Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Never Made (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Never Made
Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picked this link up from Slashdot. Thought it was fairly humorous and worth a post.

Personally, I couldn't agree more with Snowcrash and H2G2. The first time I read Snowcrash, I couldn't stop thinking "This would make the coolest action film ever". I mean, it's got a gun fight between one bloke and an Aircraft Carrier.

And don't get me started on the abomination that was the H2G2 movie. I'll stick with my videos of the BBC series thankyousoverymuch.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo to those, too. I'll stick with the books.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what was a crappy movie? Battlefeild Earth. God damn that sucked! It was a complete insult to the book. They put less than half the book in the movie. Book = Awesome / Movie = CRAP!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80 after smoking a bowl of Gerbil Shit:
You know what was a crappy movie? Battlefield Earth. God damn that sucked! It was a complete insult to the book. They put less than half the book in the movie. Book = Awesome / Movie = CRAP!

please. Don't smoke Gerbil Shit. It rots your fucking Mind~!

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hitchhiker's Guide film was very well cast, though.

And while I love Gilliam, I can't imagine him making a film out of Snow Crash. It doesn't seem like his thing at all.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed- and it seems that Gilliam is only at top form when being relentlessly depressing.

I'd like to see a good movie of Piers Anthony's On a Pale Horse.
Fuck all of the sequels though.

Of course, while it's an impossibility, I'd really REALLY love to see someone do a faithful and (above all else) scary H.P. Lovecraft movie.
Everything we've seen has....well...sucked.
Seriously- At the Mountains of Madness could be both terrifying, suspenseful and inteligent at the same time.

Who directed From Hell?
That guy could pull it off (and it really has to be period specific to work well.
The whole "it happened waay back then" aspect would not matter at the movie's end, as (for those not familliar with Lovecraft's works) the protaganist is usually horribly killed at the end.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall Dagon being not so bad, though I may be looking back through the soft filter of a one-time viewing. But, good God man, From Hell? What a great TURD of a film! Atmospheric, yes, but having very little whatsoever to do with history! (Besides, we all know that it was really Redjac who did it! [Wink] )

I wonder when they're gonna get around to making a Dragonriders of Pern film. Apparently, there have been several proposals and development projects over the years, but so far none has come to fruition.

A Kzin movie would be cool as well, though I'm none too anxious for further reason to disregard the animated Star Trek's "The Slaver Weapon."

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I seem to recall Dagon being not so bad, though I may be looking back through the soft filter of a one-time viewing. But, good God man, From Hell? What a great TURD of a film! Atmospheric, yes, but having very little whatsoever to do with history!

Well, it's the gritty period setting you'd want for the squalor in some of Lovecraft's tales.

Dagon was....allright (hot babes at least) but it slid into slapstick at points and never really seemed more than an over-lit college film.

I bought it- it's not terrible.
The best "lovecraftian" movie is In the Mouth of Madness by John Carpenter.
Not a Lovecraft story, but obviously taken from the general mythos. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been a fan of Battlefield Earth the book. It's terribly written, the science isn't even deserving of the name, it's undoubtedly packed full of subtle Scientologist propaganda, and the characterisation sucks. But it's a fun read all the same.

Its many other faults aside, what - for me - was missing from the film was the book's pulp sci-fi origins. It should have been done in some retro style (something like Mars Attacks!), not badly updated and trying the hardest to increase McDonnell-Douglas' Harrier sales.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About two years or so ago somebody announced that Disney had plans to make On A Pale Horse as a Jamie Foxx comedy vehicle, and I went, Dear God, no. Apparently, plans for that film have fallen by the wayside (forever, if we're lucky).

One that's been bandied around for a loooong time is Clarke's Childhood's End; I remember seeing preproduction artwork for one version of that in Starlog almost thirty years ago. I think technology's finally gotten to the point where it can be done properly. Hell, we know they can do the opening of the book (Independence Day, anyone?). Just, for pity's sake, don't let ILM do CGI Overlords!

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I read at AICN or somewhere that Guillermo del Toro (of Hellboy and Blade 2 fame) was going to do a Lovecraft film.

I'm stil waiting for Hollywood to discover Alfred Bester (since it's already chewed up and spit out Philip K Dick). Until then, maybe a William Gibson movie would be good enough. Idoru seems doable.

Re: Arthur C. Clarke. I don't know if Childhood's End ever came close to appearing, but Morgan Freeman and David Fincher were working on Rendezvous with Rama several years ago. The website still exists: http://www.rendezvouswithrama.com/

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

DelToro is a Lovecraft fan, but frankly, the more Hellboy comics I read, the more I realize he completely blew the movie.

Only Rasputin's character is the one from the comics- everyone else is just cast nicely and looks great, but acts nothing like they should.
...and I raved about the movie when it first came out too- I think most people unfamilliar with the comic would have liked it- it's just completely lacking the cool and weird charm of the comics.

I for one, pray Hollywood never learns of Alfred Bester, or- more likely- his general ideas will be so stolen by other movies that the actual stories (and his name) will be spared the ravages of the "studio treatment".
It will have all been stolen and seen before as a cheap copy (Minority Report), and most moviegoers will die blissfully unaware how hard those movies sucked, or how great the books were.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally thought Verhoven's rape of Starship Troopers was one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, the special effects were cool, but everything else in the movie was in name only from the book. And... I STILL want to see those battlesuits.

I am very fond of Gordon Dickson's "Dorsai" novels though I don't think they'd translate well on screen. But if someone wanted an all out FX extravaganza, there's always the Nathan Brazil/Wellworld series.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stream of consciousness mode:

Forget the books. I'll stick with my BBC radio dramatisation CDs. That's the original version of the H2G2 story and, I think, the best.

I've long thought Starship Troopers and On A Pale Horse would work nicely as miniseries, if done right and treated with respect.

My two unmade biggies are Ringworld and The Pride of Chanur.

And if we Americans could get over our squeamishness about the human body, I think the Xanth series has some potential.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to see "The Dark is Rising" series made into movies. I guess it's not so much sci-fi as fantasy, though.

I think some changes would have to be made to make them interesting on screen, but I'd definitely love to see them.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps