do what the normal people do and stick to the your Law & Orders, CSIs, and their many millions of spin-offs and rip-offs. Christ, I don't know how crime dramas have existed for so long.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
probably because they are the only formula that works... [Smile]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...(or other, arguably less than 'legal' sources)..."

To be fair, the network wouldn't want to include P2P viewers in their ratings. You could have a show that has ten million people downloading it and no-one watching it legitimately. As far as the network is concerned, zero people are watching the show, because, as far as the advertisers are concerned, zero people are watching it. And they're not going to buy ads during a show if no-one's going to see them.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Agreed, at least as far as advertising goes. But then, the studio makes a killing on the DVDs, which are usually purchased by people who watch the show. The DVDs don't factor into the network's decision, either.

Also, don't forget what happened with the first season of the new BSG: for whatever dumb reason, they aired it six months early in the UK, and a lot of people in the US started P2P-ing it so they didn't have to wait. That gave the show a HUGE boost via word-of-mouth advertisement, courtesy of the illegal networks.

My point is, whatever system the network uses to gauge its audience is horribly broken, and the system of using live/cable advertising as the sole source of funding for a show is horribly broken too.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps