Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » In what way...

Author Topic: In what way...
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When all the movies come out on video and DVD, including eps 2 & 3, how will you show them to your kids?
I would do it with the original trilogy first, as to have it be a surprise that Darth Vader is Luke's father and that Yoda is the creature in ESB.
Any other thoughts?

--------------------
Meh

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would make sure that your kids watch the non-special edition versions of EPs 4-6 first. (Don't even get me started on how Greedo did not shoot first.) If they want to see the SEs later, Ok, but for purity's sake go with the non-SE, first.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with Balaam on this. I'd want my kids to see the Star Wars saga the same way I did. I'd pull out my old VHS copies of the movies and play for the kiddos. Then I'd ask them if they wanted to see the special editions. If they did, we run through that and save the second trilogy for the next day. If they didn't, we run straight into the episodes 1 through 3 and save 4 through 6 special edition for another day.

I guess I'd also feed my kids a lot of sugar and caffeine first so that they can bug their mother while I'm in the garage chugging beers.

[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You chug beers in the garbage? Remind me, if presented with the opportunity, never to go drinking with you.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh darn it! I really shouldn't make anymore posts when I'm exhausted beyond belief. The error is fixed now, Mr. I-Must-Point-All-Of-Siegfried's-Flaws. Are you sure you're not one of my relatives?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd show my kids the original 3 movies first, then the new ones. then i'd show them chronologically (ep 1,2,3. then ep 4,5,6) , so they won't sit there wondering what the hell was goin on.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest the movies and not 'make' my kids watch them. I know parents that do that. Fucking assholes.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they make them watch episode 1, then maybe. Still, a parent has to give up a lot for kids. I think they have the right to make them sit through 6 hours of fairly entertaining TV. Lord knows I've tried to get my nephews to watch quality programming. Although trying to get a 6 year old to watch Pokemon is like trying to get Lee to be sarcastic. Not hard. Still, I've got him on Star Wars, and every quality show on Cartoon Network. Which is three and a half shows admittadly (DBZ is the "half" for the people still actually reading).

Parents who force there kids to watch Star Wars and inject heroin into their penises are, perhaps, a bit worse.

"i'd show my kids the original 3 movies first, then the new ones. then i'd show them chronologically (ep 1,2,3. then ep 4,5,6) , so they won't sit there wondering what the hell was goin on."

I'm sure they could figure it out. I tell them "episode 1 takes place before the other 3". They say "okay". Understanding blossoms.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Padawan_Learner
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I would suggest the films to my children, I would not "make" them watch it. It's their decision to make. If they did get interested in it somewhat, I would suggest for them to watch the Classic Trilogy before watching the Prequel Trilogy. Some surprises in the CT will be ruined if they watch the PT first.
IP: Logged
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I already have a six-year-old daughter, my answer will be in the past tense instead of the future (Eps 2 & 3 aside). Unlike everyone else at this board I decided to have her start with Episode I. She’s seen about five minutes of ANH, but since we haven’t gotten around to watching the rest of it and Episode II is only six months away, we will probably wait.

I don’t think that the people arguing about forcing kids to watch SW are parents. With the proper amount of propaganda, you can convince your kid that they have always wanted to watch the movies and it was their idea in the first place. Then again, my daughter will watch anything we are watching on TV if we let her.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember folks, if you want to reserruct an old thread, make sure it's mine!

--------------------
Meh

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps