Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dr. Who returns! ($$$"The Curse Of The Fatal Death$$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dr. Who returns! ($$$"The Curse Of The Fatal Death$$$)
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, sorta. This was a one-off done for Comic Relief here in the UK, something that's bound to get the Whovians enraged since the BBC has ignored their pleas for a return for so long.

Anyway, this featured Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor, Jonathan Pryce as The Master, and Julia Sawalha as the Doctor's Companion, heh heh. . .

It's been rumoured that Atkinson would like to play the role again, presumably to go the Robin Williams serious acting path. . .

Am I the only one who saw it here?

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, would like to see a "Black Adder in Space" series. Even a few episodes would be quite satisfying.

"I have a cunning plan that cannot fail!"

------------------
The hyperhamster is alive and well.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so this was a serious episode?/movie?

I liked the eighth?? doctor, the doctor from the movie, i REALLY want to see a series with him. his clothes were COOL! and so were the sets.

Andrew

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
irrevocably." Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - The Drumhead

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was played for laughs, mainly, but Atkinson was largely deadpan throughout. At one point, the Master introduces his new allies - the Daleks!

The Doctor's response: "And how have you all been?"

Then they decided to kill him off, whereupon you saw several regenerations in quick succession, all well-known Brit actors who've been suggested as good Doctors at one time or another:

Richard E Grant (wildly narcissistic)
Jim Broadbent (shy, easily flustered, terrified of girls)
Hugh Grant (acting like, well, Hugh Grant)

And then there was the last incarnation - yes, I know, we've seen 4 Doctors and there were 8 previous, and there can be only twelve in all, but that's part of the joke! I could tell you who it was, but that would be TOO much of a spoiler. . . so I won't!

(but it's an injoke. Julia Sawalha was in another well-known TV show, and there was one person her character really hated in it. Yes, THAT actor)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK being silly mode!?!

what Spike from Press Gang is a Time Lord!?! heh heh

Silly mode off!

Andrew

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all

The First One
Member # 35

No, worse than that. This was a show more well known than "Press Gang" that everyone in the world likes, except me.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

hey I like that show, that everyone likes, Did that US version ever eventuate - you know the one Rosanne wanted to do?

Andrew

------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First One: you're wrong when you say that there can only be twelve Doctors in total. A Timelord can regenerate 12 times which makes for a total of 13 incarnations.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

The First One
Member # 35

Whatever. Either way, the Doctor's stuck as you-know-who. . . 8)
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That well-known Brit show that Roseanne wanted to do never materialized here, but industry rumors included names like Carrie Fisher and Barbara Carrerra.

Unofficially, Cybil Sheppard ripped-off the idea for her last series.

The First One
Member # 35

Xentrick has it. Is there no end to the man's talents? Can you pat the top of your head and rub your tummy at the same time? Can you tell us how to play the flute, construct box-girder bridges, and rid the world of all known diseases? Do you, in effect, like Green Eggs and Ham?
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too witnessed this event.

Whilst it was irritating to realise that the Beeb is only prepared to rubbish the show now, rather than let it rest in peace in its grave, there were a few interesting observations.

Some of the jokes were actually quite funny.

Was that a CGI background I saw before me?

Julia Sawalha has bloated hideously like a puffer fish - and was screaming to get exterminated. Please, never again.

Richard E Grant showed potential, even in a role of a few seconds...and Jim Broadbent's version was also refreshing. Hugh Grant was a bit out of place I think, and sadly Rowan Atkinson's interpretation didn't strike me as one that'd translate to a "serious" version. The final incarnation did poke fun at all the speculation in the press, and made me laugh.

Overall, although there were things I didn't like, it was infinitely better than that "Dimensions in Time" crap they did as a crossover with EastEnders! *shudders*

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, thanks muchly, First One!

1) No, I can't pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time. [my tummy requires both hands]

2) Tell you how to play the flute, construct box-girder bridges, and rid the world of all known diseases. You want them in that order?

3) Green Eggs and Ham. Yes, but only on Saint Patrick's Day {huge holiday here in the U.S. of A., when nearly any foodstuff can be obtained in green, naturally or otherwise.}

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, indeed, Xentrick, and packed with flavor! Not always the flavor you expected, but packed, nevertheless!

------------------
Yo quiero Startrek!

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

I resemble that remark.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps