Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dark Angel, or, Newsflash: Behr and Echevarria are mortals

Author Topic: Dark Angel, or, Newsflash: Behr and Echevarria are mortals
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just caught the uber-hyped 90 minute Dark Angel season finale, directed by James Cameron allegedly on a $7mil budget.

And it was, well, OK. I've been an on-again, off-again Dark Angel watcher; I missed most of this season and with the exception of the last third (which had some very cool parts), all of last season. I don't think many would claim it's by any means a flawless show, but then again I'd even watch Andromeda occasionally if Jessica Alba was in it.

Anyway, while the action scenes certainly showed Cameron's polish, the same cannot be said of the script. Which isn't really unusual for Dark Angel, I mean, there are lots of pretty stupid one-liners in the show and the overall tone has never struck me as particularly high-brow. But this episode was especially average Dark Angel both in the creativity department (a pretty by-the-numbers hostage drama) and in the dialogue (which veered into JMSish cookie-cutter statements about freedom here and there and had more than its fair share of fairly groanable one-liners but was otherwise totally forgettable). And this episode was written by Ira Stephen Behr and Rene Echevarria.

Now, these are two guys whose work I've generally been quite fond of. I don't have idols of them on my mantelpiece or anything, but if I had a penny for every time I hear of Behr referred to as "the finest SF TV-writer since Roddenberry" or as someone who should come back and "fix" Enterprise, I'd be a very rich man. And if this proved anything, its that nobody's perfect, and that when given the opportunity to write a balls-to-the-wall megabudget action episode these guys could be said to have choked. *shrug*

Any thoughts from anyone else on the ep?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Jessica Alba too.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She probably doesn't reciprocate, though.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever satisfies her. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps