Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BG (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BG
Pwesty
Member # 1035

- posted      Profile for Pwesty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guy and Gals
I have been watching this last season of Ron Moores alterative universe Battlestar Galactic and I am grudgingly starting to like it, which I never thought I would. I have seen the episode with Rich Hatch in them and I was just wondering if anybody else from the normal universe Galactic will make any cameos on the show? Anybody knows if Dirk Benedict or Herb Jefferson Jr. will show up in the future?
Sorry if this has been ask before but I am a very late comer to Ron Moores alterative universe Battlestar.
Pw

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dirk Benedict will likely never be on the show. His feeling on the new Battlestar Galatica are pretty well-known, and he's really pissed off Katee Sackhoff with some of the stuff he's said. So, it's probably never going to happen.
Pwesty
Member # 1035

- posted      Profile for Pwesty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really! From what I have seen I thought that he was ok with it all. Could anybody tell me what he has said about BG and what has gotten him hot water.
Thanks

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check these Google results.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/home/articles-archive.php
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He has a point.

I like the NuBSG, but he does have a point. I'm tired of the formlas, the remakes and so forth.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
He has a point.

I like the NuBSG, but he does have a point. I'm tired of the formlas, the remakes and so forth.

just one former -has been- actor's opinion, sir. What he says DOESN"T matter much....

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand his thoughts, being the one that 'created' Starbuck originally and not wanting to see change, to that extreme, occur. Although it seems his issue is with the stupidity of everyone trying to be so PC on everything, with the money grubbing of the 'suits' following closely behind.

I also agree on the lack of imagination in Hollywood, these remakes are getting out of hand, as are sequels, come on, Final Destination 3? Unfortunately this only goes to show the the vast majority of people are brain dead and lack the ability to think in the box, let alone outside of it. Blood, gore, and sex are what sells, character driven plots will fade more and more till we are left with little more than Faces of Death and XXX movies, and these will be the cartoons.

Ah, well, this is just one person's opinion and doesn't matter, since I do not join in with the rest of the flock.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm totally on the fence with nuBSG -- and it's pointy. One the one hand, I keep holding onto the fading hope that Richard Hatch will somehow get permission to bring forth his Second Coming project. Not a sequel of BSG, but a continuation.

On the other hand, I know what nuBSG might have been, had the Todd Moyer/Glen Larson project not been mercifully taken behind the shed and shot. *shudder*

So in the end, the only way I can happily watch nuBSG is if I do my best to forget that it's supposed to be BSG.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to go all nerd jihad, but I don't even get it. I mean, do we really need the fun prefixes anymore? There's Battlestar Galactica, which is totally awesome, and then there is a goofy show from the 1970s that happened to inspire it. It's like getting bent out of shape because no one talks about the Articles of Confederation anymore.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta agree. I totally respect the original, but when you mention BSG to the SF fan these days, the overwhelming majority will think of - and geenerally think HIGHLY of - the current series.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Pwesty
Member # 1035

I have to again grudgingly agree with you on that statement. But I wish that Moore would have been just a little more loyal to the original namely on the design of the new Battlestar. I have never like the design of the ship or the bridge area in the new ship, the design of the bridge and the design of the original Battlestar are classic and well done but that is my 2 cents on the matter.
Pw

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the look of the current BSG, sleek and powerful, and not all 1970s cold war battleship inside and out). Again, the original was good - but it's dated. I do NOT see anyone coming up with a ship like that in a modern-day show.

I *don't* like the CIC either, but you gotta admit, it MAKES SENSE. And I'm sure that the folks who work in an aircraft carrier's CIC will agree. It ain't glam, but it works like it should.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the CIC makes sense, but I have one question: Who STEERS Galactica? We seem to have answered this question on the Pegasus, but I don't remember anyone doing the same on Galactica.

B.J.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Not to go all nerd jihad, but I don't even get it. I mean, do we really need the fun prefixes anymore? There's Battlestar Galactica, which is totally awesome, and then there is a goofy show from the 1970s that happened to inspire it. It's like getting bent out of shape because no one talks about the Articles of Confederation anymore.

Word.

Also, Dirk Benedict is a petrified, anti-feminist relic** who can't get over the fact that someone happens to be portraying a new character with the same name as his. Which is really what this whole discussion boils down to. Ron Moore took the original premise and a few of the starting character points, and took them in a completely new direction. Richard Hatch had the guts to realize that a well-written drama with an interesting character was worth swallowing his ego for, and now he's got a solid recurring role with an excellent storyline.

My thoughts on the original BSG are quite simple: it had some interesting premises, had some interesting angles, but was so incredibly cheesy that despite enjoying the episodes I did watch, I can't bring myself to go out of the way to watch more of them. The last episode I saw, "Fire In Space", was just so incredibly bad that I completely understand why Moore wrote that internal fire scene for the miniseries (when the Cylon nuke hit the Galactica) � to bring some real science and physics and sensibility to what used to be a very poorly-thought-out show. Just turn a key, decompress the burning sections, and be done with it. Why did it take the full damn hour for seasoned space veterans (as they were supposed to be) to figure that out?

I don't want to sound like a fanboy or a basher, but the fact remains that the original show, for all its merits, never seemed to think the entire concept through. From simple stuff like the Cylons "destroying" the colonies with strafing laser fire, to the silly notion that a mere three days after the whole thing, everyone's already smiling and clean and happy at a party? The whole thing was just half-baked � at least in retrospect. (We all view past works through the goggles of our own times, of course. Just like the original Star Trek, we can't entirely judge its style and say it was wrong to make the show.) Moore felt he was capable of doing a more dramatic and realistic story to tell a relevant and riveting military, political, cultural, and personal drama... and he has succeeded, brilliantly.

** Note: I certainly don't subscribe to the extremes that the term feminism usually refers to these days, but Benedict's views are nothing less than reactionary.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps