Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Doctor Who "The Night of the Doctor" Mini-Episode $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Doctor Who "The Night of the Doctor" Mini-Episode $$
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, didn't the 10th doctor use up a regeneration to maintain his form? I find it disheartening that TPTB would try to artificially extend the doctor's regenerations, since acceptance of death and dying seem to be a central theme in Doctor Who. Makes the Doctor seem like a hypocrite.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regenerations aside, there seem to be some big plot holes- or at least things that got edited out or something and not explained: like what was up with the ashtma inhaler bit between the girls with the Tom Baker scarf? I expected her to sabotage the human/Zygon negotiations somehow.
I was wondering if that girl was supposed to be the Curator's daughter somehow, thus she has his scarf...maybe she'll become a companion later and this was her intro?

And what of the Doctor's wife? That seems an odd thing to leave hanging as we move forward- was he actually in love with her?

As far as the timeline goes...it really screws up a LOT! (though I'm not the expert you guys are)
The big war where Galifrey is destroyed was now (to the perspective of the current doctor, according to dialogue) 400 years ago?!?!?!?
WTF?!?

We see John Hurt regenerate (presumably) into Eccelson's version, which then becomes Tennant's and then the current guy with no room for all that time to pass...unless we assume that Eccelson had been bitterly tooling around for 400 years between his regeneration and his first episode.
Or there may be hundreds of years between episodes where the Doctor does whatever and his body just does not age like a human's.
And his clothes never need laundering, I suppose.

The two girls with the asthma inhaler thing seems to have had something edited out for time or something...and what exactly was the big treaty between humans and Zygons anyway? Do we ever learn what's up there?

Flaws aside, it was very much fun- and it was great to see John Hurt do his thing- he's an amazing actor and had of late been in some VERY lame roles (like that last Indiana Jones!). He's just great here though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Also, didn't the 10th doctor use up a regeneration to maintain his form? I find it disheartening that TPTB would try to artificially extend the doctor's regenerations, since acceptance of death and dying seem to be a central theme in Doctor Who. Makes the Doctor seem like a hypocrite.

Well, considering that following the rule means that the BBC would have to stop making their really quite lucrative show, I can see why they're going to ignore it. What do you want them to do? Cancel it?

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Regenerations aside, there seem to be some big plot holes- or at least things that got edited out or something and not explained: like what was up with the ashtma inhaler bit between the girls with the Tom Baker scarf? I expected her to sabotage the human/Zygon negotiations somehow.

The impression I got is that they realised who was human and who was Zygon, but decided to keep it quiet for the sake of the negotiations.

quote:
I was wondering if that girl was supposed to be the Curator's daughter somehow, thus she has his scarf...maybe she'll become a companion later and this was her intro?

I'm pretty sure she was just a one off character, and she was wearing a scarf because she was a big Doctor fangirl.

quote:
And what of the Doctor's wife? That seems an odd thing to leave hanging as we move forward- was he actually in love with her?
The Doctor being married to Queen Elizabeth has been a running gag since the Tennant days. I think it's "The Shakespeare Code" where it first appears. Possibly more worrying is that it now makes Smith's Doctor a bigamist. Unless wedding's are automatically annulled at regeneration?

quote:
As far as the timeline goes...it really screws up a LOT! (though I'm not the expert you guys are)
The big war where Galifrey is destroyed was now (to the perspective of the current doctor, according to dialogue) 400 years ago?!?!?!?
WTF?!?

We see John Hurt regenerate (presumably) into Eccelson's version, which then becomes Tennant's and then the current guy with no room for all that time to pass...unless we assume that Eccelson had been bitterly tooling around for 400 years between his regeneration and his first episode.
Or there may be hundreds of years between episodes where the Doctor does whatever and his body just does not age like a human's.
And his clothes never need laundering, I suppose.

This sort of thing happened a lot in the original series, where the Doctor got several hundred years older between regenerations, and we just assume he had several off-screen adventures. The Smith Doctor ages 100 years during the events of "The Impossible Astronaut" if I recall correctly, and seems to have gained another 200 years since then. There's plenty of time for adventures to take place (between the tenth Doctor losing Donna and regenerating, the last season where the Doctor keps dropping the Ponds/Clara off and then picking them up later).

Plus, his age is screwed up anyway, what with him seeming to get younger between McCoy and Eccleston. As he said, he might by lying about his age, he's forgotten.

And I don't see how any of this stops him getting his clothes cleaned.

The two girls with the asthma inhaler thing seems to have had something edited out for time or something...and what exactly was the big treaty between humans and Zygons anyway? Do we ever learn what's up there?

Flaws aside, it was very much fun- and it was great to see John Hurt do his thing- he's an amazing actor and had of late been in some VERY lame roles (like that last Indiana Jones!). He's just great here though. [/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And what of the Doctor's wife?
Thanks a lot, now you made me remember poor Jeanne-Antoinette, waiting in her window for the rest of her life for her Doctor who would never return...

quote:
My dear Doctor: the path has never seemed more slow, and yet I fear I am nearing its end. Reason tells me that you and I are unlikely to meet again, but I think I shall not listen to reason. I have seen the world inside your head and know that all things are possible. Hurry though, my love: my days grow shorter now, and I am so very weak. Godspeed, my lonely angel.Reinette

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps