Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Damnation. . .

Author Topic: Damnation. . .
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just saw the nominations for the Hugo award for Best dramatc Presentation. There are five of them, but really it only comes down to two:

Babylon 5's Sleeping In Light versus Dark City.

Now, B5 has done well in the past - two years running, they won with The Coming Of Shadows and Severed Dreams. The main reason they didn't even get nominated last year was that the fanbase that decided nominations didn't get their act together in time, leaving the votes spread between such episodes as Into The Fire, Intersections In Real Time and Deconstruction Of Falling Stars (muchb as the vote for season three was nearly split between the winner, Z'Ha'Dum and War Without End before JMS withdrew them from consideration to give Severed Dreams a chance).

I'll admit it - I want B5 to win, regardless of how good Dark City was. But it doen't look hopeful. . .

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be quite honest, there is no way in hell Sleeping in Light is a better example of science fiction than Dark City, as much as I might like B5. The problem is that this award is supposed to be solely for what is nominated. While B5 as a whole surely deserves one, its finale, in and of itself, does not.

Of course, looking through past votes, it appears The Coming Of Shadows beat The City of Lost Children, among others. That pretty much puts a nail in Dark City's coffin right there.

------------------
"Don't call me at work again. Oh no, the boss still hates me. I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore, and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go...I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare."
--
They Might Be Giants

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell did I miss in Dark City!?? It did NOTHING for me. It didn't even raise interesting questions. I just don't get it.

------------------
"A screaming comes across the sky..."

IP: Logged
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know nothing of "Dark City", but Sleeping in Light is a poor example of TV sci-fi IMHO.
They should give it to a Star Trek!

------------------
"It seems strange that I, Kudos, a doubter, should be given this luxurious window seat whilst you....
AGEING with age, rot away in that disgrace of an aisle seat. Ha, Hah!
Where is your God now old woman?!"
"Jesus, I'm sorry I asked...!"
- THE BIG BUS

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid I'm with Monty on this one. SitL was not my fav B-5 episode. I kept thinking John would board the station, and go something like Kosh did, taking the station with him.

------------------
WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps