Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Those evil Xeelee... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Those evil Xeelee...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading the thread and then along came mention of "That remake of the Time Machine" and I thought it was a sarcastic joke!! LOL!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Oh, Baxter. Good God, someone apart from me has brought up a British SF author in this Forum, it's a miracle. . .

I'll also join the club of having read a couple. The Time Machine was decent, Manifold Time was just weird, and there was that Clarke collaboration, The Light of Other Days, which was also decent.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I swear, I read my posts and it's like they're by a different person. . .

We still have the piece of your brain we took out: it's in a jar, if you'd like it back as a momento.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's in the jar next to the pickled egg, but behind the pickled onion.

Xeelee sounds somewhat like "Gigli" [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Xeelee
Member # 1433

- posted      Profile for Xeelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
It's in the jar next to the pickled egg, but behind the pickled onion.

Xeelee sounds somewhat like "Gigli" [Big Grin]

Xeelee > *.aliens

I've read most of his work. I like his style in that everything is pretty hardcoreSF. The only things I dont like are the mammoth stories. Not my style. [Smile]

--------------------
Baryonic Lord

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xeelee:
Xeelee > *.aliens

What?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Xeelee
Member # 1433

- posted      Profile for Xeelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Xeelee:
Xeelee > *.aliens

What?
Means that Xeelee are greater than any and all aliens. [Smile]

--------------------
Baryonic Lord

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do know they aren't real, right?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF??? and here I thought we had first contact....

Damn you Bones....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Manan Shah
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit more information:

Photino Birds: Lifeforms made of dark matter. The matter consists of the 99% of the mass of the universe, so they are too many to count. There is a problem: All the Suns going nova is bad for them (kills them). So they devise a plan to suck the energy out of every Sun, so they can live in peace.

That of course, is bad for us.

20 billion years ago, Xeelee (baryonic life forms who need the suns, like us) were already the dominant species in the universe, first made contact with these photino birds and discovered what they were up to. Realizing what the birds were after, they started a war, THE war actually, in order to fight them.

They probably realized really quickly that they werent going to defeat the birds, so they sent timeships into the past in order to alter their own genetic history to give themselves more time. Even so, the war will be lost. So they begin construcion of 'The Ring', or the Great Attractor about 10 billion years ago, which is like a gateway to other universes, in order to escape.

Five billion years ago, the photino birds found out about the xeelee project, and began attacking it, however, they did not destroy it before it was completed.

ENTER HUMANS: We are idiots (basically), and eventually we become the dominant species in the universe (besides the xeelee, which are immesurably more powerful, as to be incomparable). Everyone else (including humans) basically try to copy their technology and get by.

So, humans get this crazy idea that xeelee are actually killing the universe (we dont know about the birds) instead of fighting to save it from the real threat. So we start attacking the xeelee too. THankfully, we are not really a threat and after a while (when they get tired of us), they destroy our worlds and lock us up in a box so they can focus on the real fight (against the birds).

Anyway, the xeelee sequence basically documents this, up until 4 billion years in the future, when xeelee at the height of their power and in their full baryonic glory finally admit their defeat and leave the universe through the ring. Soon thereafter, the Ring is destroyed, and the universe dies prematurely (killed off by the birds), forever.

Some bands of humans also make it out of the universe and colonize other universes.

In the end, just a couple conciousness's are left in our current universe to ponder the futility of human existance.

Thats it in a nutshell.

The Xeelee sequence is one of the best works of fiction ever written (in my opinion).

Flux, Raft, Ring, Vaccuuum Diagrams (read vacuum first).

Feel free to ask any questions about the Xeelee sequence, I love discussing these books.

IP: Logged
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose four months is better than two years...

Not that Nevod will appreciate it, not having been around since March 2002.

Manan Shah
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, oops! I found the thread through Google search for 'Xeelee'. [Smile]

Didn't realize the date.

IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manan Shah:

Thats it in a nutshell.

Mabye it's just the synopsis that makes it sound like ass.

Dark matter birds?
Pass.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I never bothered reading any of the Xeelee books apart from Raft. And wasn't Timelike Infinity a Xeelee book? Or was that by some other author entirely? And I read his newest-but-one book, Evolution: Destiny's Children Book One in all innocence, and now find from reading the back-cover blurb of Exultant (book two) that it is a Xeelee story. I've been robbed!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that all of Baxter's books fit in the sequence, if only tangentially, except for his sequel to The Time Machine. (Cross thread points!) Or maybe even that does.

I'm pretty sure I've never read one, though.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps