Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » A Cross-Series Comparison Chart (Page 1)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A Cross-Series Comparison Chart
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This project started out from a fairly simple question -- I was curious about how some of the Federation starships compared against the bulk of Babylon 5. I had the basic "five miles long" figure, but that was a little vague, and so I found a decent side-view image of the station, and sized ships like the Enterprise-D to the same scale.

But being a fairly well-trained Treknologist, I wasn't able to stop there. I ended up compiling a decent collection of Star Trek, B5, and Star Wars ships.

That was about two years ago. Now, I'm trying to update the collection with some of the other sci-fi shows, and with updated (and better-quality) images.

I've got some of the most common and well-known shows, but I'd like some suggestions for researching other series and movies. So far I've got:
  • Star Trek
  • Star Wars
  • Babylon 5
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
I've also thought of a couple of other series, but I'm either totally unfamiliar with the series and don't know what/where to look, or else haven't been able to find it.
Top on my list is some kind of decent image of Farscape's Leviathan and Peacekeeper Command Carrier. I've also seen some shots of Space: Above and Beyond that suggested some impressive effects.
It's dawning on me that Trek sites have some of the most detailed technology-oriented material on the web. Any drooling fanboy can grab side views of the Enterprise-D or even obscure ships like the Norway from somewhere, but I had to look for an entire hour before I found a decent side view of the Rebel Medical Frigate. And I still haven't found anything close to a straight-side view of Moya. (Yes, I've tried the Google image search.)

And so I'm looking for help from the best group of sci-fi enthusiasts with a penchant for things technological and pertaining to starships that I know. [Smile] Credit will be given on the page that links to the image once it goes online.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other big ships you could look for/use:

"V" city-ships
"Independence Day" City ships and Mothership
"Close Encounters" mothership

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Dwarf.
IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the Sulaco from "Aliens" & the Valley Forge from "Silent Running." Also, for the Rebel medical frigate, try searching using the term "Nebulon B."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clear and Present Dorkiness

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew that the SeaQuest looked like a chicken being propelled through the air at Mach 2.

As far as other science-fiction goes, how about the Jupiter spacecrafts from the Lost in Space series and movie? As I recall, the Jupiter I and II from the movie looked pretty interesting, although on the small side of things.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andromeda... versus the NX-01. Oh wait, this is a comparison and not a deathmatch.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for fun, you could also throw in some capital ships from the Wing Commander and/or Freespace computer games.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Macross-1.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blake 7's Liberator [Smile]

Ships from the Homeworld game, perhaps?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rubs hands together*

STARGATE-SG1

Goa'uld: mother ships (generic)
Goa'uld: cargo ship
Goa'uld: Death glider
Goa'uld: Apophis' huge mother ship
Goa'uld: "Threading the Needle" death glider
Goa'uld: Space Station

Tau'ri/Goa'uld Jet/Death Glider combo X-301

Nox city ship

Asgaard: Thor's ship, the Belisknar SP?
Asgaard: The O'Neil

The Ashen: Harvester

The Gadmeer Terraforming ship from "Scorched Earth"

Martin's ship from "Point of No Return"
Martin's people's ship from "Wormhole X-Treme"

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all these suggestions so far...

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/comparison-preliminary.gif

This is a preliminary GIF of my collection so far... all of the ships are properly sized, but they're TOTALLY disorganized. I'm working in Fireworks, and so it's simple to move each ship image and label individually, so I just have to move them around a bit. It's looking like I'll have to expand the size of the canvas, though...

One thing, though -- would it be possible to give some links (if you have them handy) along with some of these suggestions? I'm not asking anyone to do all the research, but a little pointer as to where I can start looking would be helpful. (Google and Sherlock aren't bad, but they're general, and it's hard to narrow things down too much.)

Thanks! [Smile]

(Oh, and Michael: Both the Andromeda and the NX-01 are on there. The NX-01 is just a speck on the page, though...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have put in the "Interstellar Alliance Victory class" twice.
The Borg cube info text is also put in twice.
Where the hell did you get a picture of the Clone Wars Pre-Star-Destroyer? I wanna know, not even the official site has them...

High points from me for remembering S:AaB-ships. [Smile]

The "Earth Alliance Explorer Class" looks like a Bab-5 ship, but what is it?

The "Third Space Aliens Heavy Cruiser", what series does it come from, and what does the rest of it look like? :-)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, but, c'mon, put on Red Dwarf! It'll be one of the biggest ships on there.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thirdspace aliens were from the B5 TV movie "Thirdspace".

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps