Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG1 "The Reckoning, Part II" [Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SG1 "The Reckoning, Part II" [Spoilers]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's an internal code - accessing stargates within one system!?! If that was possible.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, presumably, by the time the Ancients developed the stargates, they probably already had pretty good means of intra-system transport by ship.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure - and even the Goa'uld's relatively primitive FTL technology is STILL the better alternative to transport cargo and troops. But if a few people want to go literally from doorstep to doorstep withour all that mucking about in hyperspace, not to mention spaceports, transport to and from said facilities, etc., a gate's still the way to travel.

Mark

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, the one thing the gates seem perfect for is sending small groups of people on missions of exploration. Convenient. (Though it makes me wonder: perhaps the Ancients only built the gates for that purpose, and never actually used them much themselves, outside of the occasional emergency? A social engineering project, say, instead of a transportation system. Or maybe the weapon found in this episode constitutes the actual purpose of the gates.)
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. Anyone ever play the Myst games? Spoilers for it, so stop here if you care.

The D'ni civilization wrote books that linked to fantastic worlds, which they referred to as Ages. The operating principle was that every possible world must exist or have existed in some universe, somewhere, at some time. Thus, write the book describing it (it's more complex than that, of course), and you can go there. Some families owned ages for personal use, others were in public libraries. Might be something similar, gates used to give people easy access to park worlds, or garden worlds, or whatever.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps