Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x11 Resurrection Ship Pt. I $$$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: BSG 2x11 Resurrection Ship Pt. I $$$$
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's any implication, in the episode, that the ship is the only way for every Cylon to reincarnate. Just the ones in the fleet, who are too far away to make use of the usual channels, whatever those might be. (Perhaps the Cylons went easy on those cities on Caprica out of concern for the Colonial broadband network.)

Another thought: does the resurrection ship (and doesn't Cain at one point refer to it simply as "the Resurrection"?) have every Cylon replicant design? Because if that's the case, careful examination of those reconaissance photos might unmask all of their infiltrators. Really, they ought to try and capture it, if they can.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The additional recon photos and battle damage assessments should show decent images of the chambers. I was kind of surprised that they didn't send the Blackbird out for a second run to get those images.

Capturing it may not be a good idea either, look what a small group did on the BSG, let alone a ship like that fighting for the survival of their memory banks.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"We don't even know if the raiders are sentient, much less being resurrected."
I seem to remember Boomer MkI referring to the captured Raider as being like a horse. I know she didn't realize she was a Cylon yet, but her programming was beginning to bleed through. So I would guess that the Raiders wouldn't need to be resurrected, as it's not a big loss.

B.J.

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the President came to a logical conclusion really, and she was powerless to take action such as handing the fleet over to Adama, she mentioned before that Cain wasn't returning any of her communications, so I think she knows if she were to show her hand and try and remove Cain by normal means, she'd be the next to go. And it was reported to her that the Pegasus had a civilian fleet that got it, and that Cain possibly ordered her XO put to death on the bridge.... Sometimes you need to just set forth a moral lesson, take the lady's call or you shall die.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cain made her disdain for Roz quite apparent when her and Adama first met and she said "the Secretary of Education? Is that the best you could do?" or something to that effect.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she were ordered to stand down I wonder how many of her crew would actually stand up for her. I think that will be her down fall next week.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But of course we all know that next week Cain will be killed by Gina. Naturally.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To my chagrin, intelligence gathering does not seem to be much of a priority or skill for the colonials. So I was glad to see them actually doing a little. But like Simon, I too wondered about the possiblilities of uncovering the identities of the remaining human Cylon models (as well as testing the veracity of the 12 models assumption). But then I remembered that it's a TV show and if we knew who all the Cylons were it just couldn't be as interesting (could it?) and so that won't happen. If the mission is a success (and to an alarming degree everyone seems to be assuming it will be) they will destroy the Resurrection Ship.

I found Tricia Helfer's (capably assisted by James Callis) performance as the tortured Six in the previous episode riveting. Less so here. I didn't really buy that she just wanted to die. Although, I suppose it did cement the whole Cylon spirituality thing and give us the name/purpose of the heretofore mystery ship. When she pounced on Baltar, I felt like we were getting somewhere. But then plot.

As before I do feel like we're really getting lopsided on the whole Cain/Pegasus is/are a bad-guy/s, therefore-ok-to-shoot thing (did Cain really need to kick the now-fed yet semi-catatonic Six). Again I do hope that possibly via some noble sacrifice (or perhaps more excitingly through some epiphanic change of heart) Cain et al will have an opportunity to redeem themselves soon. As appealing as a mideseason name change of the series to "Battlestars Galactica and Pegasus", and as much potential as that story holds for me, I'm afraid even Ron Moore isn't that cool.

Roslin's snap (albeit brutal) decision seemed completely in line with a character who has faced some crushing descisions (the non-FTL ships, Tom Zarek, Kobol, Leoban Mk2, military coup, etc.). Of course it helps to have Mary McDonnell to sell it. Amazing, her.

As for the Cain/Adama assassination-off: I was very impressed at the parallel structure of those scenes and am fast coming to the conclusion that this show is just incredible at cliff-hangers. I did find it curious that Cain's order was to "terminate Commander Adama's command", where Adama used the somewhat less formal "shoot her in the face."

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Adama knows all too well that you can recover from a gunshot in the chest. I guess he didn't want to give Cain that chance.

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adama isn't hiding behind euphemisms and the gloss of military officialness they give, is the real importance there, I'd say. He's under no impression that his order is right, merely that it is necessary. (Or at least he has come to believe it is necessary.)
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cain's order was to "terminate Commander Adama's command"
Starting with Adama. Everyone's left that part out. Obviously Cain feels it will be necessary to kill other Galactica personnel.

Adama, on the other hand, is specifically targeting one person, and using his trained assassin/sniper to do the job.

I regret just a bit the way the situation has played out. Proper channels and proceedures were not followed in the decision to remove Cain froom her command. At the very least an inquiry board should be formed to investigate the accusations leveled against her from stripping/abandoning civilians and ordering the massacre of other civilians to allowing and condoning the rape of a prisoner.

Further, Cain has willfully shown disregard for the duely elected President of the Colonies. She has failed to recognize her "Commander in Chief."

And this is what led to Roslyn's decision, along with her rapidly advancing cancer. Cain would never have consented to a trial. Cain would never have yielded to Roslyn's authority. Roslyn didn't have time to drag it out before she dies.

So she "cut through the crap" and came to the only conclusion that would work. Then she had to talk Adama into it.

Aside: The wipe board on Colonial One had the same survivor number displayed in the opening credits. Nice touch to continuity.

It would have been nice to see a season (or even the rest of the series) feature BOTH Battlestars. Of course, that could never happen, even from a budget standpoint.

Still would have been cool.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

They don't have time for an inquiry board. Cain is crazy and better-armed.

One thing I saw someone bring up elsewhere: As of "Kobol's Last Gleaming" Roslin had her own non-military security team, and Cain insisted that Adama and herself go alone to Colonial One. So why not detain the admiral after the meeting? Sure, it might be illegal and likely to antagonize the Pegasus crew, but so is an assassination, and surely to greater degrees.

Speaking of antagonists, what is Starbuck supposed to do after she kills Cain? Adama seems to have modeled the operation on his own brush with death; has he forgotten what became of his would-be assassin?

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I wanted to bring out earlier but forgot...

In either the Mini or early in the first season Adama and Roslin (I keep thinking Roselyn...) were discussing who should be in charge and who should protect the fleet.

Adama was adamant (pun!) that there should be a civilian police force. His reasoning was that the military is responsible for protecting civilians from enemies. Police are responsible for maintaining order among the civilians. If/when the military is placed in the role of police, then the civilians become the enemy.

Adama didn't want that. It appears, though, that Cain is more than willing to follow that line of thinking.

No, they don't have time for a board. Nor would Cain submit.

I've wondered about that with Starbuck too. She's liable to be shot in response to attacking Cain. Of course, Boomer got away with it initially.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose Adama may just be ignoring what will have to happen after, crossing that bridge when they come to it. He's already forcing himself to do something which goes against his constitution. If that's the case, I have no problem with when it plays out and somebody saying, "Well, now what do we do?" and Adama shrugging.

I don't have a problem with the Colonials being unable to determine any of the other Cylon models that might have been on the Ressurection ship. I do have a problem with the fact that none of them mentioned why they couldn't or even seemed to have the thought occur to them.

Also, even though Adama had that big speech about the military protecting the civilians and police and whatever, we have yet to see any instance of civilian police. And especially considering that the likelyhood of there being a police ship in the RTF is virtually nil, how does that setup work?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, where did Roslin's security team come from? They weren't around prior to the attack, or at least were never seen. We can only presume they were recruited from the general public. The same would hold true for a police force, I'd think. The president or the Quorum select someone to run a reconstituted Colonial department of justice, and they go from there.

I wish we saw more day in the life stuff from the rest of the fleet.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.