Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x10 - "Pegasus" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: BSG 2x10 - "Pegasus"
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More caps of Pegasus can be seen here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=5041652&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

One thing that wasn't immediately apparent is that Pegasus has FOUR landing bays, stacked over and under, two per side. Overall though, it seems that Pegasus is an entirely different design than Galactica, more akin to a Consitution-Excelsior sort of difference than a Constitution to a Connie-refit.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I've wondered about Galactica is how many hanger bays she has. I mean, the two we know about, one each under the landing strip (does anyone else thing Sharon MK II's cell is in the unused hanger?), but since the ship does utilize elevators to bring the fighters to the hanger deck, there's no reason Galactica couldn't have TWO hanger decks on each pod, one under the other.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I see I'm not the only one who thought the Pegasus looks more like the old Galactica than the new one does. Neither am I the only one wishing January was already here...

As for why Cain's crew seems to be composed mostly of jerks, well, maybe she had all the decent ones executed on charges of attempted mutiny or something... from the story about the X.O., she's capable of something like that, and it would have left only the loyal fanatics and those who don't dare contradict her. Certainly, this Admiral Cain is very different from the Commander Cain in the original...

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a better comparison might be the difference between a Forrestal and a Nimitz class aircraft carrier. They're both designed for the exact same job, but the Nimitz is newer with recent technology and is more capable. I don't think it could be said that the proposals for the Connie and Excelsior have the exact same requirements.

B.J.

machf
Member # 1233

Hmmm... now that you mention that, I wonder if the difference between both battlestars also goes to the power plant (like the difference between conventional and nuclear in the case of those carriers), explaining why Galactica had to raid that depot for fuel while Pegasus may not have needed it...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Galactica has 4 big engine pod-thingies while Pegasus has 8 little ones... So maybe there's something different about the drive systems.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I guess the old vs. new aircraft carrier is more apt a comparison... They're both battlestars, and serve (served) as the primary instruments of war at their peaks. OTOH, Connie and Galaxy were the primary instruments of exploration, but they weren't really in service simultaneously... Pegasus is hardly a spankin' new ship though, if she was in drydock undergoing SLEP work.

You know, I'm sorta curious if anyone's done a fan CG Galactica with all her armor intact. Would be fun to see her in her prime.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that (a lack of armor) brought up in the miniseries? Or is it, uh, extra-textual?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the reason Galactica had to raid the depot is that the fleet was low on fuel -- for all we know, Galactica still had three-quarters of a tank.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it a lack of fuel for the Vipers that was the real concern?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Actually, I think the fleet only had enough gas for two more FTL jumps. I think YOU might be thinking of one of the early 3rd season episodes where the Tillium ships are refusing to refuel Galactica and Lee notes to his pilots that fighter ops might be limited for awhile.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he's thinking of one of the early 3rd season episodes, I really need to find out his sources...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Er. Sorry, I meant to say the 3rd episode of the current season.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

machf
Member # 1233

Though supposedly, one of the upcoming episodes deals with a Tyllium ship being sabotaged and the whole fleet having to wait until it's repaired before being able to jump... but that's late 2nd season, not early 3rd.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Let me be more specific.

In the first season's "Hand of God", the fleet needed Tillium because they were down to 5% fuel reserves -- it's stated enough fuel was left to make two FTL jumps, then they were dead ducks.

In one of the early episodes of this season, Tillium refueling ships refuse to resupply Galactica until the Civillian Government is restored. Lee Adama mentions to his pilots to watch their fuel expendetures because no one knows when they'll be getting topped off.

When I said "one of the early 3rd season episodes", I meant to say "one of the early 2nd season episodes."

Okay, everyone?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.