Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » So...Matrix: Revolutions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: So...Matrix: Revolutions
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because if Zi'on was destroyed 6 other times... there wouldn't be any humans left alive!

What?

This would explain his sight after being blinded.

Actually, I'd rather chalk that up to a rip-off of "Dune Messiah..."

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In several spots along the way - either by "Merv" or the Architect - both of them had said, that they had faced The One -sorry- 5 other times and survived him.

Merv: "I have survived your other predesessors - I will survive you as well!" (or something like that)

The architect makes note that this was -- sorry --- the sixth time he has faced the one - and each time he has his choice was to save Zi'on - well if this is the sixth time he's faced Neo - then Neo must have failed ... cuz had he succeeded - there would be no need to repeat the excersise...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, if we take the Architect's rants at face value, then success of The One would be *defined* as the destruction of Zion yet the survival of the Matrix, from which 23 new people would be plucked to found a new Zion.

Losing the few thousands of people in Zion during each reset would be no great loss for a multi-billion humankind, and would in no way endanger its survival. If The One failed to destroy Zion and reset the Matrix, though, then the people in the Matrix would apparently die, and THAT would mean end of mankind.

Now, we don't have to believe the Architect. Even Neo is dubious about the concept that the Machines would build the Matrix so that all humans might die, since that would harm the Machines, too.

We can also choose to disbelieve Morpheus who says the Machines depend on humans, though. The story about humans being necessary as sources of energy is rather hokey - couldn't the Machines just build a really tall tower that goes through the clouds, and tap into solar energy? They could also use radioactives, which won't run out any time soon if the total power consumption is as low as the total electric output of human bodies.

If Morpheus is wrong (he was in about every other respect!), then Neo's antics when meeting the Architect might not be crucial to mankind's survival at all. The Architect could just be playing silly games.

Timo Saloniemi

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

With regards to Bond's point about rogue programs being the only ones with "supernatural powers"....that's really doesnt fit.
Anyone with enough underdatnding of the matrix and the fallacy of it's existance can have powers.
Or did you think didging bullets and running up walls was natural?

In a real way, Neo IS one of those "rogue programs" you're talking about....he just has a human shell.
If he was grown in a pod, it's possible his program ws downloaded into the physical human body just as Smith did to Bane.

I never said only rogue programs had supernatural powers, I said the supernatural powers were the result of programming. Neo, Trinity, Morpheus, Niobe, etc. are all just avatars in the Matrix, they're all just programs controlled by their own minds. They can take advantage of this and bend the rules of gravity, but that is simply a result of being able to alter their programmed parameters, nothing more.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Timo:

[QB] Regarding the supernatural, Neo didn't exactly have the power to turn water to root beer or make the dead dance. He didn't even have the super-karateka skills in the real world. He only displayed one type of "supernatural" power, that over the Machines' minions. Which isn't all that supernatural in the end.

Which is another point. Even though he doesn't have the same muscular strength outside the Matrix, why did he seem to forget his karate skills like Daniel Son in the Karate Kid did between each movie? He still has the memories of how to do Kung Fu so what's the problem?

All it really tells us is that a man/machine connection can exist even when there isn't a big cable shoved into the man's midbrain. Neo is still stocked with more plumbing and wiring than your average Borg - his "miracle" is just the fact that he can go wireless, presumably thanks to the built-in hardware and some Neo-specific software. And that across that wireless connection, he can send the Machine minions the polite request to "drop dead" or "blow up in a fireball".

I considered this as well but that would have to mean that the Machines gave him the ability to destroy them which makes no sense. And it should also mean that anyone could potentially do this, they all have the same plugs. If that was what it was it would have been nice to at least get some explanation from that damn enigmatic Oracle beyond "The powers of the One extend into the real world". Well, thanks a pantload Chet for more vague revelations.

All in all, not much of a movie. Could have worked better if they'd left out the plot and the characters. What I found amusing was the lack of product placement. What happened? We didn't even get mobile phones.

The nipple rings and S&M costumes were brought to you by "Azrael's House of Gothika". [Wink]

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Neo's lack of kung fu mojo in the real world, he knows how to kick butt in the world of the matrix, where he can bend the rules of gravity and physics. His real body has never been trained for that kind of activity. He's never actually done a spin kick and in the real world, he can't defy gravity. It might have been cool to see him try to use martial arts and then hurt himself in the process... but there's no way he could actually pull it off.

Also, as far as his connection to the Source in the real world goes... remember, no other One has ever returned to the Matrix or the real world after speaking with the Architecht. They may not have known that he would get juiced. The Oracle seemed to understand it... but she seems to know more than most of the programs.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as Neo's real-world powers go, it's possible that he was MADE to be the One. The machines chose him, and he has some specific implant to facilitate that. As far as Neo doing his Kung Fu in reality, his brain should still have the knowledge necessary, whether his physical body had done it or not. His mind can't tell the difference. He could also fight in the sparring program before he knew he could bend the rules. His muscles might not be well-trained, but he should still have SOME skill. Maybe it just didn't occur to him?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" His muscles might not be well-trained, but he should still have SOME skill. Maybe it just didn't occur to him?"

Not directed directly at you Omega - but GEEZE!! The amount of plot holes that people are willing to let slide in the 2nd and 3rd matrix movies is astounding... these sort of things would have been ripped to shreads if it was a Trek movie.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cypher was going to be put back in as someone else
As Ronald Reagan, in fact. (Or such is the implication.)
Omega
Member # 91

Well, either that or his name was Reagan already...

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From memory: "I want to be somebody important. Like a politician, or an actor."
Omega
Member # 91

And remember nothing, yes. But since Smith only called him Mr. Reagan once, with no particular emphasis on it, it could have been a joke on Smith's part, or it could have been Cypher's real name, making it a joke on the Wachowski's part. Can't tell from information given.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smith: whatta joker that guy is!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember him making reference to wanting to be a politician. He just said he didn't want to remember "nothing.... And I want to be someone important... like an actor."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poot. Looks like his name is just Mr. Reagan, as in Neo is Mr. Anderson, just a coincidence.

quote:

The restaurant is located on the top floor of a Chicago skyscraper where the view is breathtaking and the menu has no prices.
Sitting across from Cypher is Agent Smith.
AGENT SMITH Do we have a deal, Mr. Reagan?
Cypher chews the steak loudly, smacking it between his teeth.
CYPHER Mmm, so, so fucking good.
Smith watches him shovel another hunk of meat into his mouth.
CYPHER You know, I know that this steak doesn't exist. I know when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, do you know what I've realized?
Pausing, he examines the meat skewered on his fork. He pops it in, eyes rolling up, savoring the tender beef melting in his mouth.
CYPHER Ignorance is bliss.
AGENT SMITH Then we have a deal?
CYPHER I don't want to remember nothing. Nothing! You understand? And I want to be rich. Someone important. Like an actor. You can do that, right?
AGENT SMITH Whatever you want, Mr. Reagan.
Cypher takes a deep drink of wine.
CYPHER All right. You get my body back in a power plant, reinsert me into the Matrix and I'll get you what you want.
AGENT SMITH Access codes to Zion.
CYPHER I told you, I don't know them. But I can give you the man who does.

web page
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps