Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » YukiKaze vs Macross Zero (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: YukiKaze vs Macross Zero
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the joys, JOYS! of going road trip shopping with a friend to LA's Lit' Tokyo. the sights! the sounds! the smells! (is that man urinating?)

anyway, i pilgrimed to a couple of manga and model kit shops and in one, i picked up a import DVD of Yukikazi ( http://www.yukikazenet.com/home.htm ), a current scifi aviation anime depicting the adventures of a boy and his plane...with a Lit AI and a gun in the back of the plane (really useful when you pore 1/2 a clip into the annoying nuke missle on your tail "i have ctrl"). overall greatly impressive. they took a few pages from the old Star Wars sound effects rule book in thier effort for proper motor sound effects. the story was a bit vague in a way but i really didnt care, i was in the airplane otaku zone, blinded by the love of flight of very fast and fragile airframes...

i havent seen Macross Zero yet. the disc was there but i'm naturally stupid when you try to explain region 1 and 2 discs to me. might as well explain how you get a Bud Light from Florida bible thumpers via a blender...have you seen it? thoughts? [Wink]

Yeah, i know. "shut up noob!"

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukikaze is an anime about pretty planes, covering up a rather obtuse character story about pretty boy pilots and their angsty fraternal romances/relationships. Macross Zero is an anime about pretty planes that turn into pretty robots, which complement a relatively simple story about the destruction of traditionalism by technology.

Take your pick. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
the disc was there but i'm naturally stupid when you try to explain region 1 and 2 discs to me.

Region 1 discs only work in region 1 players. Region 2 discs only work in region 2 players.

Region 1 players are sold in the US. Region 2 players are sold in Europe and Japan.

Seriously, if you can't understand that, you shouldn't be allowed to operate a computer. Or any sort of machinery.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada is also part of region 1. You can also fix players to play any region's DVDs.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, I'm horrified.
Are you suggesting that we do something illegal?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Experimental fighters from Macross PLus are far superior to that Yukikazi cow.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
the disc was there but i'm naturally stupid when you try to explain region 1 and 2 discs to me.

Region 1 discs only work in region 1 players. Region 2 discs only work in region 2 players.

Region 1 players are sold in the US. Region 2 players are sold in Europe and Japan.

Seriously, if you can't understand that, you shouldn't be allowed to operate a computer. Or any sort of machinery.

i was *joking* and i *do* operate machinery, tu, mister inspector from OSHA.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
The Experimental fighters from Macross PLus are far superior to that Yukikazi cow.

why? yes the YF-19 was a fine design for the natural evolution of Variable Fighters. sure, it has mounts a portable Fold pod, comes standard equipted with a PPB system and generally can beat any other comparable scifi aircraft (other than the YF-21 and perhaps Macross II's VF-2SS) curently depicted (IMlowlyO) but why the down playing of the YukiKaze? what exactly makes it a failure? after all, it's just a "anime about pretty planes, covering up a rather obtuse character story about pretty boy pilots and their angsty fraternal romances/relationships". there's resentment there but you have not told us *why*?

*lights up a smoke*

please inform my noobness, i really would like to know, sir [Confused]

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe because, with all due respect to Yukikaze, she (it?) is just a plane, and thus (as seen in first part of Macross Zero) doesn't really stand a chance in fight against any variable fighter.

(and, incidentally, Macross Valkyries supposedly pack more punch than Gundams [Razz] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
Maybe because, with all due respect to Yukikaze, she (it?) is just a plane, and thus (as seen in first part of Macross Zero) doesn't really stand a chance in fight against any variable fighter.

(and, incidentally, Macross Valkyries supposedly pack more punch than Gundams [Razz] )

depends... one reason, actually the ONLY reason some of the designs in any (if not all) MS Gundam series are oddballish is because of the power plants used to power the mobile suits: mynovsky particles. since, according to what i've read, the emissions from the power plants block most forms of transmissions (making radio, radar and perhaps some overtechnolgy systems non functional). that would put Variable Fighters at a disadvantage since visual coms, various sensor systems and various forms of radar at the key basis for piloting VF series aircraft. that's the technicul drawbacks, now physical: the MSs physically and structurally stronger. designed for physical combat, in a punching or grappling situation, a VF would find itself quickly disabled, up to a point that he might not be able to transform to save him or her self.

i dunno if VFs "would rule" MSs as a rule. thier ARE peers mind you. but oly peers and not surperior machines like you think... [Wink]

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll get little argument from me - to me, it sure looks impressive when Gundam 01 from Gundam Wing spins around with his patented double-barelled BFG [Smile]
(that's why I said "supposedly", after all)

I would like to point a few things, though.
Valkyries were designed for psychical combat, too - that was the whole idea behind variable fighter, wasn't it?
And, we've seen VF pilots operating their machines without benefits of radars or radios.

And please kindly reword your last sentence for me, since I wasn't able to understand it.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cross-series mech versus mech debates are as pointless as ST vs SW, just thought I'd remind everyone. They do nothing but boost the sale of asbestos underwear.

IIRC, Yukikaze didn't have a gun in the tail. When it was being chased by that missile, the AI took over, spun the jet around 180 degrees and was flying backwards on reverse thrust while engaging the missile with the forward cannon.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
Cross-series mech versus mech debates are as pointless as ST vs SW, just thought I'd remind everyone. They do nothing but boost the sale of asbestos underwear.

IIRC, Yukikaze didn't have a gun in the tail. When it was being chased by that missile, the AI took over, spun the jet around 180 degrees and was flying backwards on reverse thrust while engaging the missile with the forward cannon.

Really? i didnt even see that! ill have to check that out again. and for the mini flame, i'm sorry. its just that i grew up learning about Robowreck, then Macross, then anime in general. The Valkyrie is what eventually got me into what i do for a living: an Aviation Suppport Equipment mech. it really doesnt matter who is bigger a**hole on the block. i think Macross, Gundam & YukiKaze each has coolness and faults in realitive equal measures. if they didnt why would you watch em? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for adding "Robowreck" to my vocabulary, man! I also grew up on that, then switched to the purer Macross and its franchise once I realized Robotech for the oppotunistic dreck that it is. Bravo. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hilariously changing the name of something slightly into something derogatory is very 1999, y'know.

And it wasn't funny then.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah fuck goddamn shit fuck.

I had prepped to use Star Bores in a sentence.

Wait, I just did.

VINDICATION!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps