Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Terminator 3 *NO $$$* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Terminator 3 *NO $$$*
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing that bothered me is if TX is truly a superior Terminator model, how did she lose to the Terminator? She has the same programming as he does, and is a terminator-terminator. She should know how to deal with the Terminator even with the prgramming to protect.

All she has shown is have poly-alloy skin, built in weapons and superior damage control. It took Terminator far longer to get up after being knocked down. He even regained control after shutting himself down.

To me she doesn't seem that impressive.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she blew him into oblivion, then there wouldn't be much of a movie now would there...

So they made the TX a hot blonde model babe that has inflatable boobs, a skin tight outfit, and enough power to go head to head with Arnold and the rest of the humans she encountered. But Arnold still has to win or some studio exec will be eating at a homeless shelter. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't even seen it but I am still anticipating a spectacular Deus Ex Machina to get Arnold off the hook.
"Vell, fr�uelin, you forgot you ahr standing on a MEAT-GRINDAH! *click-vrrrr*"

Like in X-Men 2. The Comic Logan has been kicking Deathstrike's ass in practically every encounter for the last 15 years,
any day of the week and twice on fundays.
For him to be resorting to hairgel squirt-guns to win...pleh. It's insulting to a mature audience.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Another thing that bothered me is if TX is truly a superior Terminator model, how did she lose to the Terminator? She has the same programming as he does, and is a terminator-terminator. She should know how to deal with the Terminator even with the prgramming to protect.

All she has shown is have poly-alloy skin, built in weapons and superior damage control. It took Terminator far longer to get up after being knocked down. He even regained control after shutting himself down.

To me she doesn't seem that impressive.

But she had probably previously killed 6,337 of Arnie's model.. with the exception of this one multimillion summer blockbuster fluke where she loses, she's probably iced more old model terminators than Connor did back in '09
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Vell, fr�uelin, you forgot you ahr standing on a MEAT-GRINDAH! *click-vrrrr*"

"Vrrrr"? Is that the meat grinder whirring w/ an Austrian accent?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too lazy to spell "with"?

So, if "vrrr" is an Australian accent, is "whirr" an American accent, then?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F-Why-I, *vrrr* is the sound the grinder would make.
"Whirr" is the verb itself, I didn't feel it was appropriate, see.
Like if I had described the sound of me closing a booze cabinet door, I would write *click!*, not *close!*.

I would also help myself to an Elmer Fudpucker.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've only just noticed that I almost always abbreviate "with"?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, why is that? Is it one of the words the Knights of Nix cannot hear?

Given it's supposed to be one of the summer's big SF films, it's surprising how little mention there has been of T3 round here. I suspect it's partly a generational thing - many of you hadn't even been born when T1 came out, and probably weren't even old enough to go see T2 in the cinema. Of course, by that logic TPM and AotC were both flops as well.

For what's supposed to be a spoiler-free thread there were quite a few little giveaways, so I guess I'll just chuck in a few. . .

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

. . . before I go any further.

When I was watching T3, I kept thinking how much better it might have been if Cameron'd been doing it. But then I asked myself, how? How much better a film could he have made from this script? He might have preferred to use a better, different script, but then he might not: after all, he's no judge of script quality if Titanic is anything to go by.

The big problem was always going to be, the T2 Arnie couldn't come back. So you have in effect a new character. Really, they didn't need Arnie to do this film - he seemed more like a guest actor in it a lot of the time. He was different, but you can chalk that up to him being programmed not by John but his wife.

The TX. . . pleh. Interesting idea, robotic endoskeleton with handy plasma weapons, flamethrowers, etc. - the Skynet Army Knife, with gadget to remove stones from horses' hooves, from the neck down! - with a mimetic pollyalloy covering, plus some nanotech nonsense I didn't quite follow chucked in. James Cameron would have done more with it than they did, though. . . gotta stop thinking that!

Kristanna Loken, yum. Sort of. I expected someone better known to play a female Terminator, but then Schwarzenegger and Robert Patrick were near-unknowns when they played the first two.

Boy, General Brewster's top-secret computer research facility sure is easy to get in to. Was Skynet the AI also the source of the virus? Is Skynet, being software, in effect now a worldwide virus? You'd think worldwide EMP from the blasts would mess that up a bit.

I'm guessing that the future is now rather different from how it's been shown in the past two films.

Lastly, I loved that late-60's decor in the bomb shelter!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$

$

$

$

$

$

$

quote:
Boy, General Brewster's top-secret computer research facility sure is easy to get in to. Was Skynet the AI also the source of the virus? Is Skynet, being software, in effect now a worldwide virus? You'd think worldwide EMP from the blasts would mess that up a bit.

Yeah; I got the impression that Skynet was the virus (mainly because John Conner effectively says so to Gen Brewster...); I think it was supposed to be downloading itself into the world's computers in order to get maximum processing power. Sort of like SETI@home with attitude. Although bearing in mind most computers are probably located in or near cities it must have taken a hell of a knock to it's processing power on Judgement Day. Still, I suppose some military and commercial supercomputers are probably well protected in out of the way areas.

quote:
I'm guessing that the future is now rather different from how it's been shown in the past two films
I'm guessing not too different; maybe a little later in time (both Judgement day and the defeat of the machines). The main differences would be that some of Conner's Leiutenants were killed which I guess would change things somewhat. I think it would be interesting if they did do a T4 about the war; i'd quite like to see the scene they intended to shoot for the future war sequence in T2 with the defeat of Skynet and the humans discovering the time displacement stuff and sending Reese back. And seeing the rows of inactive Terminators.

I quite liked T3 overall; perhaps not as good as the others but still pretty good.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Top secret" pleh... I have top secret clearance which is kind of cool actually.

I haven't seen this movie yet, I really want to. It premiered in Dubai, UAE the day I had duty so I couldn't leave the ship and the next day we left. Currently I'm in Bahrain, but I didn't see a poster for it so I doubt they have it. Unforunately I still have 2.5 months left in the gulf until the Enterprise Strike Group relieves the Nimitz Strike Group.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$ no doubt...

I thought the humor was pretty bad. The scene where he takes the sunglasses out and then realizes they're fruity and throws them away? Not good.

Also, they point out that Arnie was a different unit than the one from T2, then they go out of their way to show us he knows things that the 101 from T2 learned.

What I don't understand is this (and this will cause headaches):

In the future of T1, the resistance has won and Skynet's *last ditch effort* is to send a Terminator back in time to try and assassinate Sarah. After they do that, the resistance sends Reese back and destroys the time equipment.

In T2, we learn that in the revised timeline, the one in which Sarah knows of Judgement Day and tells her son about Reese, Skynet was also able to send an advanced prototype, the T-1000, back before the resistance *destoyed the time equipment*.

So... in all the various timelines, the resistance still wins and crushes Skynet. My question is, how can Skynet keep sending more advanced Terminators back in time?

The only thing I can come up with is, the changes to the time line in T2 significantly messed with the timeline. It pushed back Judgement Day and probably even changed the way that Skynet came into being. So, it's possible that the final battle between Skynet and the resistance happened differently. But not so differently that the events of the first two movies didn't happen.

My head hurts again.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each trip to the past creates a new timeline with a new Judgement Day, a new Skynet, and a new incident with the time portal. Timeline a was the original, which we never saw. Skynet-a was defeated, sent a t-800 back in time, creating timeline b. Skynet-b was defeated, sent a t-1000 back in time, creating timeline c. Skynet-c was defeated, sending a T-X back in time and creating timeline d. It wasn't the same Skynet sending the terminators each time.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole overriding Terminator storyline was as planned as a head cheerleader's baby after a night of elbowy, pale necking on Makeout Mountain in High School All-American Quarterbackstar Chad Kurk's 1969 Pontiac GTO GO GO Flamerbirdersupercar.

It's like taking a piece of lego, a tinkertot wheel and a linking log and trying to make a castle fort.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, wouldn't that mean that John would likely be a completely different person in the original timeline, since Reese wouldn't have been his father?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps