Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BG: "Kobol's Last Gleaming" part 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BG: "Kobol's Last Gleaming" part 2
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome.

Though, in retrospect, nothing was really answered at all.

I'm not sure how the government can ever regain legitimacy next season, though I guess the point is that it didn't necessarily have any to start with.

Though, OK, one thing: the big showdown between Roslin and Adama felt a little less. . . I don't know. Less something than it could have been. Like, it didn't really revolve around a legal thing, I guess. Maybe it's just me.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Frack.

I *really* was caught off guard by Apollo & Boomer's actions at the end there. If Boomer was going to do anything, I was expecting it to happen earlier.

And the inside of that Basestar really creeps me out. Reminds me of H. R. Giger's work.

As for Boomer being pregnant, that's just not right. Just to clarify, I'm not commenting on the story. I'm commenting on it's emotional effect on me. It's just... wierd.

As for Adama arresting Roslin, I think he went too far. IMO, he seriously overreacted to a relatively minor thing. I'm womdering how the rest of the fleet (and Zarick) will react to these events.

B.J.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:

As for Adama arresting Roslin, I think he went too far. IMO, he seriously overreacted to a relatively minor thing. I'm womdering how the rest of the fleet (and Zarick) will react to these events.

B.J.

Relatively minor thing? Roslin's actions totally caused a reworking of the mission. Starbuck was to fly the Cylon raider loaded with the nuke on an attack run on the Basestar. With Starbuck missing, the mission had to be re-planned. With the use of a raptor instead of a raider, the mission has a higher chance of failure.

Adama views Earth as a myth. Roslin sent Starbuck chasing after a myth. This would be like the President pulling one of Schwartzkoff's top men off a secret mission to chase after the seven cities of gold or find Atlantis.

You don't pull a valued trooper off a secret mission to chase after a myth.

Nor was it a small thing that Roslin interfered in a military matter in the first place. Once you open that door, it's hard to close. The President may be Commander in Chief, but there is a chain of command and the head of the civilian government doesn't have the authority to send military personnel off on military actions based on their personal whims.

Once the military starts being controlled by the President's personal whims, the military becomes the Presidet's personal army as opposed to the nation's army.

Although I don't see a coup being the answer to the problem.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the same time, could a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff demand our President's resignation if the Commander in Chief gave a direct order to an underling? It's unlikely the military would be given such power, otherwise it's inviting a Pinochet. It seems to me that Adama has never actually respected the "government" in the fleet, but was all right with it until it crossed him.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, it was minor. Starbuck's mission was aimed at saving a handful of people. Granted, at this juncture I doubt Galactica has any personnel they can afford to lose, but the fate of the fleet wasn't directly at risk.

Contrast this to the attack on that Cylon fuel refinery. Now in that case, the fleet really was on its last legs, had a victory not come through. And yet, in that case, it appeared that Roslin was given the ultimate decision.

quote:
The President may be Commander in Chief, but there is a chain of command and the head of the civilian government doesn't have the authority to send military personnel off on military actions based on their personal whims.
You apparently have not followed much of the news for the last three years. Snark aside, in the West, at least, civilian governmental officials really do have lots of (not always uncontroversial, to be sure) operational authority.

Anyway, that's what I meant by minor.

So I've been thinking: what happens next? Like, all the major authority figures are out of the picture now. The President is arrested, the Vice President is missing, and Adama is critically wounded. What does Tigh do? He doesn't exactly have any precedent to follow here. (Well, unless Colonial governments of the past have been more volatile than we have so far been told.) And who represents the government? The miniseries presents a very U.S.-like cabinet succession, but does Roslin even have an official cabinet? It's basically that Billy kid. Or will the Quorum appoint an emergency interim president? In that case, the front runner would seem to be Tom Zarek. Which is kind of interesting, because his claims revolved around Roslin gathering power to her, with Adama as her flunky, but now that theory has been publicly debunked. Does that help him, or hurt him, politically?

I kind of think it would be neat to see things turned around in the season premiere, with some of the civilian fleet boarding Galactica to spring Roslin. I mean, what are they going to do if Colonial One simply insists on flying into the landing bay? Shoot it down?

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I mean, what are they going to do if Colonial One simply insists on flying into the landing bay? Shoot it down?

More likely they would either a) close the flight pod doors (I assume they have some) or b) swing the flight pods in so that nothing can get in or out.

And yes, I realise I'm being flippant here.

As for what happens next, they do have a line of succession for both the military and civilian arms of the fleet - Baltar would take over as President (he was made VP, wasn't he? I last watched the series when it was on Sky One and while I have the S1 boxset, I've yet to watch beyond "33") if Roslin were incapacitated or unable to carry out the duties of the office, and Tigh is next in the chain of command aboard Galactica. Presumably if Adama is dead and Roslin removed, that would be the political makeup of the fleet.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except Baltar is stuck on Kobol still.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Questions and situations for season 2

Baltar, Tyrol, Cali and the rest of the Raptor crew are stranded on Kobol and need rescued.

Remnants of Cylon forces are still around Kobol.

Galactica Boomer is in the brig for attempted assassination on Adama. Will they discover she's a Cylon?

Adama clings to life support and Tigh is in command of the Fleet. Ellen Tigh will be ecstatic with this potential.

The civilian government is in a major shake-up. How will Zarek play this to his advantage?

Caprica Boomer has been revealed to be a Cylon. Helo and Starbuck both know. Will Starbuck bring Helo and Caprica Boomer back to Galactica? Can 3 fit in the raider? (maybe if the're really good friends...)

Once back on Galactica, will the two Boomers confront each other?

Will they keep Caprica Boomer alive for the sake of the baby?

Six showed Baltar a baby crib and said their baby was about to arrive. Was she referring to Caprica Boomer and her baby? Does that mean she knows the baby will be with the fleet/at Kobol? How does she know this? Can the Cylon units communicate over vast interstellar distances?

Cylon basestar in orbit of Kobol waiting for Galactica. Have the Cylons been herding the fleet toward Kobol?

What, exactly, will the arrow of Apollo do?

Comment about civilian governmental authorities having power over the military... One of the big reasons Vietnam turned out the way it did.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering whether the Cylons were herding the fleet for some time. They chase them mercilessly for a week, and then... stop. They blow out the fleet's water supply, within range of a convenient watering hole. They practically hand them a fuel depot. They wanted the fleet to survive and reach Kobol, that's difficult to question. The real question at this point is why?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Cylon leader is R. Daneel Olivaw.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Re: water and "Water": Boomer's programming nearly prevented her from recognizing she had found water. So I'm not sure the Cylons intended the fleet to find it.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I mean, what are they going to do if Colonial One simply insists on flying into the landing bay? Shoot it down?
It wouldn't be the first time Galactica's had to make a tough decision, remember all the impulse ships it left behind and don't forget the Olympic Carrier.

quote:
Maybe the Cylon leader is R. Daneel Olivaw.
...or Dors Venabili.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

There is, I think, a fundamental difference between sacrificing people on the battlefield and gunning down political dissidents.

But I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked that question, just genuinely curious; does Tigh (since Adama is currently in no condition to voice his opinion on the matter) believe in keeping Roslin arrested even if it requires killing people? I mean, he very well might.

Though I think the problem I mentioned earlier, over the relatively minor nature of Roslin and Adama's disagreement, sort of skews things here. Even if you take Adama's side, it just doesn't seem weighty enough to justify more extreme reactions.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manticore:
Except Baltar is stuck on Kobol still.

DAMN, that's a big embarassing memory lapse, how the hell did I forget that one? :-) Yikes...hey while my memory is being rebooted, anyone heard any of these crazy rumours about a prequel Trek show with that guy from Quantum Leap? :-)
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

Colonial One should have immediately moved to elsewhere in the fleet. The Raptors may have still found their target, but it would have attracted a lot more attention, not to mention make things a little more difficult in the process.

Or Colonial One could have kept maneuvering. Wonder how hard it would have been for the Raptors to make soft-seal on an evasive target.

Either way, something more should have been done tactically than wait to be borded. It's not like they were caught in a tractor beam and being pulled inside a Star Destroyer.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps