Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » DW: "Dalek" SPOILERS (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: DW: "Dalek" SPOILERS
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
One Dalek "fell through time" and ended up on Earth somewhere around 2012,

Actually, her-off-stargate (BTW did you know she's actually from NZ so her American accent here and her English accent in SG are equally fake?) said that it had been on Earth for around fifty years.

2012 - 50 = 1962 and DW started in 1963. Coincidence?

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right after the theme song, they showed a helicopter landing, and a voice announced "Bad Wolf 1 descending". Obviously this wolf thing is either really important, or they just really can't get enough of it.
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Episode 12 is called "Bad Wolf" so take a guess...

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, they finally named it, eh?
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Right after the theme song, they showed a helicopter landing, and a voice announced "Bad Wolf 1 descending". Obviously this wolf thing is either really important, or they just really can't get enough of it.

That helicopter was the old Blue Thunder, also used in the miniseries Amerika. Has it been seen in any other production in between?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's mentioned that the Dalek crashed from space in 1962 or thereabouts. Davros and pals were operating there by 1963 for the events of "Rememberance of the Daleks", but this is unrelated to that.

Best episode yet! They took a Dalek and humanized it, but with an end that was ultimately satisfying anyway. Best scene: when the Doctor is locked in for the big revelation of the Dalek (pun intended). Best acting out of Eccleston so far! We've never seen any Doctor so scared, so morbidly pleasured, or so seething with hatred. Rock on. Why the hell is this guy leaving.

Mark

PS - Anna Louise Plowman, who captured my heart in a million Vancouver roles over the past few years, does her job well yet again. But ironically enough, this is the first time we hear her with an American accent, no?

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting slightly worried about some of the in-jokes. The Doctor looking at the museum and lamenting that all his alies and adversaries are now musuem exibits (I would't be surprised if the Cyberman mask was from a Doctor Who convention), the Doctor feeling "old", laughing at the Dalek who can't go up stairs, calling them pepperpots... an odd nudge here or there is okay, but this is in danger of becoming overly fanwankish.

Still, wasn't it nice to have a Dalek story without Davros. Haven't had one in about 30 years. Plus, they did a convincing job of making the Dalek threatening and scary, just simply by having it's "waist" turn and putting a blue light in it's eye. It still moved slowly, but here it was the slow movement of inevitability...the Dalek would find you and kill you, it was just a matter of time.

And they even made the sucker part look good.

(So, if this "Time War" is unrelated to the books, why's it there? I mean, if they're going to kill off the Daleks and the Time Lords then why has it been done off screen?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having never seen the older versions of Dr. Who, I didn't know anything about the little Dalek dude and I enjoyed the little alien story. Good episode, and my favorite so far.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Identity Crisis:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
One Dalek "fell through time" and ended up on Earth somewhere around 2012,

Actually, her-off-stargate (BTW did you know she's actually from NZ so her American accent here and her English accent in SG are equally fake?) said that it had been on Earth for around fifty years.

2012 - 50 = 1962 and DW started in 1963. Coincidence?

Ah, I remembered her saying the Dalek had been moving from collection to collection for a while, but I didn't realise it had been fifty years.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

(So, if this 'Time War' is unrelated to the books, why's it there? I mean, if they're going to kill off the Daleks and the Time Lords then why has it been done off screen?)"

I think it's one of those things we're supposed to learn more and more about throughout the season.

Besides, a show about the Doctor as a soldier in a Time War would have been roundly denounced by the fans. The show has to be about the Doctor just gallavanting about with a human and getting into (and out of) trouble.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do agree with that. But then why kill of the Time Lords at all? They're a pretty good source of story material.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they killed them off to give the Doctor a sense of vulnerability and isolation - which provides a link with Rose as they're both cut off from their familiar surroundings and respective worlds (just in different ways - Rose by distance, the Doctor by death). Also it shows that the Time Lords - and by extension the Doctor - are not some all powerful force that will always be there. They die - and they don't always come back with a new face. Something that I think was necessary to make the new series feel a little more weighty and relevant, in these days of audiences being used to things like the BSG remake and other such drama.

However, I still think they will pull some kind of trick with the Time Lords and the series will, at one point, show Gallifrey undergoing something of a restoration. There are enough reasons that can be conjured up for the Doctor not being able to sense other Time Lords (perhaps they don't want to be found and are deliberately not showing up in the Doctor's spider sense?) to allow for some survivors to appear at a later date.

All in all I have to say I'm enjoying the new show. I never thought I would have felt sympathy for a Dalek. Or been scared by one for that matter.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The real question about the destruction of the Time Lords is: how did it happen? Were they killed in the actual fighting (which is what it sounds like from the "ten million ships on fire ... they burned with you" dialogue)? If so, and if the Doctor is right in saying there aren't any left anywhere, it would suggest that all the living Time Lords were involved in the battle. Does that mean the Master and the Rani were both there? And the Doctor's hermit friend whose name I don't feel like looking up?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the timelords - if they all got killed - couldn't most of them just regenerate again or does there have to be specific circumstances to allow a regeneration?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, presumably, there has to be a body. Which isn't likely, if you're on an exploding spaceship. And, even if your body is fairly intact, you probably have to be in a survivable environment. If you're floating in space, you could regenerate, but your new body would just immediately die in the vacuum.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps