Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Incredibles - $$$$$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Incredibles - $$$$$$
StarLord
Member # 1430

- posted      Profile for StarLord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this film and it was really, really good. It worked on two levels--one for the kids, the other for the adults. Well done, well animated and a great story. I think we will probably see a Disney Channel TV show or an ABC Saturday morning TV show based on it rather than a sequel movie, but I enjoy the movie as much as my kids did.

--------------------
www.incredibleworlds.cjb.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And it's out on DVD, now.

And it is a good, good thing. Pixar has always looked fantastic on any size screen, and this is no exception!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must... buy... DVD...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great film alround. My favourite bit has to be the jet/missiles scene. Very tense stuff, even for a live action film and Holly Hunter delivers the flight jargon dialogue in a surprisingly natural and convincing way.
Anyone else notice the Mallrats reference when "Buddy" first shows up in the prologue?

I'm with Mark in regards to IG, it's a superb animated film. Right up there with the likes of Aladdin, Lion King and Spirited Away.

So what's this about an Iron Giant reference in The Incredibles?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly there's a verbal reference to Iron Giant somewhere... but I've not been able to find it (yes, I bought the DVD this weekend).

The jet scene is indeed fabulous. If you watch some of the extras, you'll see that originally, the pilot ElastiGirl called for the plane originally piloted them to the island and died in the explosion. I think the finished sequence with her flying, trying to control the kids, yelling on the radio, and finally chucking it all to run back to the children worked far better.

What's the Mallrats tie-in? I would've thought I would've caught that... I must slipping in my old age... (wait, was that a Mallrats tie-in too...)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I got the disc too and I think they made the right call in regards to having the pilot die.
It would have been good drama and a brave move for an animated film (something disney has only donw twice before) but ultimatly, having Elastigirl alone with the kids' fate in her hands made the danger all the more personal and I think added to the desperation that really comes through in the vocal performance.

I have no clue where the IG reference is either, however the Mallrats reference is right at the beginning where Buddy/Incredi-boy appears in the car. Mr Incredible goes through some names trying to remember what the kid is called, one of those names is Brodie.
For those who don't know, Brodie is the main charcter in Mallrats, played by Jason Lee, who also plays Buddy/Syndrome in The Incredibles.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Iron Giant" reference was in the plane sequence. Helen IDs the plane as "India Golf Niner Niner", or I.G. 99. "Iron Giant" was released in 1999. I laughed out loud in the theatre when I heard that one, to tbe bewilderment of the folks with me.

As for "Mallrats", when Mr. I is first annoyed by Buddy in the opening scenes of the movie, he calls him "Brodie" while recalling his name. Syndrome voice actor Jason Lee played Brodie in that film.

EDIT - A bazillion trivia references have been found here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317705/trivia

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't IG-88 an Imperial droid, or bounty hunter or something, in The Empire Strikes Back? I remember the name from the action figures from back then...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cried in Iron Giant. Really. Couldn't help it.

And yes, the Incredibles are incredible.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

[Smile] I cry every time I watch Iron Giant. It starts after they launch the missile and IG starts to figure out that he can stop it. I was watching it with my girlfriend last weekend and whispered to her, "Chances are I'm going to cry here in a second. Don't think less of me."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw crud, I still haven't seen IG yet, curse my lazy yet fine ass. Ah well, Bender kind of gave it away in that IG-Futurama scene.

About Gazer-Beam (dead cyclops-guy in the cave), how could he know the codeword for the badguy computer network, wasn't that just a bit too convenient? Was there ever a rational explanation to that? I forget.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

It was in the script.

(I've always wondered about that too, but am willing to let it go in favor of the other finery that is the Incredibles)

We can assume he was summoned to Nomanisa Island under the same pretense that Mr. I was. He probably learned of the e-vil plot after having defeated a lesser bot and somehow ended up in the cave only to be taken out by one of Syndrome's toys. That's the only reason I can think of that he would've ended up in the cave instead of killed by the robot.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Slokunshialgo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After hearing all this, and watching a bit at walmart, I'm really tempted to get this movie after work tommorow, and have a look.

Then afterwords, popping the Iron Giant into my VCR, and watching that for the first time in about 2 years.

IP: Logged
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Incredibles is great. Loved it. In fact, I'm listening to the sound track album right now! But that upcoming "Cars" looks like a step backwards. Doesn't seem to have much in the way of interesting character design.

What I like about Pixar movies is that they don't take the lazy way out of relying on the character and appearance of the voice actors, on idiotic jokes on modern consumer products, or racial stereotypes in animal form, as some CG movies do. For example, that piece of shit Shark Tale. Fortunately, no one will remember Shark Tale in a few months.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps