Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » DW: "Fear Her" Questions possible $$

Author Topic: DW: "Fear Her" Questions possible $$
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one or two Q's about "Fear Her" I had it downloaded the day after it was shown but I only got around to watching it last night. I'm going to hold off watching the final two episodes until I get both.

Anyway - the Doctor briefly mentioned being a father at some stage - is this a reference to the First Doctor who was known as 'Grandfather' to Susan Foreman?

Rose didn't like the sound of that tid-bit either. She must realise that he's had many lives - although he didn't exactly mention how many different 'lives' he's had.

Also he mentioned his disdain of cats - something about being in a Nun's Wibble or something?? Was this another reference to an earlier series' episode?

He also made a passing reference to sympathising with that alien since he too had travelled for a very long time alone... I thought he always seemed to have a companion - or there are long stretches of the Doctor's life we don't see. OR he travelled a very long time alone as the First Doctor or possibly the Eight Doctor?

The episode was not BAD - it wasn't spectacular - but a nice episode none-the-less. For once an alien who has caused the problems out of love and longing than trying to take over the universe.

SO if London pulls of disappearing and reappearing 80,000 people in 2012 - i'll be impressed! [Smile]

I liked how - at the end - he... we'll I don't want to spoil it for everyone who has stumbled across this thread.

Oh and YES - fantastic cakes with the 'edible ball-bearings' - I used to love them! What ARE they made of - just sugar aren't they?

I liked the effect of him rubbing out the 'scribble monster'.

And his analyser on the TARDIS looked like a bunch of goo.

Oh and I like his landing and then re-landing of the TARDIS.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked his Vulcan salute.

One more thing - did the other Doctors have the mind-abilities that the 10th doctor has.

Oh and I think more of a 'catch-phrase' if you can say that for the 10th Doctor instead of I'm sorry I'm really, really sorry - is more - the about bursts he has. Fingers on lips! [Smile]

Andrew

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also he mentioned his disdain of cats - something about being in a Nun's Wibble or something?? Was this another reference to an earlier series' episode?

That's a reference to 'New Earth' the first regular episode with David Tennant in.

quote:
He also made a passing reference to sympathising with that alien since he too had travelled for a very long time alone... I thought he always seemed to have a companion - or there are long stretches of the Doctor's life we don't see. OR he travelled a very long time alone as the First Doctor or possibly the Eight Doctor?

Well, there is a certain ambiguity about the Doctor's age, but it appears that he's been going by the name Doctor for around 900 years which leaves quite a lot of time unaccounted for.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing chronologically that is hard to reconcile is the Doctor's purported age of 900. Even if you allow for "downtime" between episodes where he and the companion of the week are just out junking or whatever, its still hard to take the collective Doctors and figure more than a couple hundred years. Given the Doctor's propensity for putting his life in danger, its hard to imagine he lived for 700 years before turning into Troughton. While I imagine the first couple hundred years were spent "growing up" and learning the "Meddling Time Lord�" trade, there would still be 3-400 years of adventures where he was the first doctor.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which makes one wonder: if TroughtonDoc hadn't been put in a place to need regenerating, would he simply have died from Stuffy Cantankerous British Old Man-ism like anyone else?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or he would've cacked and they'd have been able to make "Weekend at Bernie's III: Is there a Doctor in the house?"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wikipedia has a good analysis of the Doctor's age, just go look up this article and get to the Doctor's own article from there. I would have linked to it directly here but Flare doesn't seem to allow links that have parentheses in the URL...in any event it's a useful enough breakdown of the Doctor's age, which seems to range from 900 or so to about 1,136 depending on how you view the continuity and interpret certain lines.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:

That's a reference to 'New Earth' the first regular episode with David Tennant in.
Of course! I didn't associate that ginger moggy with those freaky walking humanoid cats for some reason.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Anyway - the Doctor briefly mentioned being a father at some stage - is this a reference to the First Doctor who was known as 'Grandfather' to Susan Foreman?"

I hope so. I never did like the theory that the Doctor couldn't possibly be a real grandfather, and therefore Susan was just another companion.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps