Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Matrix (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Matrix
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not one to rant and rave about movies, but in my humble opinion "The Matrix" is already one of my favorite sci-fi films of all time. Really good plot (aside from one small cheesy element), good acting (Keanu's nothing special, but Fishburn kicks ass), and some of the most believable, realistic, and appropriate special effects I have ever seen. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's perfect, but I came away far more impressed than I thought I would be. No spoilers here, for this is one movie where the trailer's got it right, "You have to see it for yourself." It's better you not know what's going on, believe me. Of course, if anyone want's spoilers, just ask and I'll start a $$$ topic... =)

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you. I expected something good, interesting maybe, but what I got was a movie that I could really enjoy on all kinds of levels. Not just plot (which never took the expected turn) or FX (which were perfectly placed building up to the final sequences) but acting-wise (even Keanu wasn't bad and the rest of them just had a quiet confidence that absorbed the roles), visually (not only do we get lasting sci-fi images like the harvesting fields but also some great camera angles - like the underbelly shot of the helicopter's blades in slow-mo while the shells are falling), and overall envelopment in the movie. I hate to gush about sci-fi movies but this one deserves it. Really a fantastic film, visionary. The most believable future depiction since Gattaca and the most imaginative film since Bladerunner. A must see for sci=fi fans.

------------------
"A screaming comes across the sky..."

IP: Logged
Chimaera
Ex-Member

Hmm... Maybe I will go see this one in the theatre after all, if it's still in theatres after my exams are finished that is I've all but abandoned going to theatres, just not worth the money and the deafening volume most of the time in my opinion. But I must admit Matrix looked quite interesting in the commercials and news stories. Does anyone think this is a "must see" in the theatre, or would it not loose much going down to the small screen (like just about all films IMHO)?

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I thought this was Transformers thread! Dang.

------------------
Wheeelersburg Correctional Facility
Inmate #05301999

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're talking about vision in a science fiction movie, don't leave out Dark City. Or Brazil, for that matter. (Or even The City of Lost Children, though I have yet to see all of it.)

The only Keanu movies I have ever enjoyed were the products of the Bill & Ted saga, which was funnier then it had any right to be. While it pains to me to carry that prejudice into a movie so many are raving about, it still lingers.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I went to see it yesterday, and while it is not as good as say Dark City (or some other Sci Fi movies you could name) it is a fine film. I was happy the Keanu took the simple and laconic approach to his role.

There was a certain depth in this movie that I really enjoyed, regardless of some of the nagging questions I would like to have had answered by the movie. But I won't go into those here because it would spoil much of the experience if you haven't seen it. And the ending was far too stock for me.

But overall, I liked the way that they questioned reality and bring it close to home with the coporate culture in which we live.

------------------
My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are definite similarities between "The Matrix" and "Dark City." I loved both, but personally I'll take "The Matrix" with a slight edge... what can I say, I like a little more action in my movies than "Dark City" provided. Don't get me wrong, there has to be a reasonable plot and so forth behind action for me to truly consider it to be a "good movie" as opposed to an "entertaining movie." I just think that as a whole, final product, "The Matrix" worked a little better for me individually.

jh - That helicopter shot was quite cool, wasn't it? =) The whole movie felt like a comic book, but an intelligent independent comic book rather than a Joel Shumacher superhero title.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw The Matrix tonight. I must say, I was suitably impressed. Though I did keep shouting "I AM...Keanu Reeves!" to myself.

Anyway, comparing The Matrix and Dark City is a bit misleading. Both movies are concerned with the question of "What is real, and what is illusion?" Reminds me of Plato. However, in The Matrix, the real question is an external one. Where am I? Who are my enemies? In Dark City, while those questions exist, the larger issues are internal. Who am I? Am I merely the sum of my experiences? The Matrix didn't really address that issue.

For instance, the Matrix itself was everywhere, and could be anyone. The Strangers, on the other hand, were a very concrete enemy. For my money, the Strangers were more compelling, and creepier. Mr. Sleep, for instance. (The child.)

Both movies were great, though.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

jh
Ex-Member

Ryan - That helicopter shot rocked. Almost as good was the flowing, floor-level shot of Neo's coat as he walked down the hallway. You're right about the comic book element, too. If you're going to attempt something like that this is the way to do it, and not Joel Schumacher's way. (You know, for all its flaws, Spawn did a nice job of transferring the comic to the screen, IMHO.)

Sol - Okay, I must be the only person who didn't like Dark City. Aside from the great visual style and the perfect creep out factor of the Strangers I found the movie just plain awful. I didn't think it adressed any consistent theme or philosophical questions. It didn't follow through on the questions about our experiences, about the nature of reality, about what defines us, about anything. The Matrix definitely gets my vote for being more consistent and more imaginative. And, come on, when was the last time we saw anything like the harvester fields or the endless stands of battery pods and the Neo's awakening from them? Beautifully disturbing.

Chimaera - Definitely see it on the big screen. It wouldn't lose as much going to the small screen as some movies (Fargo, Saving Private Ryan, or Bladerunner and Alien, for instance) because there is a lot of close up action. But there are just enough of those few rare moments that make you just sit in the theater seat and say "oh wow" and you would definitely not get that on TV. So get out and see it if you can or find a friend with a really big tube and get the letterbox DVD when it comes out.
------------------

[This message was edited by jh on April 05, 1999.]

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

Speaking of both Spawn and the Matrix, did anyone else notice that Neo's awakening in his little goo-pod is a lot like what McFarlane shows people doing as soon as they get to Hell?

I also liked the soundtrack of the movie... not so much the hard rock parts (though I did like them) but the orchestral stuff. Reminded me of "Short Ride in a Fast Machine" with the oxymoronic changing trumpet ostenado... especially during the helicopter scene.

There were a grand total of two things I was not satisfied with, both in the last few minutes of the movie ($$$): when Neo destroyed Agent Smith, it just looked a little cheesy as the pieces flew apart. Secondly, did he really have to go flying away at the end?

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

How effective Dark City is depends a lot on the viewer, I suppose. In a movie like that, if one or two elements fail to connect with you, it throws the whole thing off.

I could go on about Dark City, but I guess the point is that we're having pretty good luck with getting one quality science fiction movie per year.

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

jh
Ex-Member

Ryan: You know, I didn't mind either of those things at the end. I guess the guy flying apart didn't strike as too cheasy since they had to do something to show that Neo really did destroy him this time instead of just killing the body he inhabited. I suppose they could have done it better but what the hell...
But I really liked the flying away ending. It suggested that he had mastered the reality of the Matrix. If anything I was more put off by his speech at the end. Of course, like you said, these are very minor things at the end of a terrific movie.

Sol: I dunno, I just felt like it started addressing a lot of cool themes but never followed through on any of them.

------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

It's not so much that the guy was blown apart; I had no problem with that. I just thought that the actual effects of him doing so were not up at the level of the rest of the movie. Even the first FX shot of Trinity doing the time-freeze thing looked cooler to me than a guy blowing apart with lots of glowing green stuff. =)

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

jh
Ex-Member

I can go along with that.

------------------

Overdog8860
Ex-Member

IMHO, BRAZIL is only now coming into its own as a respected sci-fi classic. DARK CITY has now taken its place as the film to be yet discovered by a wider audience, and I feel that its plotline was a lot less 'whimsical' than that of THE MATRIX. One thing's for sure--those F/X will do for genre films from here on in what STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE once achieved, and we don't even recognize it yet. THE PHANTOM MENACE will raise the bar even further, so that even the cheesiest movies, (ANACONDA or DEEP RISING, anyone?) will have to do better in the visuals department.

The entire principle cast earns extra kudos, just for having mastered the ability to perform the majority of their stunts ON-CAMERA, including wire work! Ha! Let's see Brad, Leo or Val do THAT!
As as for Joel Schumacher...well, I won't go there...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps