Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x10 - "Pegasus" (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: BSG 2x10 - "Pegasus"
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the commentary for "You Can't Go Home Again" in the first season, Ronald Moore and David Eick mention that they wish they could have more scenes of Starbuck and Commander Adama and perhaps having them interact on a more equal level.

At which point, they mention that might happen if they end up making her the CEO of...and they basically stop themselves at this point.

However, I ask you, what possible candidates could there be for her to take command?

Only one springs to mind: the Pegasus.

At the point they recorded the commentaries, they had just finished filming "Final Cut." I would like to think they have things more mapped out than that, to be openly discussing the possibility of major plot lines in the timeline that would be necessary. Unfortunately, from all of the commentaries, I get the distinct impression that RDM&Co. is making this up largely as they go along.

So, it's entirely possible that at this point in the production cycle, they're still deciding what the second part of "Pegasus" is going to be, possibly even as I write this, considering they still have several months until air.

Edit: David Eick.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another possibility is for Tigh to be given command of Pegasus (ack!) with Starbuck as exec on Galactica.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nahh, Adama knows that Tigh can't command on his own, he would never put Tigh in that position and Tigh would never take it.

Although, I am now further intrigued by the dialogue between Adama and Starbuck in "Hand of God" in which the Commander sort-of breaks Starbuck into the habit of standing on the sidelines and watching it all. You get a definite sense of grooming for command as he basically tells her to "get used to it."

I had assumed that with the foreshadowing of this big-bad shadow Cylon ship, that the plot will eventually take the same turn as the original "Pegasus" plotline, with Cain and the Pegasus running a suicide mission to save the rest of the fleet. Now, however, other possibilities float into the mind.

Of course, assuming that any substantial fraction of the Pegasus officer corps survives, one would wonder why they wouldn't be given command instead of a habitually insubordinate lieutenant.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Adama's comments could have been along the lines of, "If you knee doesn't heal, you'll be planning missions like this from now on."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Promoting your best pilots out of the cockpit is probably not an ideal solution to your pilot shortage problem.

Where is there a commentary thingy for that episode, by the way? They don't have it listed (or not anymore), and I haven't been bothering to save them from week to week.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's still here on their podcast page as usual. Together with the one for episode 209, which hadn't been posted previously...

Oh, and just to throw more wood into the fire: the first spoilers for the second part of the season mention "newly promoted Admiral William Adama"...

Gentlemen, start speculating - we have some 10 weeks to go...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean the episode OnToMars mentioned.

Also, that maybe could have used more spoiler protection.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Seriously. I don't mean to be a whiner, but please can we please not talk about things that haven't occured on the series yet. Or put it in a separate thread. I had the arrival of the Pegasus and even Michelle Forbes spoiled for me and now this. I don't like it.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the proper chain of command? Cain should be answering to Roslyn, yet she isn't. Cain was the first to break the chain of command, yet she wasn't called onto the carpet for it.

Roslyn noted that the first priority should have been the fleet, yet she didn't step in and take control.

I thought about this the moment Cain said she was on "detached service." Detached from what? The Colonies are destroyed and she's with the only surviving representatives (that she knows of and ignoring the gurellias on the Colonies). She was no longer detached.

I don't see the Pegasus surviving. It's a shame too. I think they could have had some really good episodes but I think having two surviving Battlestars kinda mucks up the works. It deviates more from the original and it gives the Fleet more teeth. Lessens the threat of survivial.

No, the Pegasus is going to be destroyed or "disappear" like TOS. Cain is going to be heralded as a hero or martyr.

Oh, I wouldn't put it past Adama to put Tigh in command of the Pegasus. Adama seems reluctant to remove poorly performing officers. No court will be conveined for the Gideon massacre. No inquiry. Nothing. It's all going to be forgiven and forgotten. He is even allowing an officer who pulled a gun on Colonial officers to continue in the role as CAG (well, until Cain reassigned him).

An interesting plot line could have revolved around Tom Zarek's reaction to the Pegasus arrival. After all, he's the one who is fond of controlling the guns.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading the bit about Zarak, I immediately thought that she could come from the same Colony as him, and have known him in her idealistic youth. But that's the plot of the B5 ep "Spider in the Web."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

OnToMars
Member # 621

I agree on the spoiler point. It's one thing to speculate wildly without actually using sources or having any basis in actual evidence but it's another thing entirely to run around actually talking about with some certainty.

(Phrased awkwardly purposely for the sake of irony)

The episode in question is "You Can't Go Home Again," where Starbuck crashes on the planet and captures the Cylon raider to get home. The commentary, however, is not the podcast. The first several episodes with commentary are more traditional with David Eick, RDM, and a third person whose name escapes me at the moment recording commentary specifically for the DVD set. "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" is the first episode there is a podcast, at which point the DVD commentary changes to that.

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Oh, I wouldn't put it past Adama to put Tigh in command of the Pegasus. Adama seems reluctant to remove poorly performing officers. No court will be conveined for the Gideon massacre. No inquiry. Nothing. It's all going to be forgiven and forgotten. He is even allowing an officer who pulled a gun on Colonial officers to continue in the role as CAG (well, until Cain reassigned him).

I think that's a bit harsh on Adama - I think perhaps that he would prosecute and remove these people in ordinary circumstances, but he knows that these aren't ordinary circumstances and he can't, so he just gets on with it. If he prosecuted and jailed Lee, what would be the benefit to society? Justice would have been done yes, but a fleet that needs defending would have been down one fighter pilot. Same with Tigh: they would be down an knowledgeable combat officer with years of tactical experience under his belt. Justice is fine and dandy when you have a robust society operating, but when you're down to the last dregs and you have people who cannot be replaced and are absolutely essential, then you have to be a little more pragmatic.

The bind Adama is in (and the colonial society as a whole) is that with under 50,000 people left, everyone is essential. Zarek's prisoners got jobs to do, and they have precious few trained military officers as it is without slamming the ones they do have in the brig. It's necessity, not nepotism, that drives Adama sometimes.

Maybe if/when they ever reach a safe haven, there could be some accounting for actions taken in the flight from the Cylons...might be interesting. Something I would like to have seen on DS9 and Voyager but never did - Sisko being called to account for his action in "In the Pale Moonlight" or someone, ANYONE at the end of Voyager to say "Hang on, aren't half of you lot wanted criminals?" [Wink]

FD

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not bring the Maquis into it. In my opinion the whole idea was wasted and misused right from its inception as a B-story for The Boy. But to play devil's advocate a minute, what would be the point in treating them as criminals? Whatever crimes they commited were seven years in the past, and it's even possible that many of the Maquis' actions that the Federation might take issue with - those ones that led to a de-stabilisation in the Cardassian regime, that led Dukat to seek the aid of the Dominion, that led to the Dominion War - took place after Chakotay & Co. were taken out of play. In the meantime they've become a credit to the Federation (barring the odd hypnosis-induced takeover attempt, the Cardassian mole, her traitorous buttboy, and Wormtongue). I'm not sure if any of the Maquis would be offered permanent commissions in Starfleet upon their return (or even if they'd accept them), but I think overall that their good publicity value would checkmate any attempts by any by-the-book overly-legalistic Starfleet assholes (of which we've seen many, many examples) to charge them.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

OnToMars
Member # 621

quote:
I think that's a bit harsh on Adama - I think perhaps that he would prosecute and remove these people in ordinary circumstances, but he knows that these aren't ordinary circumstances and he can't, so he just gets on with it. If he prosecuted and jailed Lee, what would be the benefit to society? Justice would have been done yes, but a fleet that needs defending would have been down one fighter pilot. Same with Tigh: they would be down an knowledgeable combat officer with years of tactical experience under his belt. Justice is fine and dandy when you have a robust society operating, but when you're down to the last dregs and you have people who cannot be replaced and are absolutely essential, then you have to be a little more pragmatic.
That's clearly not the intention though. The idea is that Adama is a loose commander and was well before the attack. Tigh and Starbuck were drunk and fist-happy, respectively well before the Colonies were wiped out. Adama let it go then because the ship itself was on her way out and he knew that the likelyhood of Galactica facing any real, military combat situation was highly unlikely.

Now, on the otherhand, he's faced with the situation you described. But make no mistake, Adama has these imperfect people because of the way he ran things before the Attack.

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are they doing this to us?

"Hello, it seems that we've accidentaly switched two of your battlestars - the one you named Pegasus is actually Galactica and ivce-versa"

In other words, yes, I'm in "Pegasus looks more like original Galacticathan new Galactica herself" camp [Smile]

And yes, I can't wait to see conclusion of this episode. Let's all run fast in one direction, maybe whole Earth will start spinning faster [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps