Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Those evil Xeelee... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Those evil Xeelee...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Manan Shah
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please excuse my crappy writing abilities. I definatly dont do it justice. It really is a great work of fiction.

They really aren't 'birds'. The reason they were called 'Photino Birds' by humans was that when Liserl (an AI or sorts) observed them, she couldnt adequetly describe it, and they seemed to 'flock' and move around like birds so she made the closest analogy that she/it could.

IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I believe that all of Baxter's books fit in the sequence, if only tangentially, except for his sequel to The Time Machine. (Cross thread points!) Or maybe even that does.

Ug.
I hate it when a writer decides to write a sequel to a classic.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like that lousy Aeneid.
Manan Shah
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ug.
I hate it when a writer decides to write a sequel to a classic."

I believe Time machine is an alternate what-if, documenting what happens if the machine fell into government hands, and not a sequel.

He even writes like HG Wells, and the novel is relatively highly rated from what I hear (I've never read it).

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely that's just an issue of semantics, re what technically counts as a sequel.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like Time Ships. It got far too long and complicated.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm funny i just bought it.
Xeelee
Member # 1433

- posted      Profile for Xeelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you like it?
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought Time Ships last year on the recommendation of a guy from my university's sci-fi club. Unfortunately I've got about a dozen Star Trek novels in line to be read so I haven't gotten to it yet. It sounds like Baxter injected a lot of quantum mechanics stuff into the story, which is partially what attracted me to it in the first place.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sad, but when I want an "easy read" I turn to Trek.
When I want something worth thinking about I go for hard sci-fi (Simmons, Bear, etc.).

I'm going to start Dan Simmons' Illium next week....anyone read that yet?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

OK, so I read Exultant that gave a lot of the info about the Xeelee vs. Photino Bird conflict. At the end the Xeelee effectively stop building their escape route and all-out XvPB war seems to be brewing. With humans caught in the middle. If I have this right, at some point during the war that follows humanity get trapped in a box or something (has that been coevered in one of the previous books?) and eventually the Xeelee do a runner to another universe, and some humans use the same method to go to other universes as well, and it's those groups whose fates and descendants are covered in the first books - Raft, Flux, Ring was it?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So...pretty confusing, eh?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Just a bit.

--------------------

Soliton
Member # 2164

- posted      Profile for Soliton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All highly improbable and poorly written, at that.

--------------------
Indeed.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps