Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » I saw Return of The King! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I saw Return of The King!
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark Nguyen: "...some guy named Tom Bombadil..."

Um, judging by your wording, have you even read the books? If not, why do you care?

Anyway, to answer your question, here are two splendid guides, the first about "Fellowship of the Ring", the other about "The Two Towers", highlighting the major differences between the corresponding book and movie, in a neat list.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/movie.html
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/twotowers.html

They are quite fun to read and very thorough, though I of course recommend you read the books instead, it gives you the details in a more chronological and relevant form.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an anime fan! Anime fans don't READ! [Razz]

While I'm not proud to be the only person in my group of friends that hasn't read the book, it's still an interesting distinction. It's also on my books to read list. Eventually. After anime. Yeah. Anyway, thanks for answering my quesitons. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can you read anime?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Mouth of Sauron stuff was filmed, anyway.

I haven't seen the movie yet.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
How can you read anime?

Subitles, silly. And don't get me started on the whole sub vs. dub thing, if you know what that is - that's a whole other forum right there. [Smile]

Okay, I've read over the links Nim sent. Now I *want* to read the books, so I can get the books' picture and see what the Tolkien puritans are telling me...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conversely, criticizing the movies doesn't make one a Tolkien puritan, refusing to read any other books or watch any other movies than Tolkien's makes you a puritan.

So it would actually be in a "puritan"'s best interests to support the movies and what they've done for Tolkien, most of the Elite-Fan wannabes just haven't figured this out yet. In ten years they will, maybe.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

Explain this scene to me: it sounds cool and I never read the book.
Some kind of middle-earth Loqutus?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...refusing to read any other books or watch any other movies than Tolkien's makes you a puritan."

Actually, that just makes you a nutcase. Not that there is much difference between the two... B)

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Sol System:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explain this scene to me: it sounds cool and I never read the book.
Some kind of middle-earth Loqutus?

The Mouth of Sauron was explained to be a "Black Numenorean" or one of the kin of Aragorn's ancestors who went over to the dark side as it where. When the combined armies march on Mordor, they are confronted by the Mouth at the gates of the Morannon which lead into Mordor. The MOS produces the mithril coat that Frodo was wearing and taken from him by the Orcs at Cirith Ungol in an attempt to demoralize the good guys right before releasing about a billion orcs & their cohorts for the battle.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed not having the Mouth as well, he was cast too I believe. I think he was the pilot guy from Mad Max, reall tall and gangly looking guy, he was perfect. I'm sure we'll see something in the extended edition.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I somehow envisioned a giant pair of those chattering teeth noveltys.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce Spence, also in Dark City.

The film did have problems in pacing, but not just at the end. Most of their part of TTT was concerned with Frodo and Sam travelling to Mordor with Gollum, and finally reaching Shelob's Lair; by moving the encounter with Shelob to the middle of ROTK that left us with MORE travelling with Gollum, but with Frodo acting increasingly wimpish. It got annoying after a while.

There are a few loose ends which, while it's easy to say "Oh, they'll be tied up in the Extended DVD" did detract from the film as well. No Saruman - I wonder if he'll be seen chucking the Palantir out the window, I hated the idea of it just being found the way it was; no Mouth of Sauron - Aragorn's suicidal charge and the cry "For Frodo!" makes more sense if the MoS had just told them he was dead; and I'm totally clueless as to Elrond's motives: why tell Aragorn that Arwen's dying? To make him kill himself by travelling the Paths of the Dead? I know it was either Elrond or Galadriel who sent him a message in the book suggesting he use that route, but that was just useful advice; was Elrond trying to encourage him to go that way by making him think he had nothing to lose?

We took my parents to see it, and towards the end I did see my wife and my mum surreptitiously taking out hankies for a little sniffle. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Bruce Spence, also in Dark City.

He was also that superfluous Train guy in Matrix: Revolutions.

I think he's also been cast in SW:EpIII

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps