Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Wing Commander... ($$$ -- ?)

Author Topic: Wing Commander... ($$$ -- ?)
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been released. I want to be spoiled enough to decide whether it's worth the price of admission.

I played WC-III well enough that I didn't look up how to cheat until I had already defeated the Kilrathi and wanted to see how else the game could go.

Makint the ship invincible was fun. I'd save my weaponry and just ram the fighters.

So... What's the movie about? Do we get to see Kilrathi? Is it worth 5 bucks to get in? (Movies are pretty cheap out here!)

--Baloo

------------------
The hyperhamster is alive and well.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. The actor they've chosen for the lead really annoys me. But I like who they've gotten to play Maniac.

And it does have that trailer attached...you know...the one that takes place long, long ago?

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read some reviews earlier today. I think I'll wait until it comes out on tape.

I also (finally) watched the rest of "The Lost World". Cool!

Dinosaurs in San Diego! What a traffic hazard!

--Baloo

------------------
The hyperhamster is alive and well.

Katana
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Disengage lurking field*

Saw Wing Commander yesterday only have one thing to say about it ... The Star Wars Trailer was really great!

This movie was a big disappointment, the story was probably worse than the ones from the game, The special effects were, quality wise, good, but most of the ships were ugly (not in a good way) and the Confed Rapier was by far the worst space fighter design I have ever seen. Add to that the fact that the flight dynamics in the film are completly atmospheric ... to the point that the fighters drop off the deck until they get enough "lift" to fly.

SPOILER SPACE
The plot involves the Kilrathi gaining a confed jump computer, and with this device they can plot a course directly into the heart of Sol system. Thier fleet is 20 hours from Sol, and the Confed fleet is 22 hours from Sol ... the only ship in the area is the Tiger's Claw and they must delay the Kilrathi until the confed fleet in in position to intercept.

There is a subplot of racism against Blair because of his "pilgram" heratage ... which gives him a natural tallent to plot jumps thru hyperspace, but serves to allienate him from the crew because of a war that the Humans fought with the pilgrams.

You never really get to care about the characters, it's too bad ... this could have made a great series of movies ... the producers should have watched some episodes of S:AAB, that show captured the Wing Commander feel much better than this movie.

If you don't want to see the new SW Trailer on the big screen, this is a wait for video movie.

------------------
Engage lurking field.

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resurrection an old, old thread... I just saw this movie on video about a week ago...

It wasn't a *BAD* movie... The effects were VERY nice... and I really like the start of the movie - with them summing up about 500 years of history during the opening credits.

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I saw it too, about two months ago. It seems Australia and Sweden are on opposite sides of Amerigo.
The ending was terrible, but I like that french guy from "Nikita", and when you saw the cockpit-views of the battle, with the weapons blasting, it was like being in the game!!! And the female-lead, whoa! I haven't seen her since "Deep Blue Sea".
Although it was a little corny to hint on the "Force" when the guy "felt" his way through that black hole, or whatever it was.
All-in-all, a pretty good Sci-Fi flick, although it might've gone to better use in a S:AaB-movie.

------------------
Somehow we're going somewhere.

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't bad. It had a really feel to what the capital ships would be like, close quarters with short ceilings. The fighters though were not that good.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It made me want to put a screwdriver through the VCR.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah... the good old Wing Commander games... I must have played them more then any other game right from the moment the first one came out... it's a shame they spoiled the entire concept with that pathetic movie though... (and the WEIRD Kilrathi)... if you consider the brilliant acting and SE in the last three of the series (ok, so maybe Casey & gang could act a little better but Maniac was good as ever in Prophecy). The finale in WC4 was the best I've EVER seen, at last Blair vs. Tolwyn... but I'm digressing. What I meant to ask was, is/are there going to be more WCs? After all Roberts did intend Prophecy to be the first part of a new trilogy, but I can't find anything on a possible WC6 anywhere on the Net. Tell me what you know, so we can continue the fight against the Nephilim ("That's how it's done pleebes!" - Maniac)

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps