Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Doctor Who 6x01 "The Impossible Astronaut" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Doctor Who 6x01 "The Impossible Astronaut" $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eleventh Doctor will apparently live for two hundred years at which point he'll return to Earth and be killed by someone in a 1960's vintage space suit. Or not.

Amy's apparently pregnant. That was my first thought when she wanted to go to the bathroom, but then River felt sick to her stomach after forgetting The Silence a second time. Maybe part of how that works?

The Silence are pretty darn creepy.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Oh they're "the silence"? I didn't pick up on that. A fun episode overall...if a tad melodramatic. Nice to see Mark Sheppard, that bloke is always fun to watch.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were never mentioned by name in the episode, but in promotional material they're called The Silence.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the Doctor said he was 1103 years old, I thought they were finally correcting that erroneous 900-odd age they've been using since the series started up again. Oh well.

Now, is it just me, or, if the Doctor and River really are moving in reverse chronological order to each other, wouldn't they never have any experiences in common, except for whichever adventure they happen to be having at the time?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well, when we first met River, she was the Doctor's wife, had shared lots of adventures, and then promptly died. This was when the Doctor first met her. So we're working from the Doctor's point of view, which will end when he meets River for River's first time. I think.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, but what I'm saying is that, if their timelines really are moving in opposite directions, then, every time they meet, all of their adventures that are in the Doctor's past are in River's future, and vice versa. So, when they "synchronize their diaries", they should never find that they have any shared experiences. (With the exception of Future Doctor in this episode, since he was sort of out of chronological order.)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Hmm. I see what you're saying. It seems like after this event is when the Doctor started keeping his diary, knowing that he would someday go back far enough to share it with River. The appropriate-aged Doctor knew nothing of the contents.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except this little jolly away from prison looks like it's meant to take place after the last one from River's perspective too...actually I'm not 100% certain of that. Did River already know Amy when she met her for the first time (from Amy's POV)?

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Temporal mechanics always gives me a headache.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone watch "Day of the Moon" FAR more questions after that episode. I thought it was a great episode too!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there was a "Hello River, I'm Amy" scene in their first episode. Likewise there's no point where River "meets" Rory for the first time.

I'm sure this episode is meant to take place before the others for River. That's why she doesn't try and kiss him in any prior episode. (Also, that bit was really sad.)

Moffat does love his WTF endings. Good thing he's good at them. And yeah, the bit with Amy in the room with the Silence hanging from the ceiling scared the shit out of my girlfriend.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Here is a dual timeline that someone made to try to work out the whole Doctor/River thing.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Hmm. That could help. I wonder who the "good man" was/is?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Personally, I just assumed it was the Doctor, but that's just me.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just realized that Alex Kingston bears a slight resemblance to world champion weightlifter Markus Ruhl.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps