Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Alien Trilogy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Alien Trilogy
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have recently bought the Alien Trilogy. I like the series very much. Do others have opinions on this series?
IP: Logged
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first two movies are the best. The other two are basically the same as these.

------------------
"Minsk."

Cmdr Worf

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I don't know. Resurrection didn't break any new ground, but Alien 3 was rather different from Alien. Or at least, that's what I thought. I've only seen the third one once. My friend recently bought the same collection Trinculo speaks of, so I'll have to borrow it sometime. Got to love the director's cut of Aliens, though.

------------------
"Near the door! They leave reality inside!"

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now that its four movies(with a possible fifth on the way) its not really a trilogy anymore now is it.
On the other hand, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy is six(or is it five?) books, so who am I to say anything.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen Alien all the way through, but it was really groundbreaking. Number 2 was probably the best; they should have just made the director's cut the real movie. Number 3 I thought was a very boring film. Too much time is spent on finding if it's even there, which isn't really exciting or horror-inducing. Sadly, it had the most potential, but fell flat on its face at the startline. Haven't seen number 4.

A fifth one? Are they still going to try to do Aliens vs. Predator? Please tell.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's five.
Hitchiker's... (very good)
The Restaurant at the end of the universe... (good)
Life, the universe and everything (excellent)
So long, and thanks for all the fish (not bad)
Mostly Harmless (good novel, but not really funny. Too serious)

And that's sort of the joke. The world's most inaptly named trilogy.

On the topic of Alien 3, you have to admire them. I twould have been so easy to repeat Aliends, but they went in a completly different direction.

And Ripley killing herself at the end was amasing too.

------------------
'There's no meat in beer, right?'
-Joey Tribiani

Trinculo
Ex-Member

I don't believe there will be a fifth movie.
In the official movie magazines, there is no mention of a fifth alien film.

My rankings-
1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Alien Resurrection
4. Alien 3 (for me, the biggest flaw of this movie is the inadequate explanation of how an egg got aboard the Sulaco)

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always loved these movies and rank ALIENS on my personal, slightly subjective list of the greatest movies ever made.

Yes, Alien 3 was a departure from what the audience was expecting. Instead of copying the second movie...the copied the first one. But cat and mouse against one alien after seeing a whole horde in the previous movie never seemed very satisfying.

Then throw in the less-than-loveable characters, the strange "brick-lined factory in the future" setting and the off-hand way that Newt and Hicks were just erased from the story line, and you get a flick that really disappointed a lot of people. Not to mention that little cheat about how Ripley got a chest-burster---was the Alien Queen carrying an egg with her like an [American] football cradled in the crook of her elbow?

Yeah, I'm a blood+guts movie fan. I wanted more Marines, more 41A's, more dropships, so it took me several viewings on video to even warm up to Alien 3.

Alien Resurrection copied Aliens, but by then they'd lost a lot of fan respect, I think.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weaver is contracted for two more movies, in fact. At least, that is my understanding. Part of that contract is that she gets to co-produce them.

------------------
"Near the door! They leave reality inside!"

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, I never could get interested in any of these movies.

------------------
ALL GOOD THINGS

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the first two movies very much.

Especially the first one was groundbreaking, regarding how many times it has been imitated since. The Alien was the ugliest and meanest thing I'ver ever seen, the starship Nostromo was butt ugly, moist and uncomfortable, the people were no brilliant warriors, officers or scientists, but ordinary people. Everything quite different from Star Trek or Star Wars.

The second part had more action instead of the paralysing, often subconscious tension in the first part.

The third part was mostly lame, tried to imitate the tension in the first part, but did not really continue the storyline. Everything seemed unreal, and unfortunately this applied to the logic of the story likewise. The characters were of the kind you don't worry about. Who cares if they are all eaten by the Alien?

The forth part had a somewhat better story, but didn't reach the thrill of the first two stories. There was hardly anything new.

------------------
"No, thanks. I've had enough. One more cup and I'll jump to warp." (Janeway, asked if she would like some coffee in "Once upon a Time")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Feste
Ex-Member

The first two are the best. In Alien3 thought they broke faith with the audience by casually killing off Newt. Also couldn't buy how Ripley found herself great with alien. Alien4 fun to look at but didn't care much about the characters.

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be old news, but I just thought I would let everybody know that I went into a local discount store and picked up a copy of the Aliens Special Edition tape which has 17 minutes of restored footage that isn't present on the original release. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm pretty sure it has the sentinel guns scene in it this time...I remember seeing it during a TV showing, but I got the original released movie and that scene wasn't on there. Oh well, I'm sure its worth the $10.
Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus the Aliens: Colonial Marines Tech Manual is far better that the ones Paramount publishes.

------------------
"Minsk."

Cmdr Worf

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly right Cargile. I accidentally ran across a mention of that book on someone's website and I got a copy quick. It's full of detailed USMC info and in my opinion it is better than any of the Trek-manuals. (although it is kinda like apples and oranges since *most* of the USMC equipment is still low-tech compared to Star Trek equipment)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps