Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Children Of Dune (Possible Spoilers)

Author Topic: Children Of Dune (Possible Spoilers)
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am writing a story for the office news paper. I'd like to hear what you all thought of the mini series.

I have read only Dune, so I didn't know what to expect from this one. I was looking forward to Saradon and Kreig getting a lot of screen time together, but that didn't really pan out. I'd be surprised to learn that they had more then 15 minutes apiece. Sci-Fi's add campaign made it seem like they were stars of the thing. Oh well.

My opinion? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

It may get me to read the two books though.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen the miniseries yet, but I read the two books a few weeks ago. Lady Jessica (Alice Krige) and the Princess Whats-her-name (Sarandon) were never major characters in the latter books. I was surprised how much they were touting those actresses because of that.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for my friend to get back from vacation with the taped episodes, I'll get back to you.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$$$
Just saw the new trailer on apple.com, though.
It seems the small children Leto and Ghanima (10? 12 years old?) will be played by 25-year olds, too bad. Although understandable.

I also had envisioned the sand trouts (that Leto covered his entire body with) to make him look kind of like in the Spawn-suit, a leathery-gelatinous black-green, checkered organic suit.
In the trailer, he just looks naked as usual, but with some black thing on his upper arm and something on his hip.
This doesn't look promising at all.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've seen the whole thing, and I thought it was just beautifully done! Not that my opinion matters for much, but hey. [Smile]

--------------------
'Your spirit will always be the light that guides me... that guides me forever...' - Whispers

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed it much more than the previous movie. Some of the effects were cheesy, but most were really groovy. The acting was well done and the scenery was pleasing. I'm glad they got rid of the painted background scenery that they used in the other movie.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jubilee:
Well I've seen the whole thing, and I thought it was just beautifully done! Not that my opinion matters for much, but hey. [Smile]

Yours counts as much as any, as far as I'm concerened. I haven't seen you post in ages. I deleted my link to this place, so I came in through the front page for Solareclipse. Went and looked at your page yesterday. I was wondering if you were still around.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
I enjoyed it much more than the previous movie. Some of the effects were cheesy, but most were really groovy. The acting was well done and the scenery was pleasing. I'm glad they got rid of the painted background scenery that they used in the other movie.

I agree, it looked far better then Dune, and the costumes were a big improvment. The hats alone looked so much better that it would help the film.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather enjoyed the condensing of "Dune Messiah" as part one of "Children of Dune." While I enjoyed the last "Dune" mini, I'm glad that TPTB allowed another director to take over from Harrison. I preferred the style in which "Children" was filmed over Harrison's style in the last mini.

I didn't like some of the visual choices Harrison made, in terms of camera angles and such in the first film; although he did do an admirable job at writing it, both this current series and the first one (even tho' there was some corny Harkonnan dialogue). Harrison stayed more true to the books than the Lynch disaster.

The best part about this mini was the music, especially at the climax of part one. It went well with the montage.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps