Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Foundation sequel: how to kill Daneel (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foundation sequel: how to kill Daneel
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I remember correctly that in one of the Killer B's books that it is implied that RDO actually HAD the idea for Psychohistory but needed a human to "Create" it and for that purpose he, basicly, caused the genetic engineering of Hari Seldon?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Effectively, yeah. Though it was the selective breeding sort of genetic engineering. He needed a human immune to all the constraints. Daneel's basically been manipulating everything for his entire life.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Um...(forgive me if i'm off base- it's been a decade since I read these) was'nt there the unresolved threat of the creepy telepahic hermaphradotic little "kid" at the end of the last Foundation book?

It's certainly implied that he's the "inhuman threat" (as I recall).

I'd say the ending is very ambiguous, you could for example see it as Fallom being humanity's last hope against any external threats (after having merged with Daneel, that is). I'm not saying that's it, it's just another possible interpretation that just occured to me.
well, if the kid and Daneel "merge" and the kid's alien (evil!) persona dominates along with Daneel's intimate knowledge of how humans operate and have been manipulated-and how to manipulate them still) then you'd have your reason to kill off Daneel right there.

Really, I got the vibe that asimov knew he'd never finish his storylines and so decided to merge everything into one biiiig story.

Stephen King did the same thing in the final Dark Tower installments and it all ended very poorly (as did the last Foundation book, obviously).

It's "Grand Finalle" seems forced and is best avoided.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps