Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » DW: "The End of the World" [$$$] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: DW: "The End of the World" [$$$]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best demonstrated in that Davison story where the Brigadier meets himself.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, if a time-traveller can't change his own history, the Doctor couldn't have destroyed the Daleks in "Genesis of the Daleks" even if he'd tried. Because, of course, many bits of his own history at that point were already Dalek-related. But, then, his actions seem to have changed Dalek history, anyway, suggesting that some of his previous encounters with them should have happened differently, if at all. So, really, it doesn't make a great deal of sense. But perhaps that's to be expected here and there after 20-odd years.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially when "continuity" was never really as big a thing back then as it is now.

(And if we're getting into Dalek history, there's also the fact that the Doctor seems to have not heard of them in "The Mutants", but almost all suceeding episodes indicate that that would be almost impossible. Like someone today who had never heard of the Nazis. So, yeah, crazy history.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a line in one of the novels where someone points out that the whole of Dalek history is in danger of collapsing under the weight of all the pardoxes. The Doctor says that he's quite proud of that...

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would have to be possible for the Doctor to alter his past-

Everytime The Doctor teams up with a prior incarnation of himself, he'd have to forget the experience (referring to past incarnations- the most recent version would remember, as his future would not be affected by the experience, while the prior versions would all know that they survive several more incarnations, thus altering their own future by knowing they wont croak when the rubber monster o' the week attacks).

In addition to the other examples pointed out of course.

OTOH, I'm certain Dr. Who will eventually fall into the quagmire of Alternate Universes to explain away some of the contradictions.

Mabye he'll team up with the Sliders gang and SG1. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say that the Dr. was really the White Guardian all along without realizing it. After his last regeneration he bacame the White Guardian and realized that he created Gallifrey, the TimeLords and Time itself. Now there's a story.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a good one, but yes, it's technically a story. [Wink]

Really, it's not so bad, it's just that there's no where to go after it: it would be anice way to finally end the series though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
I say that the Dr. was really the White Guardian all along without realizing it.

Ah, but THEN he'd have to live down the Colin-esque fashion faux-pas of wearing a freaking BIRD on your head as part of your hair.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Everytime The Doctor teams up with a prior incarnation of himself, he'd have to forget the experience (referring to past incarnations- the most recent version would remember, as his future would not be affected by the experience, while the prior versions would all know that they survive several more incarnations, thus altering their own future by knowing they wont croak when the rubber monster o' the week attacks)."

Well, not exactly. He knows he won't be permanently dead (so, no vaporization or anything like that), but he never knows when he'll be hurt badly enough to be forced to regenerate.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Jon Pertwee seemed to know what Tom Baker looked like, even though he never met him on screen. Although "The Five Doctors" is pretty much all over the place anyway, so I wouldn't put a huge amount of faith in anything that goes on there.

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Jon Pertwee seemed to know what Tom Baker looked like, even though he never met him on screen. Although "The Five Doctors" is pretty much all over the place anyway, so I wouldn't put a huge amount of faith in anything that goes on there.

Did he know that? From what I remember of "The Five Doctors", when Pertwee's Doctor met up with Sarah Jane she made some comment about him actually being *him*. She says something along the lines like "You became all..." and then points to her teeth and her curly hair. At this point Pertwee finishes the sentence with "All teeth and curls?" so it's possible he doesn't know what his next regeneration will look like, just that it will involve teeth and curls because of the clues from his old companion.

Of course it's also possible that since all the doctors were essentially the same mind (just in different bodies) that some of his later regeneration's memories were starting to "leak" across the boundaries between regenerations.

On a final note about "The Five Doctors", I have to say I don't like the newer version with the remastered special effects...loses some of the charm.

FD

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

i've never seen that version.
When did they start updating effects on Dr. Who?

I dont think they've ever been shown here in the States.

The real question is: could the Third Doctor actually slip up and die (thus changing the timeline) if he got cocky after seeing his future selves and thinking he'd be certain to survive several more incarnations?

If his own timeline is immutable, mabye some of the previous Doctor's courage was just self-assured bluster then?

If I knew I'd survive to a healthy old age, I'd be a cocky(er) fuck today. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

One of the novels did that. The 8th Doctor bumped into the 3rd, and then time changed somehow and the 3rd Doctor ended up dying (albiet in a regenerative way). While regenerating the walls of the Tardis started to bleed in DRAMATIC FASHION.

This infected the Doctor with something called the "paradox virus" or some malarky. The Evil Guy theorised that the timeline would try and recover and that the Doctor's next few regenerations would be largely the same, but then by his 7th and 8th things would go wonky. And then somehow Ace died and then undied and McGann went funny and more malarky happened. And then stuff went.

Only some of the shows have had updated effects. Their on the DVDs, and it's been fairly random. For each DVD, the DR Who Resoration Society goes through and does what they can. In the case of some of the really old ones for which only film and not video exists, they've used complex science to clean up the images so they look brand new, rather than the murky mess they've become. For a few others they've also put in some new effects.

For the 5 Doctors, the changes involved altering the Scary Black Triangle into a transparent wobbly thingie, changing the bit at the end so that Tom Baker ends up back on the barge rather than in a random alleyway, and er, some other stuff.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I am laughing my balls off at the notion of the TARDIS' walls bleeding.
Was Stephen King writing that novel?
And here I though Trek had some bad ideas pass through the novels...

I can see the need to update some SFX- particularly the Autons and the first appearance of the Sontarians (as their heads deflated like the ballons they were, once they died).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

If I knew I'd survive to a healthy old age, I'd be a cocky(er) fuck today. [Wink]

Is that even POSSIBLE!?!?!?!?!
[Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps