Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Some Doctor Who News (SPOILERS!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some Doctor Who News (SPOILERS!)
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only Malcolm effing Tucker!

He's been in quite a bit other than those two, and neither of those really are a reflection of his range. He's often playing a baddie or an arsehole. But he does both so well! If you want to learn some interesting insults watch him in The Thick Of It, which DR no. 12 will invariably compared with. Incidentally he's going to be Cardinal Richelieu in the beebs vesion of The Three Musketeers next year, so he might be in two biggies next year.

I am lookimg foreward to see where they take the role with him. It should be interesting. Its also nice to see an older chap again. Hopefully this will encourage the writers to make it less kiddy (and as I always stress, there is a big difference between family friendly and a kids show). As long as they don't dress him like Colin Baker. Or cast another Mellanie Bush.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An old Doctor. Finally. Maybe now I'll start watching the show again, or at least not have to watch with the damn captions on.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, the only actor who was older upon starting the role was William Hartnell, and that was only by a few months. And, actually, Jon Pertwee was the previous second-oldest Doctor, and he quit before he was as old as Capaldi is now.

I wonder if he's going to stick with his Scottish accent, or do what Tennant did.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
An old Doctor. Finally. Maybe now I'll start watching the show again, or at least not have to watch with the damn captions on.

Why does the age of the actor affect whether you have to use captions? Matt Smith has a fairly mild "posh-bloke" accent, but that's surely easier to understand than most British accents?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
In fact, the only actor who was older upon starting the role was William Hartnell, and that was only by a few months. And, actually, Jon Pertwee was the previous second-oldest Doctor, and he quit before he was as old as Capaldi is now.

Although Hartnell played the Doctor as older. And not just in a "he's several hundred years old" sort of way, but in a "he's more 60/70ish than 50ish".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:

Why does the age of the actor affect whether you have to use captions? Matt Smith has a fairly mild "posh-bloke" accent, but that's surely easier to understand than most British accents?
I wouldn't know about Smith, since I've never watched him. I stopped watching the show halfway through the third series, since a) I couldn't get used to Tennant, and b) I couldn't understand what people were saying because they were talking so damn fast.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam : That's certainly true. My point was simply that he's going to be older than anyone else who's played the part since 1966. Not counting John Hurt, obviously.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

He is. Although I guess there's also the argument that 50ish in 2013 is very different to 50ish in 1964, or even 1970. Not that Pertwee played him as "old", really. More "distinguished".

quote:
I wouldn't know about Smith, since I've never watched him. I stopped watching the show halfway through the third series, since a) I couldn't get used to Tennant, and b) I couldn't understand what people were saying because they were talking so damn fast.

I don't think having an older Doctor is going to make much of a difference there, I'm afraid. That's just the speed people talk at on TV these days. I guess it would be tricky if English is a second language.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only difference I can see with having an older looking Doctor is that writers will be less likely to try the romance route with the young lady companions. Not that I had a huge problem with it, but to me it always felt a little...off.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I don't mind that they've done it, and episodes like "Doomsday" are amoungst my favourites. On the other hand, bits like "a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a skirt that's just a little...too...tight" made my skin crawl. I'm hoping that going with an older Doctor will allow the female companions to be a bit less awestruck and a bit more independent.

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Twelfth Doctor's Outfit Revealed

Decent enough. I'm kinda getting a Third Doctor-ish vibe from it, except updated for the 2010s.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps