Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "Prometheus Unbound" (Spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SG1 "Prometheus Unbound" (Spoilers)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The comedy episode of the season still fits into the plot arcs, despite really only having just one of the regulars present. A decent action episode, if only because of all the sexual innuendo going around.

-"And I'm taking Walter with me too." [Smile]

-It's always good to see Hammond back, and this time he's given more to do than even the time when he helped Bra'tac fly an old death glider through a stargate to rescue SG-1. There was no real reason HE had to be the guy to beam over to the cargo ship to get the control crystal; if Novak had done it she'd have finished much sooner by knowing what to do in the first place.

-SG-3 is seen again, with Colonel Reynolds in charge. For those who don't know him, Reynolds is probably the longest-lived SGC field member besides the SG-1 members, having first been seen as a Major at Area 51 in the second season, then as the temporary commmander of the SG-16 engineer team. SG-3 is probably no longer a marine combat team, as Reynolds is USAF; given the amount of action they've seen in the last three years, they're probably one of the SGC's top combat units, after the SG-1 and 2 flagship teams.

-Prometheus must have either a really small, or really wimpy crew to be taken over by one woman with a zat gun. Fine - so zats, the anti-Kull pulse weapon and bullets won't work; can't they just wrestle her to the ground? Does the Kull armor have some sort of Iron Man quality to it?

-Vala escapes at the end of the show basically the same way, so she's gotta have something about her...

-As Vala is kicking everyone's asses, they figure one way to stop her is to use the manual override in the engine room. Hammond orders Daniel to go do it - why? Daniel goes on at length about how he can't operate the ship. At least a couple of jumpsuits go with him to make it make a little more sense.

-Speaking of which, she's coming back next year for five episodes, alongside new regular cast member Ben Browder as a former F-302 pilot and new military member of SG-1.

-"My name is... Olo. Hans Olo." [Smile]

-So, just how much of Vala's story is true? We're given little substantiation of what she's spouting through the episode. Other than that she must have been a Goa'uld host at some point (so she can operate their technology), there's little proof that she's anything but a thief who can hotwire most anything and look great in a black bodysuit.

-Thanks to Vala and Daniel, the hull is literally shot. They have to head home for repairs, and thus can't finish the trip to Pegasus. Luckily though, the Asgard engines are fine, so they can easily be transferred over to Daedalus... [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, I didn't like it. Seemed off. Might have been that the audio track on my download was out of synch, all the smacking just didn't work at all. Continually pausing couldn't have helped, either. But... come on, what are the odds that Daniel AND Sam would end up in such similar situations? That Prometheus can't get ANYWHERE without running into trouble...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one haven't been much of a fan of the "let's do the four-person dynamic WITHOUT four people" efforts for these last two seasons. There have been decent episodes, but SG-1 is a team-rooted show, and is at their best when adventuring as such. I'm really looking forward to a restoration of that particular formula with the next season.

As for Prometheus getting smacked around so much, well... Aside from the above paragraph almost necessitating these sorts of episodes, she's Earth's first battleship. The SGC is continuously outclassed by just about everyone's tech, so their being dropped into these sorts of situations are almost expected. Next year, it'll be Teal'c's turn to be trapped on a nonfunctioning Prometheus and making out with someone as a result. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Daniel goes on at length about how he can't operate the ship."

Except, he was lying, as evidenced by the fact that, after he locked Vala up, he wanted her to give him the new codes so he could (wait for it...) operate the ship.

Observation: Perpetuating a problem that started (as far as I know) earlier this season (with a Jaffa in the episode "Sacrifices"), Vala used the word "zat".

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SHIT! I just typed a whole heap and accidently when back a screen and now I've lost it all.

Basically:

What's up with the Zat thing - the fact that they shortened the word?

I too thought there was something a little off with this episode. Basically it had no point.

It was a very funny episode - but that's pretty much all it had going for it - apart from Claudia Black in a cat-suit.

What point is there in bringing her back for *5* episodes next season? She did nothing for the story line. *apart from the fact it's Claudia Black in a cat-suit. Anyway I find her voice more sexy [Wink] *Homer Simpson growl*

I'd rather have the crazy hiccup chick back - yes, yes except for the whole CB in a C-S. [Big Grin]

What is the Daedelus? The next Prometheus Class F-303? When did they mention it's name?

The Prommie ran out of weapons and shields pretty quickly.

Who's symbol was that in the Alkesh control room?

Vala was good enough to take out all those military officers but she fought with Daniel like Xander and Harmony did in Buffy!?! (albight with less hair pulling and more actual punches).

Are the Tau'ri becoming more like the Goa'uld? Their technology is scavenged from other races - Bit of Terran tech, Goa'uld tech, Asgard tech.

Did they get to keep Osiris' Alkesh from a few episodes ago? Was it intact?

And just a random thought - how many Galaxies did the Ancients go to and put gates on? We know of 3 so far. I wonder if the Asgard originally came from their Galaxy or migrated there?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

"What's up with the Zat thing - the fact that they shortened the word?"

This was from the very first episode (the first season's finale) that they introduced the weapons to SG-1. Teal'C identifies them as Zat'ni'katel, and Jack, ever the one not to be able to pronounce things not English, just orders everyone to cell them zat guns. In the subsequent years, this has seemed to flow into the vernacular of the Goa'uld (and everyone else), who commonly use phrases like "zat blast" and "if you zat me even once" that they wouldn't have before.

But the Jaffa have been known to shorten their own awkward word themselves (takunitagaminituron), so it may have been a parallel development. And zat just happens to sound cool. [Smile]

Mark

[ January 11, 2005, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Taks."

"Tak'nikitels?"

"Tak'unitagaminiturons."

"..."

"Taks."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheh yeah - the Taks - what did they look like again?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Are the Tau'ri becoming more like the Goa'uld? Their technology is scavenged from other races - Bit of Terran tech, Goa'uld tech, Asgard tech."

The difference, of course, being that the humans aren't going around conquering people and stealing their technology.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/technology/t/takunitagaminituron.shtml

This epsiode, BEING a comedy episode, sorta belittles the Prometheus and her crew. Luckily she's operable by as few as one or two people... OTOH, I think that a partial explanation as to why Vala could take the ship over so easily was that there were so few people aboard in the first place. Why so few? It's more than likely that they were on a skeleton crew in case they had to evacuate everyone from Atlantis. This amounts to over a hundred people; add in stores and logistics for the trip there and back, and it figures they wanted to take a lean crew to Pegasus. There's no mention of HOW long transit to Atlantis would take, but it's probably significantly longer than four days - wait for the Atlantis finale for an explanation of that number.

Daedelus is not mentioned in this episode - it's obstensibly the second in the BC-303 line of Earth warships, and a tip of the hat to the Macross anime that I know one of the writers has seen. [Smile]

The Al'kesh that Osiris had shows up again this season. It wouldn't be the first one the SGC had captured - another Al'kesh was captured by O'Neil and Teal'c last season, and they incorporated its hyperdrive into the Prometheus, which had been stranded on an alien planet since the previous year (when her original naquadria-enhanced hyperdrive overloaded). It follows with at least one Al'kesh being captured that the SGC would know how to operate it, as Walter so aptly demonstrated with this episode. [Smile]

The Ancients (Lanteans) may have only placed stargates in two galaxies, this one and in the Pegasus dwarf galaxy, but there's absolutely nothing to say that they didn't do so on many more. The one seen used by the Asgard may be the only one for all we know, used by them for travel intergalactically only, since their own FTL is pretty effective. We haven't seen other gates in the Ida galaxy, as near as I can remember...

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
The Al'kesh that Osiris had shows up again this season. It wouldn't be the first one the SGC had captured
Mark

Yeah but I can't remember what happened at the end of the episode - the ship was left intact after the Trust people were stopped?

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erh, yes, because it daringly escaped into hyperspace at the Last Possible Moment™.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

No no, that was in "Prometheus Unbound" - I'm talking about the one Osiris had parked in orbit, the Trust were using it, SG1 captured The Trust - I can't remember if the Alkesh ended up remaining 'undestroyed' or not.

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

No, that was in Endgame. And, like I said, the ship got away, so, yes, it remained "undestroyed".

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't a huge fan of this one either.

Was what's her name's immunity to the fuzzy blast because the armor was different, or because whatever that is just affects the mutated weirdos that normally wear it? Because if its the latter, it seems like a clever Goa'uld could just strip out the freaks and put in regular soldiers who would be unstoppable again. (At least for the 40 minutes it would take our heroes to think up and build yet another superweapon.)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps