Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Darkest Dawn

Author Topic: The Darkest Dawn
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it has come to my attention that they finally finished a new Wing Commander game after nearly a DECADE of development. I've been a pretty die-hard fan of the series since I was a little kid so this is pretty exciting for me. I think I remember seeing a few fans (or at least people who've heard of it) so I figured I'd let you all know.

http://www.wcnews.com/

I just hope it isn't as dissapointing as that Freddie Prinze Jr. movie...

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duke Nukem 2...in space!

Anything developed so long likely has 10 tear old graphics too.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well even with that old game engine, there are ways to spruce things up in today's software scene, playing with textures and effects. They probably have some angles to work. For me, the problem is the Wing Commander aesthetic legacy itself. "Boxy" doesn't even begin to cover it, the Kilrathi ships in the screenshots look like LEGOs. It's a 90's thing, I would probably need ten more years before a game like that would bring out comfy nostalgia in me. I count WC-IV as one of my top ten game experiences, not because of the space simulator quality or the ship designs but in spite of them. They were passable but nowhere near "TIE Fighter". It was the narrative, cutscenes and multiple choices that was the sugar to me.

Still waiting for a decent HD-patch for "Tachyon: The Fringe". That game was awesome, flying in space with Bruce Campbell talking in your ear is just heaven, but I'll be damned if I'll play in 1024x768 res.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS1- Star Trek: Invasion remains the best geek out game ever- dialogie by Patrick Stewart and Michael Dorn plus awesome cut scenes, tons of new ship designs, development of a throwaway line of dialogue into a cool enemy, three endings...

And it's a FPS in a fighter- straffing runs on a Romula Warbird kick ass (and no, your fighter cant blow it up- you're just a fighter in a squad!)

Really, it's the reason I bought a PS1 and the only game I bothered to keep.

Youtube some cut scenes- they're better than any single season of Voyager....possible the entire series.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kilrathi ships in WC3 were purposefully angular and asymmetrical, to create contrast with the first two games that had much more generic (and only sprite-based) scifi designs for both sides.

Of course, simple geometric shapes also happened to fit nicely within the polygon budget of a 1994 3D engine (which was even ahead of LucasArts' spacesims at the time) but don't tell that to grandma.

quote:
Duke Nukem 2...in space!

Anything developed so long likely has 10 tear old graphics too.

You're a funny guy, J. That's why I'm going to kill you last.

1) the game you are trying (and failing) to parody is "Duke Nukem Forever", which wasn't part 2 in the series
2) DNF's suckage had nothing to do with its graphics, which were fine
3) this WC game is actually a fan-made total conversion for Volition's FreeSpace 2 engine, which was open-sourced a long time ago and had its rendering code brought up to modern graphical standards, so it too looks fine, capiche?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I stand corrected.

Duke Nukem Forever...IN SPACE! [Razz]

Really, anything spaceship related I'm hoping will be cool- I loves the ships!- but as with movies. anything that takes a decade to be released (like Pluto Nash) tends to suck like a thirsty lamprey in an open airlock.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the game's comedy was also stuck in the 90s. They even make the old Underpants Gnome joke from South Park. Maybe for the sequel they'll make a Portal cake joke.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps