Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » DW: "Rose" (spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DW: "Rose" (spoilers)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see DW and think Darkwing Duck... [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed the first 30 seconds and so didn't get the theme tune, but which is the best bit? There are three possible contenders:

1/ Bass bit by itself. Dum da-duh, dum-da-duh, dim-da-duh daaaaa (repeat)
2/ The actual tune itself. Woo-ooo-woooo.
3/ That bit where it suddenly goes all major key. Used for the first couple of Doctor's (I think). Not used at all for T Baker, came back in with Davison, and McCoy actually got it in the opening credits. Da...dun da daaa dududaaaa.

Anyway, let's nitpick! While in Rose's apartment the Doctor looks at a mirror of himself and comments that he doesn't look too bad, implying that he's only just regenerated and hasn't had a chance to look in a mirror. I know the Doctor is normally a bit off after regenerating, but he usually checks to see what he looks like straight away. I was going to comment that all the stuff NerdMan showed of the Doctor in the past shows that he changed a while ago, but I suppose he might not have gone back to watch Kennedy being shot yet (BTW, that was an appalling photoshop job there. Eccleston's face didn't fit in at all.)

And from a slightly gay point of view, if I'd gone from looking like Paul McGann to having Eccleston's face, I'd be fairly annoyed. But this man has been Colin Baker, so non-ginger and not-fat has to be an improvement.

With regards to the TARDIS doors, does it make sense that you can see the outside from the inside? Wouldn't that mean that part of the inside would change shape everytime the ship transformed? What about if you left your coat out there? Would it vanish, or simply adjust itself to the new surroundings?

I loved the use of the London Eye as the transmitter. It was an extension of what Pertwee once said...it's scarier to see the Yeti in the Underground than in Tibet. Likewise, using a famous landmark was so much better than just having it be a box in some building somewhere.

Nerd note: The Doctor said that TARDIS stands for Time & Relative Dimension in Space. While this was true for the very first episode, in all subsequent explainings it was Time & Relative Dimensions in Space. Which means that Eccleston either mispoke, or the writers were being so unbelievably nerdy that my head has just melted.

("Revelation of the Daleks" was a good story. Certainly one of Baker's best, and probably one of the top ten of the 80s. A DJ who plays to the dead, who's bodies are being used as raw materials to feed Daleks? Brilliant.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the theme tune: I was talking about the bit you've labelled "3".

As for his face, he did say "it could have been worse".

And the doors... Well, the ship doesn't transform anymore. Probably the Doctor just finally resigned himself to being chameleon-circuit-less, and decorated the insides of the doors to look like the outsides.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Encouraging.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not. Not when you gotta register to read it. [Wink]

But outpostgallifrey.net is reporting a peak viewership of 10.6 million, which is pretty impressive considering their main competition didn't see a significant dropoff. Time will tell if it's just the novelty (and one hell of a promo campaign), or genuine interest that will keep this new series alive...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually registered to read Media Guardian? well I never. . . But yeah, time will tell if it sustains the interest. I suspect in the long run people will prefer to watch the pair of gurning Geordie imbeciles.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps