Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Color of Sandtrooper's Shoulder Pads (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Color of Sandtrooper's Shoulder Pads
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hola!

In "Star Wars - Episode II: A New Hope: Special Edition" You thought it was forgotten, Mim?, the Empire sends Sandtroopers to Tatooine to look for the 'droids. They're on foot, on dewback, in the desert wastes and in Mos Eisley (and, presumeably, Mos Espa ... assuming they're close ...)

Now, they differ from Stormtroopers in three major ways:

a) They wear back-packs (presumeably filled with water and survival gear)

b) They wear shoulder pads (I want to say 'pantaloons').

c) They're really dirty.

The 'pantaloons' (I think) are all different colors. Some have grey, some white, some red.

So ... what I want to know ... do the different colors signify anything?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know, but I have to tell you there's a mistake in your post, it's IV, not II. Sorry, but I feel a bit obsessively compulsive today.

Oh, and:

pan�ta�loon (pnt-ln)
n.

Men's wide breeches extending from waist to ankle, worn especially in England in the late 17th century. Often used in the plural.
Tight trousers extending from waist to ankle with straps passing under the instep, worn especially in the 19th century. Often used in the plural.
Trousers; pants. Often used in the plural.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could the word you want be 'epaulettes?'

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm pretty sure not. Doh! It is episode IV! Mim will kill me!

http://captainpiett.tripod.com/sand26.html

See the orange thingy?

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

No, I'm pretty sure not. Doh! It is episode IV! Mim will kill me!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...But pantaloons are...um...pants. Like from the 16-17th centuries. Think Shakespeare in Love.

Don't know if they signify anything, but I don't think Lucas was thinking of it when he had 'em designed.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say what you want, at least epaulettes have this whole "worn on the shoulder" thing going that pantaloons are sorely lacking.

Personally, I always wondered what they were trying to say when 2 out of the three Stormtrooper weapons seen are of British design - the sidearm is a modified Sterling SMG, you got this Vickers machinegun here (or was it a Lewis? Always mixing them up); the third of course being a German MG-34.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Got it. "Pauldron."

So -- what do the different color pauldrons mean?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only ever remember seeing orange. Maybe it helps them stand out against the desert background?

But I think Mim is right though...I think they just wanted to do something a little different with the ground based troopers than all the ones we'd see up to that point. I doubt tons of thought was put into what everything "meant".

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

There were also white and grey.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White, Grey, Orange, Red, and Black, to be precise.

-MMoM

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, I guess they probably denote rank. Black for Captain, Red for Lieutenant, White for Sergeant, Orange for Corporal, Grey for Private? ::shrug::

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall something about colours and the British Army. They have a rank called "Colour Sergeant". This guy or gal is in charge of soldiers under a colour - almost like a team. At school (years and years ago) the classes were split into four teams for sports and "team work" (kinda like homework)- red, yellow, green and blue. I'm totally guessing here that these different coloured segments of the uniforms represent a similar meaning. Anyone British who knows what I'm talking about, please prove me right or wrong!

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea.

Aren't you British anyway, Akabay? (And isn't there something easier we can call you? That name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Uh, there's color guard in the U.S. too. As far as I know, they both just do stuff with the flag and what not.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps