Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dawn of the Dead **Possible Spoilers**

Author Topic: Dawn of the Dead **Possible Spoilers**
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, who besides me has seen it and what did you think.

I enjoyed it but I've never seen the first version so I can't compare. It was worth the money to see.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

E. Keeler
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for E. Keeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it anything like 28 days later in the way the effects for the zombies are done....? I get that impressio9n from the trailers.

It would be well worth watching the original- I havent seen the remake yet but like as not for fans of good old gore movies this 'new improved' version will be severly lacking in what make films like that so good-low budget over the top gore!

--------------------
"Smooth as an Android's bottom...?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it.
It's a good popcorn movie and it's fun to watch, just remember: it's a ZOMBIE MOVIE, so dont expect King Lear.
I'ts well acted and Ving Rhames(sp?) is his usual baddass self.
One minor annoyance is a pregnant girl that looks as though she's holding a beachball to her stomach.
She doesnt look even slightly pregnant.

Good effects, lotsa laught to break up the tension and the dead are pretty damn fast on their feet.

Nothing crawls out of it's grave though: it's kind of an infection that gets transmitted via bites from the canibalistic zombies and causes death withing hours and the....revival as a zombie!

No explanation is given as to the cause but it spreads lightning fast and civilization crumbles quick.
It's actually more creepy NOT knowing the cause because you're as in the dark as the main characters are.

Watch for cameo appearances by all the original DOTD actors in this remake: it's great when filmmakers do that.

It's definitely worth watching but not as good as 28 Days Later was....although far more disturbing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I thought 28 Days Later was overrated; it was a decent enough film, but I enjoyed this one more.

Unfortunately, the Dawn remake just doesn't have the impact the original had. It's not really the film's fault, though. The original version had the advantage that we really hadn't seen anything like it before, whereas the remake has to contend with all the films of the genre we've seen in the last quarter century.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

E. Keeler
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for E. Keeler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problem is going to be convincing my fella to go with me to watch it, he can be a bit of a film snob, especially when it comes to gore movies-he knows his stuff and really doesnt want to see this remake.

I on the other hand dont mind newer gore movies like you said as an exercise in sitting and eating popcorn.....

Have you seen City of the Dead/Gates of Hell- its an old Italian gore movie that was banned for ages coz a chick pukes up her own liver..?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm not to big on gore flick, although I'm watching my favorite gory movie of all time though as I post:
John Carpenter's The Thing

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter Jackson's Braindead... [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

E. Keeler
Member # 1272

Braindead, is that the one with the rat-monkeys.....?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the priest-delivered ass-kicking.
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the happy zombie couple "doing it" while having an iron bar stuck straight through theirs chests...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best character has to be uncle Les, though.
"Just chop'em up, kill'em undead buggers! I know how to do it, I've read comic books."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps