Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » DW: "World War III" $poilers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DW: "World War III" $poilers
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
(Also also but, the 7th Doctor was 953 at the start of his "life", so the 9th is rounding. Incorrectly. Plus, this means we have to through away pretty much all the novels for both McCoy AND McGann.)

Didn't the 9th Doctor say something to Rose like "900 years of time and space and I've never been slapped" or something like that? Might imply that he has been out travelling for that long, which gives enough leeway for his age to be considerably higher...of course if I've misremembered the line that all goes out the window, but it's a possibility.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sixth Doctor once emphatically states to Peri that he's a nine hundred year-old time lord. In "Time and the Rani", the seventh Doctor states his age as 953. Between the zillions of audio and book adventures the seventh and eighth Doctors had, most fans like to place the *actual* age of our hero at somewhere between 1100 and 1200 years old. RTD has already said "whoops" about the Doctor's age, though. It could be 900 Eraktadonion years, which are 1.25 Earth years, for all we know.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall reading somewhere that McGann's Doctor was placed at around 1100 years old, so that would tie in. As I say though it is possible the line in "World War III" just refers to the amount of time he has spent travelling and not his actual age, which allows for the line to stand and not clash with estimates of his age.

Besides, Eraktadonion years are 1.27 Earth years, come on, let's at least try to keep it accurate! ;-)

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lines in AoL are roughly:
Doc9: 900 years of travelling and I've been slapped by someone's mother
Rose: Did you say 900 years?
Doc9: That's my age

So whilst the firt line is ambiguous the latter line is rather clearer.

Doc2 was 450
Doc3 spoke about having thousands of years of experience
Doc4 was about 750
Doc6 was 900
Doc7 was 953

There are gaps where a lot of years could clock up:

Between Doc2 and Doc3. Yes really. There's a fan theory that Doc2 worked for the Timelords (probably the CIA) for sometime after The War Games and only later got regenerated. This would explain how Doc2 knew about events at the end of The War Games in the The Five Doctors, and why he looked so much older and was running errands for the Timelords in The Two Doctors.

Doc3: after he got the TARDIS working again he could easily have spent time adventuring on his own, always returning to UNIT HQ to check up on Jo and the Brig.

Doc4: was on his own or travelling with non-human companions several times so lots of room for extra years here.

Doc5: Unless Nyssa or Turlough had a longer than human lifespan there's no gaps here.

Doc6: A nice big gap after Trial of a Timelord. In the books he returns Mel to the proper place in her timeline. Travels on his own and with non-canon companions and then meets Mel for the 'first' time and later regenerates.

Doc7 and Doc8 of course have huge gaps (filled by many novels and auidos, which themselves have gaps).

But how does all this get back to 900 in AoL? Well... We know from Battlefield that the Doctor is Merlin. And Merlin ages backwards...

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exact lines from "Aliens of London":

D: "Nine hundred years of time and space, and I've never been slapped by someone's mother."
R: "When you say 'nine hundred years'...?"
D: "That's my age."
R: "You're nine hundred years old?"
D: "Yeah."

I suppose it could be argued that 900 years is the approximate amount of time he's been travelling, and it was just easier for him to say "age". Of course, we also know that the fourth Doctor and Romana both lied about their ages from time to time. Maybe he just doesn't want people to know he's past the big one-zero-zero-zero.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with that. I'm hesitant to use the "he could be talkign about Galifreyan years or whatnot" excuse because that's a far too easy way to explain everything. Besides, in Doctor Who terms are generally human terms unless otherwise explained.

If RTD has already said "oops", I can see them putting in a line where he admits his real age in a leter episode. Kinda like what hapened with the 4th Doctor, really.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps