Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Destiny's Third Shuttle

Author Topic: Destiny's Third Shuttle
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I just rewatched S1 of SGU. In "Air", they say Destiny has two shuttles. But throughout the season, their are several exterior shots that seem to show a third, empty, shuttle berth sitting right behind the berth for the damaged shuttle and facing aft.

Anybody else see that? Any idea if it's actually a spot for a third shuttle or something else?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I mentioned that in the review of said episode. [Smile] Yes, it's obviously a third shuttle berth. In my view, either the third shuttle was missing in some previous adventure piror to the Icarus bunch arriving, it had been knocked off in any of the myriad natural phenomena Destiny has been through in the million-plus years it's been travelling, or it was left deliberately empty in case the Ancients came along needing to dock SOMETHING there, such that they wouldn't need to move shuttles around temporarily to do so. They did something similar on the ISS during the earlier phases of its construction, where the crew had to temporarily pile into one of their Soyuz ships to move it to another docking port, to free it up for another one to arrive.

I prefer to believe that there was at some point a third shuttle, or at least parts for one somewhere on the ship. Destiny doesn't have much modularity to it, nor much capacity for repair - there don't seem to be any actual shuttle bays, or cargo bays that can open to space. Whatever they wanted to do wit the ship, they were clearly going to bring what they needed to do it through the gate if Destiny didn't already have it. As such, whatever they needed HAS to be able to fit through the gate. Since there isn't really a place we know of to build a new one inside, and as fas as we know Destiny isn't much of an atmospheric ship (stardiving aside) so they can build one on a planet, it makes sense to conclde that there simply was one berthed back there at some point.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2097566&forumid=31

off topic/off target but... Robotech has anything remotely simular or related to SG-anything?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Mark. It's been awhile since I read that post [Smile]

I'm thinking we'll find out at some point (assuming the series continues in some way) that some other group has been on the ship at some point. Rush said specifically that the Ancients were never there. But someone else could have been.

Though, you'd think there would be *some* kind of evidence of their presence. Toilet seats up... a pair of undies left laying... something.

Perhaps the Icarus group somehow travels back in time and ends up on the ship in the distant past. They might have purposefully erased traces of their presence. Except for the missing shuttle that they somehow lose/destroy.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the most likely explanation is that it was simply destroyed at some point in the past. We know something damaged the 2nd shuttle rather badly, so it's completely plausible.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps