Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Some Doctor Who News (SPOILERS!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some Doctor Who News (SPOILERS!)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING!

There be big spoilers ahead. You have been warned.

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

The news broke today that Matt Smith will be exiting the role of the Doctor in this year's Christmas special. I'm sorry to hear he's going, I've really enjoyed his take on the character.

Let the rampant speculation as to his successor begin!

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is this a spoiler?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
How is this a spoiler?

I'm sure there are some people out there don't want to know that the Doctor is going to regenerate in the Christmas special.

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not if they read any newspaper/website I'm afraid. For example:

"Matt Smith to quit Doctor Who after Christmas special" at Telegraph.com

If only the media would respect spoilers, eh.

I will miss him. Certainly more than David Tennant. Smith has really dine well with the role - my major gripes have been with the production side of things.

Be interesting to see who the media latches onto as their favourite etc.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that just when I get used to a Doctor they swap him out? Sigh. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smith has been ok, but the entire first season I thought he was rubbish in the drama side of things, whenever there was a very dramatic or teary-eyed "We survived..." or "You rescued my daughter..." and a weepy girl wanting to hug him, he always shrugged the tension off uncomfortably with a "Hahaa...!?", Tennant was better in both flamboyance and drama imo. I do agree that Smith got better in the second half of his run, and the last seven eps were really good.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have liked both Tennant and Smith, but I think by this point in Tennant's run I was ready for him to leave, even though I didn't realise it at the time. Whereas I still think we have more to see of Smith, especially now he's finally swapped companions.

Someone at work was suggested he had his eye towards Hollywood, which is also what drew Tennant's eye. It didn't work out for David, but he's had quite a good career on British TV in a variety of roles, plus Russel T Davies was successful in his attempt to make him a "national treasure". Not sure the same can be said for Matt Smith. I used to think Smith was a better actor, but having seen Tennant in other things... we'll see.

And the speculation at this point will be full of people we've heard of, despite the fact that with only two real exceptions (Peter Davison and Christopher Eccleston), the role normally goes to someone relatively unknown.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that is a slight exageration.

Paul McGann was hardly unknown, although that may have been part of the BBC and Fox hoping to make an international seller.

Troughton was well known, as he'd been in just about everything on BBC TV and stage. Pertwee was well known from the radio, stage and film and they really wanted Ron Moody for the 3rd Doctor - hardly an unknown.

Really the only the thing we can say for sure is that Colin Baker isn't going to make a return - he's said no apparently.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fair enough, "unknown" is a bit harsh. Maybe "not well known". When Davison was cast everyone was "oh, the vet from All Creatures, sure, I know him". Paul McGann would have been "y'know, the brother of that guy. He's been in stuff". And wasn't the Doctor the first role Pertwee had ever taken where he wasn't in make-up of some kind?

I'm just saying that I don't think anyone is going to guess who will play the 12th (13th?) Doctor. The role itself is big enough that they don't need a big name for it, and a big name would possibly be a negative at this point.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The role is being filled by Jack Black.
God help you all.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it time to revisit the 4th Doctor's brush with the White Guardian and have the Doctor assume that role so he can regenerate forever? I mean, there's that whole "dozen and done" barrier that has to be worked around somehow, right?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is with the "12 regenerations" limit is was it a physical limit peculiar to Galifreyan physiology, or was it an artificial barrier put in by the High Council of the Time Lords? If it's a forced limitation, then now they're all time-locked it wouldn't matter.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I think the new show will address this at all, but the 12 regeneration thing went out the window the moment Borusa offered the Master a new set of regenerations in "The Five Doctors," with absolutely no information whatsoever about how they would do that. Obviously it was news to the Master as well, since he would have taken advantage of it previously if he'd known about it before.

So that line seems to verify that the Time Lords (or at least the High Council) were able to impose at least a second set of regenerations at will.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I was always a bit confused by RTD's attitude to the whole thing. He said that the fans were obsessed with that, whereas, say, the Third Doctor mentioning that he was thousands of years old is sometihng that everyone ignores quite happily. The thing he didn't seem to understand is that the Doctor having 13 lives was an important fact in at least 3 stories (the Deadly Assassin, the Davison one I can't remember the name of, and the TV movie). But, more relevantly, the Doctor having 13 lives is Very Important Information. It ultimatly doesn't matter how old the Doctor is, but how many times he can regerative matters a great deal, which is why is has stuck in the audiences head. That said, there are a million and one ways out of it, including not mentioning it at all.

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

And the Twelfth Doctor is... Peter Capaldi!

I don't really know much about the guy, other than he was previously on Doctor Who as Caecillius in "The Fires of Pompeii" and was John Frobisher in Torchwood's "Children of Earth".

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps