Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 2x09 "Visitation" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 2x09 "Visitation" $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, who thinks they're heading in the direction of the planet-building aliens and the structure in the fabric of the universe being related?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could be. I wonder why the aliens did return the stragglers to Destiny. Did they know the humans would die again eventually, so they figured they might as well let them have some time with their friends? Well at least there's one shuttle back on Destiny, which they were sorely missing two weeks ago.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And depending on how you interpret the ending, Caine might not actually have died. (Either in the shuttle or on Destiny.)

But as interesting as the story was, what's the point? Clearly there's some alien involvement of some kind, most likely the same ones who built the obelisk and presumably the planet. But if everyone on the planet died, what was the point of "resurrecting" them and sending them back to Destiny, only to twistedly have them die again? To let the rest of the crew know what happened to them? That doesn't make sense.

At this point, literally the only solid fact we have (from an audience perspective) is that TJ saw that glowing nebula in the sky before she saw it "for real" on Destiny. In fact, that's the only remaining element of her hallucination/vision that hasn't been disproven or called into question.

So either TJ's vision was faked, or the return of Caine and the others was faked (that is, the "real" Caine is still alive in his cabin with the baby). I would say that the former would be a much simpler conclusion.

I kinda liked Rush's reaction to that "God" argument. It just goes to point out all the logical flaws in the concept of an all-knowing, all-powerful deity. (IMO, of course.)

And I loved Eli's quotation of Clarke's Third Law. Someone had to say it—I've been thinking of it for a while! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question is - why would a presumably omnipitent race build an obelisk on a planet? Interesting that when Caine called for help they came. Maybe they built the obelisk to be worshipped? A new aliens as gods thread?

Anyone get reminded of ascended ancients when you saw the glowing light at the end?

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blah. I was bored by this ep. I think that's all I need to say.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's pretty clear that TJ's vision came from Destiny itself, just like Rush's two "Harveys" and Young's dreams/simulations. That nebula was probably already on the ship's sensors or in the logs from the seed ships.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was thinking that while watching the episode. The ship probably got into her brain to make her feel better.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That idea sounds quite reasonable from a practical standpoint of answering the mystery. I like it.

But on a deeper level, that means that the there's a much bigger problem: the ship can lie. It doesn't matter if it's arguably a helpful kind of lie, it means that the ship could be providing false information. And that would open up a huge can of worms...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More to the point I think it further implies something I've suspected since the first episodes; the ship itself is conscious, sentient and possibly even sapient.

As for providing false information...that's not quite what it's doing since it's not as if this is raw data, it's an unconsciously induced vision. From a machine's perspective it might see it as a sort of software patch; making sure the ship's medic is emotionally stable just like it tried to do with Young.

Still, from the get-go the ship has been looking out for the crew, locking out addresses to certain dangers, seeking out resources and supplies that they need, etc. Even if it did outright lie, nothing that's happened so far would indicate it would knowingly endanger the crew in this way. Indeed, given how firm a grasp it's developed on the crew's individual personalities it's probably much better equipped to anticipate their responses, decreasing the likelihood of them endangering themselves by being contrary.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Oh, I agree with all that. Certainly the ship seems to have the crew's best interests in mind. ...So far. It's easy to imagine some kind of "ship run amok" story coming down the road. That's what I'm worried about.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I doubt they'll go down that route. I mean if the thing hasn't gone crazy after spending millions of years with only the CMB for company then it's not about to go all HAL 9000 now...hang on. An AI spending millions of years listening to an intelligent signal from the dawn of creation? What if the ship wasn't launched with an AI to begin with at all? What if that universal consciousness has at least partially imprinted itself on the ship's computer? Sounds very Carl Sagan. [Wink]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I wonder what the ship thinks of Rush? [Smile]
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That he should have told the crew he had control of the bridge? [Razz]
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life imitates art.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Okay, so who was saying that the Destiny mission is implausible? [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps