Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Incredibles - $$$$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Incredibles - $$$$$$
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it this evening, was completely blown away, and the rest of the audience with me (especially the girls liked it, to my surprise).
It got totally trashed by two (normally) popular movie critics here in Stockholm, but both of them are feminist liberal women who hate the concept of the nuclear family and one of them even commented on Syndrome the bad guy's building of WMD devices as "a stupid and insensitive move in these times we live in". Talk about having a garden rake up her ass.

I'm going to try and quantify why I think it was good, so it actually means anything and is not an OMG LOL-class review.

First off, effects. The shiny (almost shimmering) suits that resembled Superman's nylon, the hairdos (especially the daughter's) and the general detail of environments, realistic gyrodynamics and inertia, the best I've ever seen, on the microlevel.

Secondly, good actors. Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter and Sam Jackson are actors I really like and Hunter was the best. But I must say that I even liked the two kids a lot, I got no feeling of wanting to groan (Jar Jar syndrome) at any point. Especially the boy was so natural, unaffected and dynamic. Come to think of it, he felt like a really good Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes).

Thirdly, the general facial/body animations (emoting), also the best I've ever seen in a CGI-cartoon. When Elastigirl saw a hi-speed tram approaching, she started rustling her feet and shoulders like a goalie countering a ball or a cat preparing to pounce. "ok-ok-ok-ok-GO!!".
All the little details added to the realism as well, small eyebrow quirks, sublime mouth muscle movements. When other animators have done it before it has easily gotten crude and exaggerated, I never felt that here. Some closeup-scenes even surpassed Gollum in realistic facial expressions, I must say.

Then there's the drama. Helen warning her children that they might die, Bob in anguish after the plane explosion, all very risky maneuvers on the writers' and director's part. Funny enough, I've seen several superhero-movies these last 5 years that didn't get close to this drama quality, and they were live actors!

Some people claim that "The Incredibles" is a ripoff and plagiarism on the Fantastic Four and that Marvel should sue.
Um, it's a parody on superheroes! Homage, tribute, nods! Anything getting through to you? No?

Actually, I think I won't enjoy "Fantastic Four" nearly as much as I did this movie, given how "Daredevil", "Hulk" and "Spiderman 2" felt to me. Those movies had some moments of heavy groaning.

I really appreciated the timing and delivery of the humor throughout the whole movie. The strongest impression I got was "This director knows what he's doing with what he's got!". The dinner-table fight and the sidewalk kid on the tricycle, just spot on.

Also, and this is very rare for me, I found Helen/Elastigirl really attractive and a believable character. Sensible, strong and intelligent, but not above snappiness under stress (missile chase) or anguish (realizing her husband may be lying to her or cheating on her but being hesitant to confront him yet, hoping she's wrong). She might be the most human cartoon character I've ever seen, and the most feminine.

It might just be me but seeing a headstrong but self-scrutinizing female lead that doesn't cross the line into bitchville, that's rare and very very sexy.

Some would probably say that this review and my praise is over the top and highflying for a "simple cartoon movie", and I say that's bullshit and I don't care and also I rule.

Even if the movie is largely tongue-in-cheek and the general premise and aforementioned nuclear family angle is saccarine-decent, this film evoked a range and depth of reactions in me that Tobey Macguire/Eric Bana could just forget about coming close to. (Blackhouse Down and Ciderhawk Rulez may be good, but Hulk and Spiddy-II put these two gentlemen into corned beef).

Ta ta!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For anyone who even remotely likes "The Incredibles", you absolutely MUST find and watch "The Iron Giant", director Brad Bird's earlier animated film. This underappreciated masterpiece has all the qualities that make "The Incredibles" a hit present in spades, albeit in a slightly less refined form. Still, the spot-on characters, writing, comedy and action make "The Iron Giant" one of my all-time favorite films of any genre or medium, as I'm sure this latest film will be as well. If you haven't, go watch! And if you have, go watch again!

And after you watch it, see if you can spot the verbal IG reference in "The Incredibles". Go on, I'll wait. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure will.

I have to add this as well, funny.
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news1104/incredibles.html

"Accept Jesus and get a Playstation 2!" is a bit strong. Like SomethingAwful's TruthMedia reviews.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw it this afternoon. Terrific. Really funny. Wonderful voice-acting. Nice new skin and hair modelling. Great lighting throughout. Tremendous timing. I think what I love is that they've improved technically but that hasn't distracted them one jot from making believable and interesting characters and then telling a story with them.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised noone started a thread on this sooner. It's been out a while in the States. I kept meaning to, but never got around to it.

I agree with everything that's been said so far. This was simply one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I wasn't bored for a minute.

The parts after Bob gets captured I think are probably the best. When he grabs white-haired chick and threatens to kill her... but can't. Wonderfully done. The missle attack and Elastigirl frantically trying to get her daughter to use her powers... beautiful. The jungle fight where the whole family works as a team. Absolutely stunning.

I thought the effects used to create the super power effects were also very impressive. The forcefield effect in particular.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tremendous writing of this film helps define it for me. When Helen and the kids are being attacked by the missiles, I was literally on the edge of my seat - would they dodge them, use the force fields, cause them to crash into each other? NO! The resulting hair's breadth was exciting like no action film has made me in a long time.

And of course, Frozone adds a coolness factor (pun not intended) that puts this film over the top. I swear, Samuel Jackson could make a movie where he's just reading a phone book and STILL kick everyone's ass.

Mark

Aside: the Special Edition of "The Iron Giant" is out on DVD today. Even though I have the original release, I'm still gonna get this one. Seriously, IT'S THAT GOOD. [Smile]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOh! I must get the IGSE. I sense a lunch time mission coming. How much is it going for?

...Superman...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
Member # 205

meff
Nim
Member # 205

Igse.cx, nonetheless.

I will buy IGSE, but I feel apprehension since I've seen the Futurama-episode where I think they spoofed Iron Giant (Tales! Ovvvv! Interest!!, Pt.II), and already now I have misgivings about what state it will leave me in.  -

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I bought it at lunch. $15.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

$18 CND up here, where I'll get it after work. If an increasingly-lousy US dollar is good for anything, it's imports. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just pretend that I have copied and pasted everything Nim said. It was good. A bit less humour and a bit more action than prevous Pixar films, but just as good. Those people are incapable of making a bad movie, it seems.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Wait until they're free from Disney. My guess is that they get even better.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, although I don't see how. I doubt Disney exerts that much influence over them considering how successful they are. The only thing that might happen is that they might try making more "adult" CGi movies, which might not be a good thing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I don't know... never underestimate the power of a large corporation that thinks way too much of itself to screw up a good thing.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps