Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Knights of the Old Republic (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Knights of the Old Republic
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But my point is that those needs are not just not what the technology becomes known for, but often are not used at all by anyone. Nobody uses telephones to transmit concerts over long distances, for instance, as was, I seem to recall, one of Bell's goals. Furthermore, again, there's no way anyone can predict the uses a technology will be put to, or what future technologies that technology will spawn.

Beyond which, I'd almost go so far as to doubt the veracity of the old Necessity maxim. It seems to me that many discoveries are not made intentionally, but by happy accident.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
let's just agree to disagree [Smile] . you are correct with your individual points, but i disagree with your overall assesment, for the most part. i think that most inventions are purposely made. the uses may very well be changed, nobody can disagree with that, but an original underlying need started it.

however,anyone who has been on hold for a while would disagree with your statement
quote:
Nobody uses telephones to transmit concerts over long distances, for instance, as was, I seem to recall, one of Bell's goals.
[Big Grin] i HATE hold music [Mad] [Smile] .

--jacob

IP: Logged
Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe i reckon a lot of the stuff was invented (sceretly) coz of laziness. Come on, why'd invent the elevator when u have stairs! [Big Grin]

*puts on flame retardant suit*

*runs away*

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, laziness can be a need. i know it is for me [Big Grin] .

--jacob

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, elevators came from factories, construction sites, and where horsies and cows, among other things, had problems taking the stairs. Hence, need.

First elevator was french, IIRC, IMOSHO, ROFLMAOASB. Read it in a science-mag that had a monthly article-piece about inventions and their origin.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps