Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BG: "6 Degrees of Separation"

Author Topic: BG: "6 Degrees of Separation"
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's sort of a weird title.

Any thoughts? This was one of my favorite episodes, though the whole "Oh man, was she really on the ship or what was the deal?" ending was a little, I don't know, goofy. Like, unless they take the show in a drastically different direction tonally then sure she was really there.

This episode seems to be suggesting that the Cylons, even when one of them is only simulated (perhaps even hallucinatory), are in some sort of subliminal contact with each other (unless Baltar's body gets taken over when he sleeps). Aside from holding all sorts of useful nuggets of wisdom, figuring out how to access, or even just detect, these transmissions ought to provide a Cylon detector that actually works. I mean, if nothing else, Cylon replicants have to have some organ or device in their body capable of copying and transmitting their memories.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous 3. It just felt rather clunky, for lack of a better expression.

Still, it does leave open a lot of questions. How did Six get onto the fleet? Has she been there the whole time? Where did she go at the end? Did another Cylon agent help her off the Galactica? Boomer or someone yet to be identified?

Did Boomer write "Cylon" on her mirror? Someone else?

Do the Cylon raiders have the same level of intelligence and reasoning as the Cylon agents, or are they more "primitive" like pets, as alluded to by Boomer?

Where are we going with the Helo subplot? Are there any other human survivors on Caprica or any other colony world?

Questions... questions...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers here for the rest of the season, so be warned:

Sol,

She was really there - well, at least, another copy of Number Six. Presumeably she'd been with the fleet for the whole time - and as with the Kevin Spacey double in "Litmus", and in next week's episode, we'll see that there are other Cylon agents hiding with the surviving ships. (Not to mention, uh, Boomer). Presumeably, she slipped off the ship or ejected herself out an airlock or something.

There are no other human survivors on Caprica. However, Helo will be reunited with Starbuck by the end of the first season - and he's the father, with Boomer II pregnant.

Herb:

We've seen that humanish Cylons can control the robotic versions, which seem more like trained beasts than thinking, reasoning individuals. I'd say that the Cylons troopers - and Cylon fighters - are more like beasts-of-burden.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This episode seems to be suggesting that the Cylons, even when one of them is only simulated (perhaps even hallucinatory), are in some sort of subliminal contact with each other (unless Baltar's body gets taken over when he sleeps)."

The physical Six wasn't aware of the one in Baltar's head, was she?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how we can tell. The physical Six never admitted to being a Cylon, much less mentioned what she as a Cylon was and wasn't aware of. But, at the end, imaginary Six (When did anyone call her that, by the way? I think it must have been in the miniseries, but I don't remember it.) strongly suggests that the whole affair was purposely orchestrated to turn out as it did, so either she's lying or creatively interpreting events, or the Cylons outside Baltar's head have the same agenda as she does without knowing she's there, or they're in contact.

The Cylons seem to be burning through their covert agents fairly quickly. That is, there are now three models that can never pass for human again. Why not just make them all look different, I wonder, rather than having only a small set of identical, uh, n-tuplets?

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't she give the impression more that it was God's plan to make them all love Baltar?

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, yes, but I don't really think there's a distinction between what God wants and what the Cylons want, since either they are devoted to their faith and act in accordance with what they think God wants, or they have actually built God on their own, and thus God says what the Cylons want to hear. In either case, "God's will" and the Cylons' plan seem to have a one to one correspondance.

(That is, unless the shocking cliffhanger people who have seen the season finale talk about is proof that an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God really does exist in the Galactica universe.)

[Note: I do not actually want to know what the shocking cliffhanger is.]

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe God is the Imperious Leader

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps