Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 2x07 The Greater Good $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 2x07 The Greater Good $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, how contrived. Oops, we're on a ship that's blasted away from the Destiny, so like, we have to know Destiny's codes and stuff. And why is anyone buying Rush's *obvious* deceptions? I mean, I think Young knows Rush is hiding something, but not *what*, which should be glaringly obvious by now; and nobody else has any clue except that he's being weird. It's like the crew is made up of idiots.

That snakelike guy (dunno his name - the Lucian alliance guy who's a dick and so forth) needs to be spaced. Or at least locked up and not allowed contact with the others (the others on his old crew or the others on Destiny as a whole). Another instance of people on Destiny being remarkably stupid.

However, at least the crew finally knows about the bridge and stuff.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Rush's explanation of the mission even *plausible*? Also, agreed on creepy asshole dude. He needs to GTFO.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The creepy guy = the fucktard from Heroes season 4. Can't STAND his acting. It's all the same. I'm really annoyed that they added this actor after having such a prominant role as a bad guy in a recent series.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say that fact that you hate him only shows that the man's doing his job. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Is Rush's explanation of the mission even *plausible*?

Well if you can take for granted the assumption that there was an intelligence present at the big bang, then sure. Of course it raises numerous questions about the nature and origin of the universe (which is good, hard and classic sci-fi) as it implies an intelligence (I refuse to use the "G" word...you know It doesn't like that word ;-) ) might pre-date our universe. Of course that could "just" mean it's from another universe or from this one but was somehow able to alter the structure of reality.
..Or the Minbari were right and the universe is all one single consciousness...Or the Mayans and Futurama were right and time is cyclical.

Either way, it probably has something to do with the giant obelisk, planet & star builders. Perhaps the ancients somehow figured out where they were, or where they were going to be?

The CMB itself is defiantly a real phenomenon and as Young said, is a remnant of the event we call the Big Bang. As to how there could be structure to it, well that's where the easy "advanced alien technology" get-out clause comes into play. Not that I have a problem with that mind, so long as it's outside our ability to prove or disprove it's all within the realms of possibility.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else think it's time to introduce some more background characters to fill in some of those seats on the Bridge?

V. annoyed with the ending, so I guess they've gotten the correct reaction from the viewer! Where was the guard though? Agreed with the view that he needs to be spaced!

Just had a thought - this crew REALLY needs some wins soon, or the morbidity of the whole thing is really going to weigh down on the regular viewer! SG1, SGA, BSG they all got their fair share of wins after some struggles. Sometimes it was a little too easy in SGA.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this search for The Great Intelligence is enough of a reason for those (civilians) aboard Destiny to forgo trying to get home. Sure, there's a change that this may be their only way to get home, but I can't see them not looking for other avenues to return to Earth. I guess it'll boil down to a matter of faith.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who figured that Ginn is doomed the moment we saw Eli's shirt on her bed? (No spoilers, please.)

Why was Eli so upset at Dr. Perry's make-out session with Rush? It's not like we haven't seen other characters go much further...

I kinda like the CMB idea... it's the kind of far-out theory that's crazy enough to fit in sci-fi, but has enough grounding in the real world to make some sense. For instance, I could see real-life science not being able to investigate the theory at all until we can leave the planet to investigate the CMB from another location.

My initial guess about this "pattern" in the CMB is that it's related to the small variations in the CMB as we look out in different directions. (As the Wiki article states, the CMB is not uniform in all directions.) I imagine that Destiny's mission, in part, is to gather data on the CMB from many different viewpoints in the universe to try to "connect the dots" in this supposed pattern.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The only thing about the mission is - when the Ancients launched Destiny, did they really think they'd live long enough to last the distance, or did they predict that descendents would find their way to destiny? Hence why all Stargates have a 9th chevron?

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MinutiaMan: Cuz she was in Ghin's body. He even said to her, "Sometimes it's hard to remember we're in somebody else's body." If it hadn't been Ghin he probably wouldn't have cared, but seeing someone you care about macking on someone else has got to be unsettling, even if you know it's not really her.

Andrew: Probably the second guess.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel: Yeah, I know it was because it was his new girlfriend's body. But my point is that he had no right to be angry based on previous episodes.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because other people have taken the "I can do anything I want with this body while I'm in it" approach doesn't mean he has to agree with it or keep his opinions to himself.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

It does raise serious ethical issues that they've barely if at all explored.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

If my body was used for a stone-swap i'd be having an STD check regularly!

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
If my body was used for a stone-swap i'd be having an STD check regularly!

It does bring a whole new meaning to the whole "When you have sex with someone..." campaign. [Wink]

I didn't say that I disagree with Eli, I was commenting more on the fact that his cold reaction was so starkly different from the indifferent attitude that everyone else in the show has had so far.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
It does raise serious ethical issues that they've barely if at all explored.

I think one of the Kinosodes directly addresses it. IIRC it has some airwoman in Chloe's body explaining that they all sign wavers for the use of their bodies for conjugal visits and the like. I'm sure both parties have to abide by certain agreements and as we saw with the quadriplegic physicist (I've forgotten her name already) relevant medical conditions need to be taken into account.
For example, Eli's mum is HIV positive so whomever swapped with her needed to be aware of that (conjugals obviously out of the question in that instance.)

Eli's reaction was may not have been totally rational but I think it was understandable under the circumstances.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps