Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Chapter 11 of The Time Machine by HG Wells

Author Topic: Chapter 11 of The Time Machine by HG Wells
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
An extract from the 11th chapter of the serial published in The New Review (May 1895) was not included in the book version, as it was thought too violent. This portion of the story was published elsewhere as The Grey Man.

The Grey Man begins with the Traveller waking up in his Time Machine after escaping the Morlocks. He finds himself in the distant future of an Earth that is unrecognizable, seeing kangaroo-like hopping creatures being attacked and eaten by a giant centipede that comes out of the ground. It is implied that these are the future forms of the Eloi and Morlocks, respectively.

-taken from wikipedia

Anybody know where I can get my hands on this cut out piece of the story? (A book or a website that may have it.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you find a source, pass it along to me: I've not read The Time Machine yet, but it's three away on my list of classics to read this year.
(I have, of course seen movie adaptations, but Wells is never faithfully translated into film).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can read the novel online at multiple locations. It's this extract that's hard to find.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall a segment like this being in the version I read. The sun was also big and read, unless that happened after this bit.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he does go further into the future, and there are monsterous crab-like things, and then, further yet, nothing alive at all except for lichen-like growths. No kangaroos, though.

The ISFDB (what can't be I*DBed these days?) has no mention of a Wells story by that name. It does list a separately published extract from the novel. So I guess you could try to track down one of the anthologies listed there and see if this is it.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, he does go further into the future, and there are monsterous crab-like things, and then, further yet, nothing alive at all except for lichen-like growths
Yeah thats the part I read in the book, but I never read anything about eloi kangaroos or morlock catepillars. The

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps