Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Batman Begins...$$$$$$spoilers (The redemption of a franchise) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Batman Begins...$$$$$$spoilers (The redemption of a franchise)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still haven't seen Batman Begins yet. Hell, I still haven't seen Star Wars: Episode III - The Revenge of the Sith yet, either (tomorrow is the big day for that movie). In case anyone's interested, IMDb News is saying that Katie Holmes is definitely out for the sequel. It was said that "... the next romantic interest will be a much stronger actress."

The sequel will definitely include the Joker, according to the same site. Interestingly enough, there seems to be support for Mark Hamill taking on the role of the Joker. He's the voice actor for the Joker in Bruce Trimm animated DC Universe, and I think he does a great job voicing the Joker. I just don't know if I see him actually playing the Joker, though.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Katie Holmes just fine, really. I mean, I didn't feel like much of the movie was really resting on her, for one thing.

Christian Bale's Batman voice was maybe a little too four-packs-a-day.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wondered why he used his "batman voice" when confronting Raas....after all, he speaks in a normal tone in the mansion when they talk to each other.

Mabye the costume uses a voice filter i the mask (like Iron Man's helmet).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

God of your Universe
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for God of your Universe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I'm in the minority but I think Nicholson was poorly cast as The Joker.

I'm pretty sure Nicholson was Two-Face. And Jim Carrey played Joker in the movie.

*I'll shut-up now*

--------------------
My friend played russian roulette with a shotgun last night. I found him this morning. Its sad. I think I'm going to follow in his footsteps....
-le_2004@hotmail.com

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buh? Jack Nicholson played the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman. Jim Carrey played the Riddler in Batman Forever, which also featured Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim carrey was an EXTREMELY poor choice for the intelectual Riddler.

Tommy Lee Jones looked right as Two face (though if hey'd played him tragically it woud have been soo much better.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is he so wouldn't have fit in, in Forever if he'd played the tragic character, the whole tone of that movie was comedy, in that respect I think the deranged psychopath portrayal Tommy Lee Jones did was the best that could be done with an abominable script, not to mention TeH NiplpeS!!!11 on the Batsuit. Carrey was doing okay until he actually became the Riddler, then it all turned into a bad Joker impersonation.

P.S. On Nicholson, his Joker was basically a rip-off of the Two-Face creation story - horrible chemical burns leave him disfigured and psycopathic with a burning hatred for a guy who has a chiropteran fetish.

P.P.S. Val Kilmer: Second. Worst. Batman. Ever.

P.P.P.S. George Clooney: Worst. Batman. Ever.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I liked Katie Holmes just fine, really. I mean, I didn't feel like much of the movie was really resting on her, for one thing.
That was one of the great things about Batman Begins: the damsel in distress was not the primary driving force of the movie, nor did it ever seem that Batman's feelings for her ever overwhelmed his major personality trait. Batman should be bent mostly on revenge and the punishment of evil, not on saving his love interest. That he never really got the girl in the end, and that he was okay with it, was an excellent touch and true to the character. Either way, I think Holmes' character redeemed herself when she tazered the Scarecrow in the face.

quote:
I wondered why he used his "batman voice" when confronting Raas....after all, he speaks in a normal tone in the mansion when they talk to each other.
I think the voice is simply part of the whole Batman persona. It likely that he's so fully immersed himself into the part that, even when speaking with those he knows, he still uses the voice he invented for the character. By using the line Holmes' character said to Wayne earlier, he clearly meant for her recognize him, but he still didn't use Wayne's voice.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw it today and loved it. Mostly because it wasn't actually a Batman movie, it was a Bruce Wayne movie, which makes it all the more interesting for me. Some great action pieces that didn't overwhelm the plot and...The Car...gotta love it! I dare anyone to truthfully say they don't want one. ;-)

Other random things of note; I like how they paid more attention to Bruce's motivation than in previous outings, especially his aversion to guns.
The villans were well handled, mostly because their interactions actually made some sense, unlike the previous movies. I'm especially impressed with Scarecrow, since he's not an easy character to pull off. Indeed if I recall the Bruce Timm animated series went through several design revisions and one major character change (finally being voiced by Jeffrey Combs.)

It's a small detail but I noticed that Gordon still has a wife at this point and I'm sure I noticed a certain (very young) future Batgirl at his house, red hair and all.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah the Gordon "family scene" was a nice touch.
With this cast and director, I'd love to see them faithfully introduce Robin.

Hell, if they wanted a gritty realistic Robin, they could skip Dick Grayson completely and use Tim Drake instead.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

God of your Universe
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for God of your Universe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Buh? Jack Nicholson played the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman. Jim Carrey played the Riddler in Batman Forever, which also featured Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face.

Ahhh yeah ur right, got confused, please forgive my noobness [Embarrassed]

--------------------
My friend played russian roulette with a shotgun last night. I found him this morning. Its sad. I think I'm going to follow in his footsteps....
-le_2004@hotmail.com

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
The Penguin comment too. As the character in the film really didn't bare much of a resemblence to the Penguin of any other format.

I thought that the character in the film was a vast improvement over the comic book character. Nervertheless, he still sucked.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I thought GOrdon's crooked partner looked a lot like harvey Bullock but (thankfully) that was not the case.

Flass was Gordon's cooked partner from Batman: Year One. However, he was more of buff ex-marine than a Bullock-like slob in the books.
Albertus
Member # 1635

- posted      Profile for Albertus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, that all your comments make sense.

But I rememeber, as a small 7 or 8 yo boy. watching the original serials in the ABC movie chain in London. Batman had a terrible costume and an even worse 'batmobile'. It was an old dust-kicked Packard, just like every other car, except it was faster. But, he inspired me because he wasn't a 'super hero'.

No powers, even though I didn't understand, psychology and science, I understood what he was trying to do.

Batman will never die, even if the character does. [Big Grin]

Albertus

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early Batmobiles in the comics were just a popular car of the day with an extra fin or two, I believe.

http://www.batmobilehistory.com/index.html

Albertus
Member # 1635

- posted      Profile for Albertus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The early comics, and the Saturday Morning films just showed a plain, old car.

I think it was in the 60's, with the advent of the TV Batman,that the Batmoible came into existence.

Albertus

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.