Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Who is faster?

Author Topic: Who is faster?
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gott into an argument with my friend over who is faster, B5 ships with the jump, Star Wars ships with the hyperdrive, and Star Trek ships with the warp.

Now, I don't know if this was discussed already, or as to whether or not this belongs here, since it involves Star Trek and Star Wars, and they have their own respective forums, but this does contain B5.

My point of view is, Star Wars is faster, because they have covered an entire galaxy, and you need a real fast way of traveling to cover it all.

------------------
"That is the exploration that awaits you: Not mapping the stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possiblities of existence." - Q, All Good Things...

[This message was edited by Jeff Raven on March 25, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. B5 is rather inconsistent about things, unfortunately.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Motormaster: "Megatron's in trouble!"
Dead End: "Who cares?"
Wildrider: "It looks like Starscream's defeated him!"
Dead End: "So?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, you don't accept the hyperspace winds?

Of course, Star Wars never specifically mentions they travel across the galaxy. Darth Vader says something to that effect, but what does he know? It's not like anyone is going to dare to correct him.

"Actually, my lord, their ship is only capable of *choke*"

(And this is all a joke, of course.)

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Han bragged about the Falcon doing 0.5 past light speed. Trek Ships go thousands of times faster than light speed.

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
irrevocably." Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - The Drumhead

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are all equal when using the "Plot Device Drive".

------------------
Dramatis Personae

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He didn't say 0.5 what. And this is the guy who uses "parsecs" as a unit of time. I suspect Solo wasn't interesting in giving real information, since Luke and Kenobi were more or less farmers from a backwards planet in the middle of nowhere.

------------------
Motormaster: "Megatron's in trouble!"
Dead End: "Who cares?"
Wildrider: "It looks like Starscream's defeated him!"
Dead End: "So?"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if they did cover their whole galaxy, who says they don't have an ultra-small, compacto galaxy?

*notices he's now a member!*

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

[This message was edited by Elim Garak on March 26, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's always the "Class .5 hyperdrive" explanation, if you care to use it. I'm rather undecided on the whole matter.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'd have to go with the "Plot Device Drive". With the calculated warp speeds, it would be virtually impossible for the ships to go a very long distance in a short period of time. From the Romulan border to Earth in less than 2 hours? And Star Wars and B5 both have kept the drive systems obscure, so debate on them is made virtually impossible.

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Not at all. There's info on SW drive systems on this page, which everyone should read before entering into any discussion about Star Wars, BTW.

------------------
Vortex: "It just don't pack the punch it used to..."
Swindle: "Yeah, because we're out of energy, dummy."

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucus admitted the parsec was a mistake, but it could be reasoned that the Kessel Run is a clocked race and the M.Falcon traveled the farthest distance.

I too believe that Star Wars is faster. Hell the Old Republic is supposed to be 25 thousands years old. Plenty of time for FTL drives to advance to extremely high velocities in which the galaxy can be transversed in a matter of hours.

------------------
The real problem with the United States of America is that is was founded by Europeans, Asians, and Africans.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Given the way Kenobi looked at him when he said it, I always assumed they had him say "parsec" on purpose, to show that he was BSing the whole thing...

------------------
"I fart in your general direction!"
-John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Perhaps Alec Guiness knew a bit about astronomy.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps