Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Batman Begins (Possible $$$$$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Batman Begins (Possible $$$$$$)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Jason, I'm afraid you're mistaken. Batman has always been a killer and a vigilante who has been motivated as much by his own desire for revenge as a longing for justice. He is a deeply psychologically disturbed individual, perhaps even on the same level as some of the villains he's defeated.

You sure? The comics I've read have always been pretty clear that not killing is the one thing that seperates Batman from those he fights, the thing that stops him falling into the abyss, such as it were. Yes, he's a deeply disturbed individual who has basically sacrificed his own life in order to stop anyone else from suffering what he suffered. But that's balanced by his extended family, who help keep him (at least partially) sane.

Besides, you really think that Tim, Dick, Barbara, and Jim Gordon would ally themselves with him if he was a brutal Punisher-esc villian.

Liam's got it completely correct here: the one thing he does NOT do is kill.
Joker pushed him right to the very edge by killing Jason Todd (Robin II) and Commisioner Gordon almost shot Batman to stop him from going over that edge.
He did break Joker's neck, causing severe (if comic-book-temporary) parilysis.

Tim Drake became Robin because after Jason Tdd's death, Batman was slowly becoming more vioent and punishng himself for Todd's death: the idea is that Robin keeps Batman's violence in check.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a very disturbing Batman-mag, where he and Superman fought a blond girl who had become a vampire, it was really terrifying. Batman shoved a stake through her torso before she could drain Superman, who couldn't hold her off for some reason.

The same year, he fought some strange guy dressed out like the grim reaper, cutting people in half with his gigantic hand-scythe, that was the goriest mag I've ever seen.
He did smack the guy over the edge of a skyscraper IIRC, and they solved the "no-killing" clause by making it so it was the reaper who let go of the ledge. Pretty lame.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that the one where he strapped on a piece? I remember the cover, and the artwork was done by Alan Davis.

Mmmmm... Alan Davis...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Batman: Year 2. I think that was the first time he ever was depicted with a gun.
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a codpiece but I don't remember him having a gun.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is my rifle and this is my gun.. one is for shooting, the other's for fun!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that he almost shoots someone with a gun is the primary reason he stopped being Batman when he got older, according to Batman: Beyond.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to go back and look at that comic, but I'm fairly certain he shoots the Reaper in Year 2. Don't think it was fatal though. It was mostly because he was getting his butt whooped royally.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Nim
Member # 205

I seem to remember he had a ballistic vest under his bat emblem, looked checkered, like an egg carton. Ah, the things we remember.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was the idea behind the bat emblem. At least, according to Frank Miller.

"Why do they think I walk around with a bullseye on my chest? Impossible to bullet proof my cowl". Or something like that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yah, the idea was that the yellow would attract their aim. I remember that scene too, where Bats takes a hit in the chest and we see the armor underneath.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps