Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Earth2....errr. Terra Nova $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Earth2....errr. Terra Nova $$
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm too childish not to be wooed by time travel and dinosaurs, so I'll keep watching if it stays at this current level of quality, but it seems a bit of a missed opportunity over all. Thankfully it's no where near as cutesy as Falling Skies (where the characters had far less reason to be eternally cheerful as the ones in Terra Nova do), but it's never really going to break away from the family values "moral of the week" style and become the hard hitting story of drama and frontier peril it could be. For every opening scene that has a red shirt discovered with his eyes pecked out, there'll be a little girl saying "I wuv yoo daddy!" as the rest of the characters crowd around, beaming, with tears of joy and pride in their eyes.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, did everyone else BUT my wife call it the moment Jim sneezed that THAT was going to be the "Cure" for the memory disease? OR that the girlfriend would be hooked up with the Sixers somehow? About the only thing that really seemed to MEAN anything in this episode was revealing facts about Taylor's wife and history. Otherwise 'scan two more anomalies and beam back to sector space'.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
OK, did everyone else BUT my wife call it the moment Jim sneezed that THAT was going to be the "Cure" for the memory disease?
I am glad to have gotten some small doublethink ability, allowing me to not-predict plot turns, and be surprised.
In swedish cinema studies, if during the movies you go "I'll bet Blank will turn out to be Blank...see, what did I tell you?" they chop your dick off on general principle. After Hitchcock month, plenty of dicks rolling down the isles. During second semester, the theater was wonderfully quiet. Not even a peep about Keyser Soze.

I like the feel of this show. I hope there'll be some Liopleurodon-action at some point, minisubs and all that. Bonefish.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With new shows I tend to have a "three strikes and you're out" policy. That's three episodes in a row that I don't enjoy on any level (Jeremiah was the only one I let get up to four strikes.) As of that last episodes, Terra Nova is on it's second strike. One more and I'm out.

[ October 13, 2011, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S01E05 ohfor-
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but on the positive side, there was a nice cameo from Newt. Strange though, she hasn't grown much in the past few decades...

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
...but on the positive side, there was a nice cameo from Newt. Strange though, she hasn't grown much in the past few decades...

Rev, that's hilarious because I thought the EXACT same thing. I looked at my wife and said "They mostly come at night....MOSTLY..." and of course she didn't get the reference.

These first few episodes seem so derivative to me. I keep thinking that it has a feel like "Eureka, 30,0000 B.C.". You have the cop that's out of his league that seems to be the key to solving everything, teen angst (though that went away in E), Super smart Sci-Chick who is in a relationship with Cop AND has a past with Brainy Nerd Sci-dude from the past causing three way drama. Then couple that with the stories seemingly ripped from whatever novel they bought at the used book store this week and it is really irritating that they are doing so little with what COULD be a good premise.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

What's really bothering me though is the sixers. I mean OK, they're living rough so I get them having tatty clothes and not always looking very clean, but what's with the all the tribal markings? More to the point, why do they only dress up like that when they turn up to threaten the colony despite being drastically out numbered, out gunned...seriously, why didn't they just sonic the lot of them right then and there? But I digress. When we see Miss sixer boss lady back at the Ewok village all the war paint is gone, so it's clearly something done for the...uh...Novans(?) benefit. Which is especially silly considering what's wandering around in the bushes out there. I mean seriously, next to a bunch of bloody huge theropods, some painted on claw marks aren't exactly intimidating are they?

It almost feels like the show runners are just blindly copying The Others from Lost without a clear idea of their own what these people are about.

Still...I'm hanging in there for the time being.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

quote:
Still...I'm hanging in there for the time being.
 -
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

^Rest assured, you won't have to pry this show from my cold, bored fingers. [Wink]

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cheapest, most expensive show on TV.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
The cheapest, most expensive show on TV.

well there are some perks with using those guns... they're lighter than a real gun (no idea what real world equivalent they would be) i'd imagine... easy to aim... and clearly sized for Terra Nova's Tween & lower teens Armed Forces...

wow. TV has really gone south in 3 decades that i can really recall what ive ever watched...

oh well, back to DDO and Counter-Strike (and Law & Order on the 2nd monitor)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Nim
Member # 205

Leia's gun in "A new hope" was a BB-gun, what's his point? The guns in question are sonic weapons, there's no good reason at all a real sonic weapon wouldn't have a polymer frame instead of metal. They probably chose those guns for their M41-ish design, which is just smart.

"A dumb show with a dumb premise", that's rich coming from someone who writes action figure reviews and was editor for Anime insider. Yes, green-haired corset-wearing succubi with batwings coming out of their head, that's not dumb, yeah that's "visionary". It's weird that Bricken takes potshots on a show whose demographic is pretty much his entire livelihood. I don't blame him jumping on the hater-bandwagon, but I have no patience for critics criticizing a work they haven't watched, that's a journalistic capital offense.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Yeah, for all the things one could criticise this series for (and they're mounting up rather fast) the use of cheep props isn't one of them. With all the expense involved in location shooting, I'm not surprised they're not blowing the budget on some custom made props that'll spend most of they screen time in the background being held by random extras.

Indeed, I applaud them for their ingenuity and financial responsibility...I just wish I could do the same for the writing...

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps