Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » The Force is strong in this one... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Force is strong in this one...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, to the credit of Jacob here and Mr. Saxton over at the SWTC's, General Calrissian almost exclusively referred to the Executor as 'the command ship'. IIRC the Tydirium crew also called it a command ship.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So Akbar is a moron?
no, he was a very stressed, non native english speaking fish.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but when he said "target that SSD", nobody said "huh?"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i'm sure they were just like "oh that ackbar, always screwin' up the english. i'd correct him, but if i didn't do my job controllin' this here deflector screen we'd be fried". maybe someone took him to task after the battle.

--jacob

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I don't think they really speak English in "Star Wars."

And, er, sorry, you've got as much evidence the ship wasn't an SSD as it was -- calling something a command ship is a refernece to its job, not what it is. A police car is a police car regardless if its a Mustang or a Crown Vic.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i give up. i will have to go the way of koy'peled Oy'tio and start speaking gibberish. obvisouly they don't speak english. it was a joke. about the executor, believe what you like. but you are wrong Snay, and you will have to live with that knowledge *bwa ha ha ha*. man, i need to get some sleep.

--jacob

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

OMG. I'm in an arguement with a guy who refuses to believe the Executor is a Super Star Destroyer.

OMG.

William Shatner sketch now, please.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you do realize the, uh, "respected majority opinion," such as it is, is on his side, yes? Personally, I've always found this sort of attention indescribably creepy when applied to Star Wars. And yet, look at how I spend my days. So what do I know?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Star Wars contingent has the whole aspect of encylopediae, books, reference materials, reference websites, discussion forums and other media available to nitpick to the tinest detail the agonizingly little points about Star Destroyers and whatnot. So, I suppose, there's where the creepiness kicks in.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The typo-maiden aided me, I now proclaim the correct term to be "Superb Star Destroyer"!

It was called SSD simply because it was a bigger version of the only known ship that resembles it, don't read anything else into it or you'll turn grayhaired overnight. And walking in stairs and masturbating will become straining. As separate events, I mean. Yes, combining them would be dangerous.

[ May 05, 2002, 01:48: Message edited by: Nim Pim ]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The colloquial term "super star destroyer"should be avoided. This is not mere pedantry; the term is actually misleading. In addition to its connection with the confusion over Executor's length, the term is also applied to some vessels which clearly belong to different classes: eg. Allegiance and Eclipse in Dark Empire, which only share little more than the distinction of being slightly or greatly bigger than one-mile destroyers.
Question for you, EdipisReks.

Which source of information do you find more thrustworthy: Ackbar's line -- which is canon -- or a comic written by a bunch of obsessed fanboys?

Walking in stairs is straining? You must have a weird staircase.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

well, dark empire is crap, and ackbar's line was a mistake. read into it what you will. the quote talks of non-canon (but official) items to illustrate how "super star destroyer" is a term that is rife with misunderstanding and encompasses far to many ship types. yes, ackbar's line is canon, but that does not make it correct. dark empire is about a time frame that is not protrayed in movies, so unless movies contradict the comic it is correct to address ships designations that the comic uses in the same light as any canon. star wars doesn't work quite the same was as trek.
can we get back to talking about that fan movie now? [Smile]

--jacob

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for bad acting!

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one's worth pulling a deck chair up to and watching.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

the acting is bad, but it was a lot better than most fan films that i have had the bad luck to see.

--jacob

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps